• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Order Adhesives Before It Freezes

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Just a friendly reminder to order these before it freezes:

Tapes, Glues, Spacers, Mounting Corners, Plastic Edge Strips, etc....

Last winter, some plastic spacers came in with the release film hanging off in several areas on each stick. When they warmed up, the adhesive 'fit' again, but better still if it never happens. And we don't order sprays, but I suppose those would best be ordered in, too.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Most glues/adhesives
don't do well in freezing weather, or in hot for that matter. Order in spring and fall so they don't have their shelf life shortened.
Thanks for the reminder, Shayla.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Order before you set your clocks back. :thumbsup:

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Ordering today - thanks for the reminder :thumbsup:

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Rick Hennen

Grumbler
Featured Vendor

Last winter, some plastic spacers came in with the release film hanging off in several areas on each stick. When they warmed up, the adhesive 'fit' again, but better still if it never happens. And we don't order sprays, but I suppose those would best be ordered in, too.
Just a side note: Ordering water based adhesives early - PVA etc is a double edged sword. Yes - they freeze when shipped in the winter - especially if they are left overnight in one of the shipping distribution and routing centers but if they sit unused for an extended period of time, they can begin to grow mold. It can also turn rancid and develop a moldy smell. If ordering real early be sure to store it in a cool dark place. Most adhesive manufacturers add an ingredient to prevent mold but we have seen instances where it still turns bad. The shelf life of a PVA is about 6 months but there is not telling when it was manufactured and how long it at at the manufacturers or distributors.

FM Framer

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2

"before it freezes" That means I have a few more months unfortunately. I do miss the land of four seasons of my youth, but I don't miss relocating snow.

Rick Hennen

Grumbler
Featured Vendor
In addition to where the shipment originates, you need to be aware of how it is routed by the carrier. We can ship from So. California but it may get routed through Reno or maybe somewhere down south and if the adhesive sits in a routing center or a truck at one of those centers that has cold temperatures overnight it could freeze.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades