Paper Doll Mounting

Leslie S.

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I just had a client bring in a whole box of old paper dolls and their clothes...Rita Hayworth, Betty Grable, Gene Tierny, Margaret O'Brien....(I get to play dolls today! :D ) They are in good shape, but obviously fairly old. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best mounting technique for these? I think maybe clearfilm strips, but will the edges cut into the old paper? Also, there are waaaay too many to frame them all, so what is the prefered storage method for the remainder? Yikes! The season is now officially upon us!!!

I once did a job with paper dolls. We used 3 layers of plex with spacers in between and dolls on different levels. Turned out really cool.

Strips of polyethylene would certainly work and
they should not cut into the cardboard that
comprises the dolls. The dolls at many levels
sounds interesting, but it would be wise to use
a UV filtering glazing to protect the poor paper
used to make these items.

Hugh

Hindged to small pieces of rag that were attached to the plex. I think we used N/W tape.

We did a whole set of these a few years back. I think there were about 10-14 total and we framed them all in a horizontal row. The frame size was something like 12" x 62" and was it ever fabulous.

We hinged each to a 4 ply rag backer cut a titch smaller than each doll with wheat paste and hinges. Then we glued the rag to fc and glued that to a linen mounting board. They looked pretty kicky mounted like that. We used that suh-weet scalloped fillet from LaMarche before they 86'd it.

This customer hung the finished piece over her king size bed and says it gets many compliments.

FWIW,

edie the toysrus? goddess

How many people come into her bedroom that she could be getting that many comments?

You can find appropriate storage materials at most archival suppliers.

http://www.city-gallery.com/photogen/handbook/archival_suppliers.html

General things to look for are acid-free boxes and tissue paper. Possibly plastic sleeves and envelopes.

Now I know, as you all do, that "acid-free" is not a technical term in the framing world, but in the archival storage supply world it is the conventional term so bear with me here.

Steer your client in the right direction and they can choose the storage system that suits their specific needs.

Rebecca

Back