paper for edge supports


CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Oct 20, 2003
Northeast US
What kind of paper should I use for making edge supports? I know is that is should be thin, strong and alpha cellulose or rag.
Can someone recommend a particular paper from a particular source?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry I'm not sure I know what you mean by edge supports, maybe you could clarify. The only thing that comes to mind are folded strips of paper to hold a work of art on paper in place on a backing. The PPFA Guidlines for framing works of art on paper is a good thing to have. It covers a number of ways to do this useing a number of different materials. Just be sure you know them to be nuetral ph. Japanese tissues like Mulberry, or a polyester film usually reinforced with a nuetral tape. One ply rag board is a good one if you need something heavier. All should be available through your framing supplier or any art supply store. Hope thats what you were asking about. Terry
I love edgemounting! I've edgemounted with 1 ply rag and had good results. In Hugh's supplement in last month's PFM, he says to use Japanese paper or lightweight spun polyester.
Thanks for your replies.
Terry, that’s exactly what I mean: “folded strips of paper to hold a work of art on paper in place on a backing.” I’ve found 1 ply mat board to be too thick to use without a sink. I have some mulberry paper from a local art supply store, but they only had it in one thickness, and I wonder if it’s too thin. As far as I can tell, Larson and UMS don’t offer full sheets of paper other than mat board or craft paper. I looked into ordering from, but shipping from the West Coast was about $12.00 for a $5.00 sample book.

Any other ideas?
With the Mulberry you reinforce it by applying tape over the top, probably linen. With one ply if it seems too thick rather than sinking it you could just add some 2ply arond the outer edge to even it out. Any art supply store should have a selection of others. If you came into ours it would prbably make your head spin. Or maybe even an office supply. Just look for 100% cotton rag. Maybe a pastel paper would be to your likeing. Terry
Jim Miller must be busy today, or he would surely be telling you that you can use Mylar clear film.

I believe him, but I use 1-ply rag.
There are interleafing tissues available at
preservation suppliers that are ideal for this
use: University Products (800-628-1912), Light Impressions (800-828-6216), Gaylord (800-448-
6160). All of them have thin, strong tissues
that can be used in a single layer for light
materials and doubled for heavier weight items.

Originally posted by Ron Eggers:
Jim Miller must be busy today, or he would surely be telling you that you can use Mylar clear film. I believe him, but I use 1-ply rag.
Hi, Ron. What? Me? Busy? Nah...

Clear film works nicely for edge mounting, especially if you have a big, heavy thing to mount. But thin Japanese paper might be my first choice in most cases.

Clear film and 1-ply (rag) alphacellulose share the same problem: Both are thick, with clean-cut edges. The thickness & cut edges can deboss the art paper if the frame package gets tight from expansion (swelling) during high humidity. So, it's important to avoid fitting the frame tightly.

The lightest Japanese paper would probably be OK for mounting typical paper artworks. And I suggest wet-tearing, to make smooth, tapered edges that can't deboss the art paper.

When edge-mounting, strength usually isn't an issue. Some say the paper should have enough cut/shred resistance to retain the art in event of frame-perimeter impact. Or not -- others say it is better to design in a limiting factor, such as edge mounts that fail, rather than making the art paper buckle under stress. Likewise when hinging, light paper hinges break-away on impact, instead of ripping the art paper.