• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Pneumatic Morso Issue

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Business
Canal Gallery
Anyone here familiar with pneumatic Morsos? Mine has a problem with the block not returning from the bottom of the cut. It stays down until it feels good and ready to pop back up. Pressure is good, no other changes to the procedures I’ve been following for the last 25 years.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Is it Pneumatic (runs on air), or Hydraulic (runs on oil)? I think both animals exist out there.

If it is the Hydraulic flavor, here is the user manual and it has some troubleshooting steps as well as the type of oil that should be changed annually.

If pneumatic, does it get periodic lubrication or does it have an auto oiler?

I dont have a pneumatic Mors0, but periodically we have had such a problem with our vnailer. In the case of the vnailer, I de pressurize it, open up the piston and clean off any residue. I'm not suggesting that you do so, or that they are the same, but that was my experience with the main piston in our vnailer. Hopefully someone who has one will have some good advice for getting it working like new again!

If not, the contact info is also in the above document. They sometimes visit the forum, too.

Best regards

tedh

Business
Canal Gallery
Hi, Mike!

It’s the model H, pneumatic. I tried Tech Mark, but they must be busy. Can’t find a manual for the air model anywhere. If I do, I’ll be sure to post it in Larry’s Library.

Good advice to disassemble it where possible. I’ll be taking apart the two glass-bottle filters this weekend. Maybe there’s a clog.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
It sounds like the valve that dumps the pressure needed for the downcut isn't functioning properly. It would release the pressure that pushes the blades down and allow it to return to the raised position.
Have you been introducing pneumatic lubricant into the line, or have an automatic line oiler installed? It could be something as simple as that to allow the valves to open and close freely.
This is a wild guess. I have a little squirt bottle of pneumatic machinery oil that I use every blue moon or so the help lubricate the internal workings of my underpinner, and it just occurred to me that this might be pertinent to your dilemma.

Tech Mark is a small company and the tech expert may not be able to get back quickly. An option would be to contact Hoffmann Machinery and see if they have any advice. They are dealers for new Morso machinery.

tedh

Business
Canal Gallery
Thanks, Wally. I may be under-lubricating it by adding oil at the compressor end instead of at the Morso end. I’ll do that this weekend as well as clean out the bottles.
BTW: are you using a pneumatic Morso?

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
I have a manual Jyden, but other pneumatics and they pretty much all work the same way.
The problem could be in the foot pedal which controls the opening and closing of the valves.
That is the only thing I have ever had to replace on my underpinner which uses the same technology as the chopper to function.
I have had to replace the valve block on the Wizard that controls the entrance and exit of the blade, which is also just a simple piston action.

tedh

Business
Canal Gallery
Hey Wally: following up on the oiling: Tech Mark, (Jill) directed me to Mark, one of their tech support guys, and he told me right away that it was a stuck valve. Over the weekend I found the oil reservoir was crapped up with a bit of water, so I fixed that, and this morning Mark told me to inject WD 40 to help unstick the valve. It’s working a bit, but not consistently. Hopefully the lube will penetrate over time.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
WD40? Really? You must not have listened to Car Talk on Saturday mornings. You want a penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench and you will want to rebuild the oil reservoir and use oil specifically designed for pneumatics.
the WD in WD40 stands for Water Displacement. It was developed to disperse water, not lubricate. It will work in the short run, but you want something with a little staying power. Liquid Wrench has minimal viscosity and really gets into the smallest spaces and literally soaks through rust. Almost as good as water for that.

tedh

Business
Canal Gallery
I think the WD40 intent was to thin out a blockage. I refilled the in-line oiler with air tool oil. It may need a bit of heat, too. The workshop is running high 40s, low 50s. I may add extra heat.
Liquid Wrench is a good idea. I’ll pick some up tonight.

Love the technology. Text a couple of photos, and the tech knows exactly what I’m talking about.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
"The workshop is running high 40s, low 50s. I may add extra heat."

Said no one in Florida.

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping