• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

painted mat boards

manny costa

Grumbler in Training
i'm hoping to try something different for an upcoming project and paint a mat board backing with either traditional or artist grade gesso.

the reason for this is because i've submersed into water gilding and simply love the soft matte texture of sanded gesso.

the art work will be presented in a shadow box frame with only 2.5'' of white space around the art peice. so i will be only painting along the edges

i think the proper term is called a "tip n mat"?

my main concern however is if the matting will waver or curl once it's wetted

has anyone done this and any tips would be appreciated! i also hope to create a sample test on off cuts.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I have painted matboards for years using acrylic craft paint. As long as the water content isn't too high, you should not have any problems.

And please accept my belated welcome to the G!

Framar

WOW Framer
Sounds like a cool project.

Any time I experience warping with painted matboard, I have found that a coat or two of the same paint on the back of the board will equalize the pressure and the board will flatten back out.

nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
This sounds very interesting, I've never heard of the technique.
Please share your tests and final product with the rest of us.

Donmar Creations

Keith L Hewitt

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
For most of the last century all mat boards were painted in Denmark. Some still do it today. They stock just one mat, a white one. They have a large tub of some "white stuff" - (sorry never asked what it was,) and lots of very small and strong dyes ( or pigments) and mixed what ever colour they needed. They usually did the painting at the end of the day, and left the mats all over the workshop to dry during the night.

Do we have any members from Denmark who can give us an update please?

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
When I first started framing, some framers in West Virginia were still using an airbrush setup to paint white matboards. Without a distributor close by, even the colored matboards available were pretty much out of reach since shipping was an issue.

Now I sometimes print surface papers that I bond to white rag board. Not much different really. The Epson print head is pretty similar to an airbrush. I only do this for colors that are not available, and there aren't many of those these days.

I would really like to learn about this method in Denmark.

Framar

WOW Framer
I have seen painted mats from a hundred or more years ago. Metallic gold and dark green seemed to be very popular. And, if they were very lucky - the gold mats would turn green!

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
The chemistry of the colorant matters, too. I've created many calligraphic works on alpha cellulose (Conservation, PPFA Class II) and cotton (Museum, PPFA Class I) matboards, sometimes with added background colors. Mind you, my applications are not generally over the whole board surface, but only parts of it. However, if an overall-painted surface were to have uneven coverage - more or less coating - the results would likely be similar.

If the paint/writing fluid is water-based, such as watercolor or traditional gouache, then it could re-hydrate if the interior of the frame were to experience moisture, such as dew point condensation. If that happens, the matboard will probably become wavy or cockled, and it may or may not flatten again when it dries out.

If the paint/writing fluid is acrylic, such as acrylic gouache/airbrush color, it dries as a thin layer of plastic, which would not re-hydrate or respond to moisture.

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Gesso coated mat boards is a thing. I have seen recent (in the last 10-20 years) efforts by Baer Charlton, and Maria Nucci (she has since retired). I would imagine that Linda Wassel and some of the other practitioners of French matting are familiar with it.
It is used as a base for bole and leafing on the bevel of mats, and I have worked on a frame with a leafed mat on a John LaFarge watercolor. It can also be painted (gouache) and incised, and with certain sizing creates a natural crackle.
As Mar mentioned, treating both the front and back of the mat, at least with the initial primer layers, is essential for the mat's stability.
When finished, the glazing should be shimmed so it doesn't contact the surface.

Last edited:

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
So the gesso acts as a bole and not a base for paint?

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Gesso acts as a base for either bole or paint. Only use bole when leafing. Maybe not only, I guess you could paint on bole if you wanted to.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
I've created many calligraphic works on alpha cellulose (Conservation, PPFA Class II) and cotton (Museum, PPFA Class I) matboards,
Time out! It's all alpha cellulose, right? Not alpha cellulose and cotton, which is how it reads without the brackets.

New topic brewing in my head.

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Time out! It's all alpha cellulose, right? Not alpha cellulose and cotton, which is how it reads without the brackets.

New topic brewing in my head.
Conservation boards are made of alpha cellulose, which is highly-purified wood pulp. Museum boards are made of 100% cotton, which is not the same. I have used Conservation boards and I have used Museum boards in my calligraphic work.

Not sure of your point, Robo, but looking forward to the new topic brewing in your head.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Conservation boards are made of alpha cellulose, which is highly-purified wood pulp. Museum boards are made of 100% cotton, which is not the same. I have used Conservation boards and I have used Museum boards in my calligraphic work.

Not sure of your point, Robo, but looking forward to the new topic brewing in your head.

