• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Opinion on moulding quality please

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

nzsky

Grumbler in Training
20201005_130936.jpg
Hi everyone, 20201005_130804.jpg 20201005_131140.jpg
I ordered several frame moulding samples from my usual supplier but although the finish / quality was ok they just looked rather 'cheap'. So I made some of my own from scratch (dyed and oiled hardwood) and they turned out great although it was quite a learning curve and very time consuming. To speed things up I resorted to purchasing 30m finished moulding from a local manufacturer I had not used before based on a sample they provided which is the short piece pictured. They claim to make 'superior' mouldings. The brushing and paint finish is consistent over the sample. The moulding is painted pinus radiata (soft soft-wood), doesn't appear to be primed, and was a similar price to other basic mouldings this size. The moulding received had very inconsistent brushing including gouged edges and the paint finish had runs and over-spray completely filling the brushed texture in spots and they are claiming it is of acceptable quality and stated "As a quick explanation, this product is put through a process that roughs up the natural timber grain. As some grain is hard and other softer the finish will vary along any length of product. This is the nature of this product. Obviously, this would not show in a short sample". I returned the moulding as unacceptable, lest of all for ltd edition fine art prints. There is now a bit of a dispute as to how much of a refund I should get. Would you use this for your work and would you describe it as acceptable quality based on the attached pictures? Thanks

JB Garrett

True Grumbler
Maybe this isn't a question of poor craftsmanship... some moulding are purposely made to look like this. Hard to know the intent of the final product without knowing what the sample looks like or where it is coming from, so I don't feel like I can answer the question without knowing a bit more information.

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Personally I don't think it looks very good. I can see why you're unhappy based on the sample. It's likely a problem of expectations, though. They should have given you a sample that showed the inconsistency. There is a place for the shabby-chic look. It just isn't for your particular application.

James

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Nasty!! I would never accept or use that moulding and would request a full refund.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
The sample looks like something I could use as a rustic. The lengths look amateurish and homemade.

Pass.

Don’t worry about refunds; worry about doing business with them.

Double pass.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
they are claiming it is of acceptable quality and stated "As a quick explanation, this product is put through a process that roughs up the natural timber grain. As some grain is hard and other softer the finish will vary along any length of product. This is the nature of this product.

If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale that you might be interested in.

JB Garrett

True Grumbler
Guess I didn't realize the top piece was the sample... based on that sample, what you received is quite different.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Radiata isn't the best base wood for a finish like that. The variations you see are quite natural. The difference is the cut and the hardness ratio form winter to summer growth.
That being said, I wouldn't have accepted it either. The sample, though maybe not deliberate, is deceptive. I would insist on a full refund based on that alone. Good luck.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
It is a look that some of my customers would go for, but my samples reflect that.
I have one moulding that has many variations, and I show that as well.

I personally wouldn’t have that in my own house.

Your sample is extremely different from what you actually received, so I would definitely return it and expect a full refund.

Having said that, I have come to expect these unpleasant variations from many suppliers. Only way to control the finish is do your own.

Prospero

The problem with finishes like that is while the 'texture' can look attractive it doesn't if it is not
consistent on all four rails. When knotty pine was en vogue it could look very nice if the knots fell
in a balanced order, but if there was a huge knot on one rail and the other three rails were clear it
looked a bit odd.
If you are using moulding where the natural grain pattern of the wood is part of the finish then you
have to be prepared to mix'n'match and pick'n'choose to get a pleasing effect. So the waste factor can
be considerable.

🙂

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
It's pine? That's the back of the frame, not the face, correct?

MnSue

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
One thing I learned as a rep...1st runs are generally the closest to the original samples....
after that its a roll of the dice. If you want to match moulding sticks, and you're getting bundles...request the sticks all come from the same product runs. At least they are manufactured at the same time...

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
The OP mentioned Radiata which is the clear pine you can get from HD or Lowes. From Australia.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
One thing I learned as a rep...1st runs are generally the closest to the original samples....
after that its a roll of the dice. If you want to match moulding sticks, and you're getting bundles...request the sticks all come from the same product runs. At least they are manufactured at the same time...

Good advice. We recently got in a Roma chop with one flawed leg. Called for a replacement, and when it came, it wouldn't work. The first one had a 3/16" rabbet width, from frame to lip, and the replacement was a good 1/4". Had to get the whole thing replaced, which was a waste of time and money, for our supplier. Also for us.

nzsky

Grumbler in Training
Radiata isn't the best base wood for a finish like that. The variations you see are quite natural. The difference is the cut and the hardness ratio form winter to summer growth.
That being said, I wouldn't have accepted it either. The sample, though maybe not deliberate, is deceptive. I would insist on a full refund based on that alone. Good luck.
Thanks Wally, yes it's very soft and easily damaged. I think that this was probably flat sawn and the brushing didn't affect the hard parts. Still looks ugly to me. The frames I have made from pine look way better but finished them with hard wax (see below).

nzsky

Grumbler in Training
Yes it's pine. I gave up on pine and am using oak. No the pic is of the sides. They are about 40mm deep and 25mm wide so the sides are quite prominent. The front face isn't much better.

nzsky

Grumbler in Training
Thanks good advice, I know the staff member who does the finishing had a back injury and was away for a while and I wonder if some else did these

nzsky

Grumbler in Training
The OP mentioned Radiata which is the clear pine you can get from HD or Lowes. From Australia.
Probably New Zealand grown, it's our main plantation species by far. Hardwood is really expensive here but I'm now using it anyway, looks much nicer and way harder. Here's two pine ones and an oak one I made at home.

Attachments

• 20201020_193655 2.jpg
    20201020_193655 2.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 9
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202