• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Preferred lighting

Alexander

Grumbler
Today I finished framing a photograph and was content that there was no dust inside the frame. I took the picture to another working area I have with natural light and I could see several motes of dust on the inside. Usual frustration ensued. 😫
The dust was visible in the natural light but not in the part of my workshop with fluorescent tube lighting. As in the winter it is dark here in Norway most of the time, I must use my artificial light.
The short question is, what is the best type of lighting for your workshop (given that I don't have a fortune to spend)?

MitchelC

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I use 5000K: Click HERE to see what I use. It is as clear as daylight....what you see inside is the same as what you see outside. Before these came out, I use "daylight" florescent lights. When customers look at mat colors INSIDE, hey see the exact same color OUTSIDE. ☺

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
In many applications, LED is the way to go these days. However, existing fluorescent lighting can be serviceable, so long as the lamps are replaced on a proper schedule.

Perhaps the problem is not your light source, but the age of your lamps. Many people do not realize that, although fluorescent lamps will burn for many years, they emit their promised light level for only about 20,000 hours. Beyond that time, their light level diminishes. Sometimes they will eventually "burn out", but more often their output diminishes to the point that they just glow and emit almost no light.

If you cannot come up to a suitable light level with your installed lighting, a hand-held light can serve the purpose of inspections.

Alexander

Grumbler
Guess I'd better get myself into the 21st century and get some of those new fangled led lights. 😀
Never knew that Jim, i'll keep that in mind.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Can i put an led light tube in the old light fixing?
You need to use "ballast compatible" LED tubes in an older fixture.
It may be different in Norway, I only know the U.S.

(based on the man's accent, he must be from Canada 🇨🇦 ..:thumbsup:)

Last edited:
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.