Outgasing

Steph

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I'm curious whether framing items from nature outgas. For example dried/ pressed flowers pine cones, etc. Is it harmful to include these items in the same package as artwork. Not touching it, but maybe in a seperate window. Just one of those thing that wanders through my mind.

Thanks

Steph,

I would be more concerned about natural items drying out and becoming so brittle that they disintegrated in the frame package. Probably not all items but quite a few things found in nature aren't supposed to last very long by design. Leaves, cones, flowers, etc. must be treated and carefully handled to condition for any length of time.

Feathers are also an item that is very temporary, contrary to some people's belief. Little critters and such will find their way into the frame package and devour your feathers in a short period of time (a few years rather than a century).

You may be inadvertedly carrying in damaging things with your nature items and not know it. Mold spores, little critters, moisture, etc., may all be accidently placed in the frame package along with the nature items and you won't realize it until it is too late.

Just a few points to ponder today.

Framerguy

Hey thanks for the response, much appreciated.

Some natural materials that emit potentially harmful gases are: rubber, wool, and to miniscule extent, silk. All give off sulfur and this is especially harmful to silver. Woody materials can
emit peroxides and some acids, which would mean
that they can stain paper. The concerns that Framerguy raises, about intorduction of pests and
potential embrittlement ane more valid than gas
emissions is.

Back