• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

PRIMUS SUCKS

CharoDesigns210

Grumbler
Good day all, hope things are well and safe with everyone.

Here is a frame up I designed and built for a friend of mine a couple months ago. It is for a PRIMUS print created by Ivan Minsloff for a Grand Prairie show. With PRIMUS being one of my favorite bands, I just knew I had to create something that will not only add to the artists print design but also show the love I have for the band.

After finalizing the design, it made sense to use a piece of 3/4" mdf board. I laid and cut out the design, then painted and outlined the panels. It is double matted, using a black lower mat and top off-white mat to match the print.

I am still new to framing and am learning as I go, but would appreciate any feedback on any design factors I may have overlooked.

Thanks,
Charo Designs

P.S. - PRIMUS fans show their love and admiration by shouting "PRIMUS SUCKS" at shows, hence the title of my post.

20180923_110550.jpg 20200319_203816.jpg 20200326_182941.jpg 20200326_184356.jpg 20200420_194559.jpg 20200530_150743.jpg 20200530_153900.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I'm not familiar with PRIMUS, but that is a fun and creative frame job. Kudos!
My only concern is the use of MDF, but as long as the piece is kept in a relatively stable environment, that shouldn't be an issue. MDF and humidity are not friends, but proper sealing and priming help to mitigate that.
Keep posting your creations.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
It reminds me bit of my fav Playboy cover.

pb0954.jpg

CharoDesigns210

Grumbler
Thanks guys.

Yes, I gave it 7 coats of sealer with light sanding between each before applying 5 coats of each color and 5 coats of black I used to outline each section. I made sure my buddy wouldn't have any issues with it while they have it displayed in their game room.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
Looks great!

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Well, if Primus Sucks, your frame and design definitely doesn't suck.:cool:
Great job!:thumbsup:

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

GreyDrakkon

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Wow you nailed it! I was skeptical from your description of choosing to go with a black and white mat, but nope perfect choice to give the eyes a chance to rest between the print and the frame.

I got to see Primus live with the Chemical Brothers at Great Woods ages ago. It had rained all that morning so there was a massive muddy mosh pit which of course went wild when "My Name is Mud" started up.

CharoDesigns210

Grumbler
Thanks! I was really wanting to go with the green and yellow mats I had designed it with at first, but changed my mind last minute and I think it came out even better. Just like you mentioned, it helps rest your eyes between the print and frame.

Wasn't at that show, but have been to a few with a similar situation. Makes for unforgettable memories!

Thank you all for the positive feedback, I was hesitant on posting but glad I did. I'll post a few more I think may be worthy of showing off.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Thank you all for the positive feedback, I was hesitant on posting but glad I did. I'll post a few more I think may be worthy of showing off.
I am glad you shared this with us. Please never hesitate to post any designs. I find it very inspirational. And yours are so very different from anything else, looking forward to seeing a lot more!

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC