• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Question Phony email to my computer

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I got an email today which my computer had screened out and put it in the "junk" file.
I have a Mac and I have had no issues with it.
The computer knew it was junk and I would have even if it was in my inbox.

I have emailed a few members of our cancer support group recently to try to set up an online meeting and the email I got that was in junk was addressed to me, used the first names of the husband and wife who run our group in the "From" line and the "To" line said "You".
Then the message line said "I should have sent this earlier" and then a link to click on...:icon11:

I knew it was phony right away and I didn't click on the link.

I wonder if my email was hacked or was it the leader of our group who was hacked?
I might contact other members to see if they got anything similar.

The email address from the sender had a "terra.com.br" address which apparently is in Brazil..:fire:

Any info on something like this is appreciated.

Last edited:

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Seems more likely that your friend's email was hacked. Check with them and have them check with other contacts on their email list to see if they had received the same message. If it were your email that was hacked, the messages would be signed by you.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
It's likely that someone else was probably hacked, that has you in their contact list. They harvest the contents of contact lists saved in the email program, and then send out fake emails "from" various people "to" other trusted people. The goal is that you will think it is legit and click the link within, which probably runs a program that harvests your info and sends it out for them to do the same again. (or worse)

Mike

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
One phished email. I should be so lucky. I get many hundreds a day.

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Thanks for the responses..:thumbsup:

Ad Banner for SmallCorp