Oval Mat Cutters

imb123

Grumbler
:confused: I'm doing research as to what kind of used oval mat cutter to buy. I know I want the larger one that cuts 26 x 38" ovals/circles, cuts glass, does v-grooves and has a stand. After that, I'm not sure what else I should be looking for. Any helpful hints? Supposedly these are easy to find, but I'm having trouble finding one...

I had two C & H Oval cutters on our used equipment list for two years and had no takers. I even offered in a Grumble Thread the one we own free to anyone willing to pay the crating and shipping and still no takers. It finally went into the dumpster. Used C & H Oval cutters are best used as boat anchors. The used market value is close to zero on the C & H unless an unsuspecting buyer happens by.

The Fletcher 1000/1100 is a different matter. They are the prime reason that the value of the C & H fell so dramatically. They are a far superior and better cutting machine. There are lots on the market especially since many customers who purchased CMC Mat cutters also owned a F1000/1100 oval cutter. It will not cut the large size you want. My suggestion would be find a good used Fletcher oval cutter and find a shop with a CMC in your market to cut your oversize ovals. You will save yourself a lot of headaches.

Alan

Don't overlook the OvalArt mat cutter! This is the one Gene Green sold at the shows for so many years. He had lotsa very happy customers. Most of them owned an OvalMaster previoously. Including a one armed framer who did a multi-opening oval mat - 40 holes or more I think. They are being sold now by Bob mayfield at Cornerstone Frame Products. 888-677-6955. Although it looks like a toy and sells for hundreds if not thousands less than some of the other cutters available - it does a perfect job!

Greg it's been a long time since I used a OvalArt. So would you be so kind as to remind me how and if they cut GLASS.
I currently rely jeavily on my CMC which at present still doesn't cut glass either.
This is the reason I hang on to my C&H Oval cutter .If for nothing else to cut cirlular and oval Glass.This is a definet thing to consider when buying a cutter.
BUDDY

Originally posted by Greg Fremstad:
Don't overlook the OvalArt mat cutter! This is the one Gene Green sold at the shows for so many years.
Yeah, I have the "Gene Green Oval Machine". I love it. It will cut glass, but I think it's a lot of trouble to do it. I usually just freehand glass.

Betty

Mitch hit it! Adhere the X-Block to the center of the glass with double stick tape, insert the glass cutting wheel thingy and have at it. I think there is a video available - Ask Bob Mayfield.

Yeah, I know how to make it work, I just don't like changing out the head when I seldom cut oval glass.

But back to the original post, I think the largest it will cut is 28x32.

Betty

Back