• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Plastic Framed 61" x 45" Advice

Ad Banner for SmallCorp

ybakos

Grumbler in Training
Business
TwentySix Cafe
Hi Framers,
I'm an amateur seeking your advice. I had a local frame shop frame a large 60"x44" map, and to keep the price and weight down I was recommended a vinyl/plastic "fake wood" frame.

After hanging, the top edge flexes/bends and bows out from the wall. The plexiglass also bends, such that there's a big gap between it and the paper map. I've lived with it for a couple years, but can't bear it any more!

Do any of you have suggestions on how I might either:
  • "brace" or reinforce the top edge of the frame to keep it from flexing / bending / bowing out
  • change the mount points of the hanging wire to reduce pressure causing the bending
  • redo the whole mounting with tools/techniques/hardware that I do not know about
I've considered "Hangman" or French Cleat mounting, but I worry that this will just cause the thing to sag downward. (?)

I'm open to anything, but would like to keep the existing frame (don't want to pay to have it completely re-framed).

The frame is 61" x 45", 3" wide and 3/4" thick. Photos are attached here.

Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• frame material.jpeg
    frame material.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • back of frame.jpeg
    back of frame.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Welcome to the G.
There are a number of steps in remedy short of replacement, though this kind of combination was never designed for anything that big.
Not necessarily in the correct order:
Get rid of the wire hanger and use a two point hanging system on the vertical rails, or a cleat hanger as you suggested, but perhaps on both top and bottom rails,. The inward force created by the wire is a large part of the problem.
Reinforce the frame with a more rigid backing, like a piece of 1/4" plywood or Masonite panel screwed directly into the back of the frame.
Plexiglas (Acrylic) was probably the right choice, but what thickness? The most common is 1/8" (.118") and would be marginal at that size, and certainly add little rigidity to the engineering. If you are able to beef up the framing and use a more well designed hanging system, the acrylic might not be an issue.

ybakos

Grumbler in Training
Business
TwentySix Cafe
Oooh, I like it. I think I'll start with reinforcing the backing, especially to get the lingering flex out of the frame. Do you think 1/8" or 3/16" hardboard/masonite would be too thin? Guess I can hit the hardware store and see what thickness is stiff enough at this size.

Thank you for those ideas.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Business
Canal Gallery
1/8th should be fine, but that wire has got to go. Drop by frame shop and ask for a couple of double D rings. Screw them into the hardboard and frame about 1/3 of the way down, and hang them on two 40-pound hangers.

Attachments

• 5AE86B10-D9AB-4109-9CED-CBC8D53350BA.jpeg
    5AE86B10-D9AB-4109-9CED-CBC8D53350BA.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 0
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC