printing on mat

newtrall

Grumbler in Training
About to bid on a corprate job. Client would like art/design to be printed directly onto the matboard. Any one I can outsource to? I have check with local printshops. No one set up for such a thing here. Ideas? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Maybe give Wizard a call and see if they sold any of the Da Vinci systems in your area.

You could layout your text on the computer and save the file as a word-processing document. Take or send this to a local service bureau that does pre-press work for ad agencies and graphic designers. Tell them you want it converted to a Matricolor or Identicolor output. You will receive a printout in the form of a rub-on transfer that you can apply directly to the mat. This then needs to be burnished down while covered with the included protective tissue.
I use this technique for putting the names on the mats for school class photos etc. The text can be any color you want, using the Pantone matching system.

:cool: Rick

They can also be screen printed. I did a job for a local corporation as part of a year long promotion to some of their affiliated corps. It involved screen printing their logo and particular copy on each of 4 sets of mat boards, for 4 different events. I took the job to someone that does commercial screen printing and they did a great job.
There are certain surfaces that accept the inks better than others. Check with the printer and the mat board co. before making a selection.

Newtrall,

You didn't mention what size you need.

Cyndi

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I do not have all of the details yet. I am meeting with the client tomorrow.

Is there some reason for this or are they just trying to be cheap? Does or do the image(s) belong to them? It would be against copyright law to scan in an image and reprint it.

Most of the Crescent mat colors are available on paper. You could print on the paper then drymount that onto matboard.

Anyone with an Epson 7600/9600/10600 can do this for you in a snap. Almost all other large format printers can run matboard aswell (I like the bainbridge Vellum surface for printing on).

Actually a good corp jobby could be enough to buy your own printer...

What I have done when letters or images needed to be on the mat was to print them on the right color paper, mount it on the matboard, and then cut the mat.

What worked out cool about this was that I could print the logo in light grey as an all-over pattern, and make a "company matboard".

The owner of the company came to pick it up herself, and was actually bouncing up and down because she liked it so much.

Newtrall,

Carol and Rich Riman have our da Vinci software and large format printers. Their frame shop is in Massachusetts. The da Vinci software is the program we designed specifically for printing on mat board. Feel free to call me and I will put you in touch with Rich and Carol.

I have worked with rub-tranfers before. I like the fact that I would be able to cut the opening the line up the tranfer accordingly. I do not like the idea of having to do 120 of them. Not to mention we have selected a shadowbox design. Lots o' labor there already.

Edd- How does the da Vinci work? Should the opening be cut first then printed on?

Back