Plastic Frame glue?

Trish

True Grumbler
What the best glue to use on a plastic frame? Repairing a frame for customer that is cracked and pulling, it has important sentimental value. I only work with wood frames or have vendor join ecofriendly.

It depends on the "plastic".

If it is a poly moulding you could attempt a repair with either a cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) or the methyl methacrylate glue sold by the suppliers who carry poly mouldings. You have to be super careful to the point of paranoia to avoid the glue touching the visible side of the frame as it will strip the finish straight off and good luck trying to fudge over that. You have to apply the bare minimum of glue to the join then clamp it without letting any glue squish out through the top and cross your fingers

If it is a moulded plastic frame such as Woolworths might sell it is probably a hollow section with very little surface area for the glue to bind to and this is not going to end well.

Generally, i used to regard repairing a poly frame as "Mission Impossible", certainly it is not viable in terms of time versus replacement cost versus end result.

Jim Miller and I will debate until the cows come home, on which glue. He's with Artfolio.

I use that yellow ABS glue that plumbers use on black pipe. I talked to the owner of Uniko frames, a manufacturer of plastic moldings in Montreal, who told me that his customers, big art wholesalers in Torono, use a mixture of acetone and frame dust. That's pretty close to the ABS glue that I use.

It depends on the "plastic".

If it is a poly moulding you could attempt a repair with either a cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) or the methyl methacrylate glue sold by the suppliers who carry poly mouldings. You have to be super careful to the point of paranoia to avoid the glue touching the visible side of the frame as it will strip the finish straight off and good luck trying to fudge over that. You have to apply the bare minimum of glue to the join then clamp it without letting any glue squish out through the top and cross your fingers

If it is a moulded plastic frame such as Woolworths might sell it is probably a hollow section with very little surface area for the glue to bind to and this is not going to end well.

Generally, i used to regard repairing a poly frame as "Mission Impossible", certainly it is not viable in terms of time versus replacement cost versus end result.
Thanks! A store bought frame that is part of a pair. Yes she realizes I am attempting and may not have success- totally not worth it but it was family members. Appreciate the suggestions and feedback!!!

Jim Miller and I will debate until the cows come home, on which glue. He's with Artfolio.

I use that yellow ABS glue that plumbers use on black pipe. I talked to the owner of Uniko frames, a manufacturer of plastic moldings in Montreal, who told me that his customers, big art wholesalers in Torono, use a mixture of acetone and frame dust. That's pretty close to the ABS glue that I use.
Thanks!!!

Back