Is this still true " Alpha cellulose from cotton and virgin alpha cellulose from wood pulp are both considered suitable for retail preservation framing" ? Otherwise the topic in my head might be a bit silly :-(

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
John, my understanding is that pure cotton fiber used to make 100% rag board (Museum Board) and pure alpha-cellulose mats (Conservation Board) are chemically the same, though they are not physically the same. The individual fiber in cotton is longer than the fiber in processed alpha-cellulose. So there is a difference.
I have used both in French Matting and unless the alpha-cellulose board is sized it will not accept pin lines and washes as well as rag board. So the physical distinction does have some real world effects.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
John, my understanding is that pure cotton fiber used to make 100% rag board (Museum Board) and pure alpha-cellulose mats (Conservation Board) are chemically the same, though they are not physically the same. The individual fiber in cotton is longer than the fiber in processed alpha-cellulose. So there is a difference.
I have used both in French Matting and unless the alpha-cellulose board is sized it will not accept pin lines and washes as well as rag board. So the physical distinction does have some real world effects.
I understand that but my point is that there is cotton alpha cellulose and woodpulp alpha cellulose???

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Is this still true " Alpha cellulose from cotton and virgin alpha cellulose from wood pulp are both considered suitable for retail preservation framing" ?
Yes, that is still true. Both of those fiber types are suitable for retail preservation framing, but they are not the same. A few differences:

1. Cotton fiber requires less processing, so the fibers are longer than the highly-processed alpha cellulose fibers from wood pulp.

2. All-cotton matboards, due to the longer fibers, generally cut differently and feel softer and more cloth-like than the harder-surfaced, denser alpha cellulose boards.

3. At the molecular level, cotton fibers are somewhat more resistant to the acid-conversion process. It will still happen over time, but more slowly than in alpha cellulose from purified pulp.

Here's a link to The Deterioration and Preservation of Paper: Some Essential Facts, which provides more detailed information.

If you would like some scientific information, here's a link to the article on "Acid Deterioration" published by Conservation Resources, which provides an excellent explanation - if it doesn't put you to sleep. 😌

Last edited:

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
I just want to make sure the term "Cotton alpha cellulose" or "alpha cellulose from cotton" is OK . Sorry for the frankenthread.

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Sorry for the confusion of terms, Robo.

Alpha cellulose is defined as the highest-quality cellulose, regardless of the fibers' origin. Technically, the fibers could come from cotton, hemp, linen, wood pulp, or other sources; each requiring different processing.

As a practical matter, in conversations about matboards, I generally refer to "alpha cellulose" as the fiber in boards made of purified pulp, and refer to "cotton" as the fiber in boards made of 100% cotton fiber.

In hopes of making terminology clearer, the PPFA Comparative Standards for Matboard published in 2013 define Class I matboards as 100% cotton, similar to FATG's "Museum" grade, and Class II matboards as virgin alpha cellulose from purified wood pulp, similar to FATG's "Conservation" grade.

Last edited:

prospero

If you wet matboard it will absorb moisture and curl. To do this successfully you would have to stick the
board to a stout substrate (MDF?). Weigh it down as the adhesive curses.

Or you could just use thick MDF and impart a nice texture to the gesso. 😉

manny costa

Grumbler in Training
Gesso coated mat boards is a thing. I have seen recent (in the last 10-20 years) efforts by Baer Charlton, and Maria Nucci (she has since retired). I would imagine that Linda Wassel and some of the other practitioners of French matting are familiar with
It is used as a base for bole and leafing on the bevel of mats, and I have worked on a frame with a leafed mat on a John LaFarge watercolor. It can also be painted (gouache) and incised, and with certain sizing creates a natural crackle.
As Mar mentioned, treating both the front and back of the mat, at least with the initial primer layers, is essential for the mat's stability.
When finished, the glazing should be shimmed so it doesn't contact the surface.
i would love to see a side by side comparison of both tradition gesso which is made with gelatin aka: RSG vs acrylic base artist grade gesso we now see in art stores.
i've never gone down to road of crackling but i believe this is done by creating traditional gesso with hide glue rather than RSG.

prospero

Synthetic gesso is vastly different to the trad stuff. It does have certain properties though that would
make it preferable for a base for painted matboard. If you want a textured surface the go for synthetic.
It is hard as nails and very durable. As it happens I found a old moulding chevron yesterday which was
one of my first attempts to hand-finish. Acrylic gesso base with a thin wash of color. Despite being 25 years
old and residing in an unheated shed for much of that time, it looked good as new. Trad gesso is the only
way to go for gilding but why bother with all the bunny-glue soaking and careful heating when you can
just take the lid off and give it a stir. 🙂