• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Pilm Mitre Guillotine!

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Image Blocks

Grumbler in Training
Hi Folks,

I run a photographic printing business over in Ireland.
I am frequently asked if I do framing, so, to get straight to the point I am looking at getting involved as I have a lot of customers that use my services, all professional photographers.

I am close to buying a second hand Guillotine, advert pics looked like a Morso F type but now (after a few questions) turns out to be a brand called 'Pilm' which seem to be based in Italy.
I am aware that Morso is probably the original and best but does anyone know of, own or have used a Pilm Guillotine.

Any feedback is much appreciated so I don't waste money on this,
Brian.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Hello Brian, I always try to stick with the name brands because if something breaks you can generally get parts. Pilm Guillotine has been around for awhile but Morso has been around the longest and they are still in business. I don't know much about Pilm because nobody has really said they have a Pilm chopper around here. Maybe in Europe they are more popular?

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Welcome to the Grumble, Brian.

The Pilm actually looks more like the Hansen chopper.
I have not used a Pilm but the foot peddle, guards and measuring arm and stop looks very much like a Hansen.

Hansen and Morso are very similar and use the same blades.
I don't know if the Pilm can use Morso blades.

I have used a number of Morsos over the years and I had a Hansen which to me was like a better version of a Morso.
The Hansen had a left feed arm which the Morso doesn't have and it had a better measuring arm and a better stop and production stop system and it also had a waste chute in the back that the Morso didn't have.
The main thing is parts availability and if blades are the same as Morso.
You might talk to Tech Mark and their tech service to ask about the Pilm.
They would probably have more info.
http://www.tech-mark.com/millwork

Hansen choppers are no longer made and I sold mine last year.
It was excellent and very clean but I had it at home and we have other equipment at work so I wasn't using it enough to keep it.

Here is a picture of my Hansen and one of a Pilm.
They have the same left side feed, same foot peddle, same decals on the plastic blade guards, same blade guards, same base with bolt holes to bolt to the floor, same measuring arm with stops, and it looks like the Pilm has a rear waste chute as well.
(you can just see it under the front blade handle and above the foot peddle and in the first small picture on the left in the Pilm ad)
Basically, the Pilm is a Hansen in my opinion.
UFE2652_large.jpg UFE2652b_large.jpg faba311c9f4d43454ff1ad8f35a077abcb069a97.jpg

Last edited:

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
The Hansen had a left feed arm which the Morso doesn't have and it had a better measuring arm and a better stop and production stop system and it also had a waste chute in the back that the Morso didn't have.

My Morso has a left feed arm...

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
My Morso has a left feed arm...

I have used about 8 different Morsos and for some reason, none of them had a left arm.:eek:
We always just used an adjustable roller arm from Home Depot or we made a left feed out of wood.
Also, none of them had a waste chute.

One of the Morsos that I used was so old that it didn't even have a direct read measuring arm.
You had to convert the measure based on the width of the moulding.

That said, I still believe that the Pilm is the same as a Hansen.
The Hansen was made in Denmark as is Morso.
Maybe Pilm got the right to just make them in France.

I'm curious myself about this and I might talk to Jill at Tech Mark about this.

Here's one that I just sold to another framer in Arizona.
It's an older one.
We are expanding our shop now and we got this Morso from a local shop along with other equipment from them.
I sold it to a shop in Sedona AZ and it also didn't have the left side feed arm.
IMG_1102.JPG

Last edited:
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Here is my Morso

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
That's a beauty, a clean, mean chopping machine!
You've got the newer style measuring arm, not the hard to read engraved measuring arm as in my picture of the one we just sold.
I see that the left side in-feed arm is a different color than the rest of the green Morso.
I wonder if someone added the left side arm at some point before you got it.

If you look at the chopper peddle, the Morso has the double arms on the foot peddle and the Pilm and the Hansen have a single center post (it's very "beefy") on their foot peddle.

Last edited:

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
You've got the newer style measuring arm, not the hard to read engraved measuring arm as in my picture of the one we just sold.

We have the hard-to-read engraved scale on both our Morsos. But we don't generally use them. The one is primarily used for Corner Samples, and we just have reference marks on the fence and stop.

The other, we have removed the stock fence completely and use a TigerStop. We have a program that looks up the width of the moulding, accounts for the rabbet width, allowance and calculates the OD of the pieces (it also will calculate correctly if you have specified Sight Size, and of course Outside is pretty simple). We print that dimension as a bar code to make it even simpler. Very accurate and fast, but you DO still have to scan the right bar code...

D7K_6901m.jpg

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
The other, we have removed the stock fence completely and use a TigerStop. We have a program that looks up the width of the moulding, accounts for the rabbet width, allowance and calculates the OD of the pieces (it also will calculate correctly if you have specified Sight Size, and of course Outside is pretty simple). We print that dimension as a bar code to make it even simpler. Very accurate and fast, but you DO still have to scan the right bar code...

I like -

Fsimard

True Grumbler
We have the hard-to-read engraved scale on both our Morsos. But we don't generally use them. The one is primarily used for Corner Samples, and we just have reference marks on the fence and stop.

View attachment 28629
Very impressive setup!
I’m new to the Morso world. I met Alex from Adjective who convinced me that it’s a good solution for hardwoods, and I will never go back!

It’s good to know that you can adapt a Tigerstop on a Morso.
The first thing I did with mine was to remove the original measuring guide and stop for a custom made 100” guide.
I always work with the outer measures, automatically calculated on a spreadsheet.

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
One thing the David didn't mention but is extremely important is that the in feed and out feed tables be perfectly flat and exactly level with the cutting surface. If the tables aren't exactly level with the cutting surface the cut may not be perfectly perpendicular leaving a small gap in the join.

I can see in David's photo that the out feed is that way and can only assume that the in feed is as well.

If you are using the Morso in feed extension, roller stands or something else make sure it is exactly level with the cutting surface. Don't let the moulding droop.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Business
Canal Gallery
Wish I had a steel infeed table, in the same manner as the Morso outfeed. It would help to identify the usual twisted Larson molding before the first cut. Right now I have to rely on eyeballing it.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Wish I had a steel infeed table, in the same manner as the Morso outfeed. It would help to identify the usual twisted Larson molding before the first cut. Right now I have to rely on eyeballing it.
And the twisted Omega moulding and the twisted CMI moulding and the twisted, oh well......I could go on and on...:confused::oops::rolleyes::p
We're using a CTD D45 saw now that has a steel infeed and a steel measuring outfeed.
And the moulding can "rock" now, but not always in a good way.:cool:

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Business
Canal Gallery
Believe it or not, Arquati doesn't sell twisted molding. We have a distributor up here who sells a small number of Arquati profiles, and I have yet to b*tch about twist.

Keith L Hewitt

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Business
Mfg & exporting mat boards
Hello Brian FROM IRELAND.
I assume you realise you have posted on the USA forum
Suggesting speaking to http://www.tech-mark.com/millwork is not going to help you much as they are USA based
Better you speak to either Acorn Framing Supplies in Dublin. They know your market. Tel 01 827 0395 - Martin or Sean
Also I suggest you ask Lion UK to send you one of their superb 200 page catalogues which is like a bible
of information about just everything a framer needs.
www.lionpic.co.uk Tel + 44 121 773 1230 - Jack for anything to do with machinery
The UK and Ireland forums are
www.theframersforum.com
Or a new one www.theframersnetwork.com

Good luck with your framing ambitions.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC
W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades