• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

OOSOOM?

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Do you have more samples than your wall can fit, so you keep them somewhere else. If so, how good are you at designing with them? Does having this extra trove work well, or is it 'out of sight, out of mind' (OOSOOM)? Is there anything else at your shop like this? How about your way of keeping notes? I often have to see things to remember them, but I end up with such a clutter of papers. I tried, hiding them away in a handy drawer with partitions, but since OOSOOM, I'd forget they were there. Having piles of random notes is, at the very same time, disfunctional and also, what works.

If you're someone who never has OOSOOMS and never needs a funny little pile of notes, this might make no sense. I'm married to someone who thinks in a linear fashion and makes outlines before writing or doing a project, and it's like a miracle to see. It's efficient and makes a lot of sense, and I think a business runs better with an approach like his. But for someone with a shiny, zipping hummingbird of a poet mind, it's often beyond my reach. I'm also the one who can design framing, while choosing what mat or frame goes with a piece of art is beyond him. We're rather at the ends of the organizational spectrum, but we still do well as a team. I think most framers are more of a blend. Someone who can design creatively, while also being organized. Are you this middle kind of person, or more to one side? My guess is that those of us with the hummingbird minds also have more OOSOOMS.

alacrity8

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
We've got 40ish boxes of extra samples above our finished goods area.
I check them for additional options when we cannot find something the customer likes.
They are most useful for 4" mouldings that sell once a year.
I check them maybe 4 times a year.
We used to have another 40ish boxes hidden in nooks and crannies that my assistants have "helped" me cull.
I have a plan to remake our design counter with drawers for extra moulding, and having many of the drawers be for varient colors and sizes of samples on the wall.
That plan has been on hold for about 8 years now, and needs to stay on hold at least another year, as I need to rebuild the finishing table, and finished goods due to repeat flooding.

My brain definitely "works" in an "out of sight, out of mind" manner,
For standard framing, our POS and Work Orders work well. Our prior system of pen and paper Work Orders also worked well.
For unusual projects, I take notes, and draw plans.
If it is an unusual framing project, I can store them with the art, or in the POS.
For store improvement projects, I try to keep everything together.
My assistants will try to be helpful, and put away the papers I was working on, and then I may find the partially designed thing a year later.

JWB9999999

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I learned a long time ago there's no point in having boxes "of more of the same" as your sample wall(s). You never remember them. It's a pain to go get them. If you have employees, they are not going to want to work extra to get the sale and will just ignore them. That said, I have 9 boxes, on 3 shelves, organized, of things we don't have room for on the wall. For example, we sell few floater frames, so other than the 4 I have in stock, I have zero samples on my wall. But I have 3 boxes with more styles if someone is really into floaters. I have the same with some of my rustic samples, where I have about twice as many as I normally show. We only go into those extra boxes about once every 4-6 weeks. I'd say we probably sell a moulding from one of those samples not more than 6 times a year, so their utility is certainly questionable. But sometimes it's more about convincing the customer that the choices we already have on the wall are good ones than it is about selling the ones in the boxes.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
the only samples i have on my back wall, so in my workshop, are the ones that are discontinued but i simply can't part with.

As for samples, with all the discontinueds lately, I need a lot more new ones!!!!!

Rick Granick

As for samples, with all the discontinueds lately, I need a lot more new ones!!!!!
Amen.
:kaffeetrinker-2: Rick

Unfortunately, much of what has been coming out lately has been boring or repetitive, except for the exotic, specialty stuff like those from Leia Scoton or Andy Langlois.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
My pet hate during my last few years of framing was all those flat, square mouldings which, to be brutally frank, look as if they belong in Ikea. Looks as if they are still going strong today.

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
There are/were some real gems in the discontinued mouldings. There hasn't been that much good or cool or special for a long time.
I have plenty of space on my walls for more samples. Just nothing I truly care to have on it right now.

Framar

WOW Framer
It just dawned on me that I ordered some new corner samples from Somewhere (?) about 2 weeks before lockdown. Totally forgot what they were - but I always get excited about picking new ones from the one or two real life reps I have. I think maybe it was AMPF. Gary always knows what to show me.

I wonder what happened to those samples? They probably got shut down before they shipped them out.

alacrity8

Unfortunately, much of what has been coming out lately has been boring or repetitive, except for the exotic, specialty stuff like those from Leia Scoton or Andy Langlois.

DO you have more information on these creators, and their frames?

GreyDrakkon

I have one type of frame that I stash under the counter because they take up a TON of wall space, and I generally dislike them so I don't care if they don't get used, and that's floater frames. In the RARE cases where one is called for (or more likely, asked for) I'll remember where they're at. As it is, with the LJ culling I need to go through my boxes of moulding samples I never got around to putting up and fill up some of those gaps.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Oops. Posted in wrong thread. Ignore me.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I used to have our extra wide, shadowbox and float frames on the wall, with boxes of extra, narrower samples downstairs. Then, I realized it needed to flip flop. Now, as mentioned by others, almost all our float frames are downstairs. I keep them in clear plastic totes, about 6" deep, which are easily viewed and handled. That freed a bunch of space for smaller frames, which we design with more often.

If you're thinking, 'Why not just sell more big, deep frames?', point taken. But I do keep some upstairs. Enough to show the idea, and I can easily bring up a tote with more. And since we do less than a dozen float frames a year, having them downstairs works best. We have about ten upstairs, and I can bring up the others.

I tend to collect things, so one path toward efficiency is actively curating them. And keeping samples upstairs helps those in the basement to stay in mind.

Last edited:

Nikodeumus

I have a very small shop, within another business (it's a weird set-up, but it works).
Space is at a premium, I try to use it as best I can.

My "active samples" are easily visible. These are the ones that sell most, or are newer.
q11.jpg q03.jpg

I have a cabinet with glass shelves to keep others that sell less often, but are still good to keep close by.
I can stack an entire line together in a very small space, yet still be able to see them very easily for quick retrieval.
q01.jpg q07.jpg

I have another cabinet on rollers that I store the least used samples in boxes.
Mostly very large chunky frames, large floaters, linen-lined, etc. The ones I only use maybe 1 or 2 times a year.
This is my side of the cabinet, customers don't see it. It's like a magic show when I pull out the matt corner samples from seemingly nowhere.
q09.jpg

Also, my matt sample racks are under there, and my glass samplers.
I don't have much counter space, so keeping those stored when not in use makes more sense.
I don't have random people looking at my samples without me present, so no point in keeping them on the counter.

So there you go. All my samples are in one area, within easy reach and fairly well organized. :)

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I don't use corner samples any more but still have some left from when I had a B&M presence. I closed that and went online only in 2006. I was sample space limited also so here was my solution; 1/8" 18x24 MDF panels sold at your local home center.

You can fit two rows of normal samples on one sheet. Yes, they are covered in dust. My cleaning person took the century off. Anyway before I will dust them they probably will go straight in the dumpster.

Why don't I use samples anymore? Take a look at one of my listing: https://www.etsy.com/listing/787803...ip-1-34-picture?ref=shop_home_active_17&frs=1

I make a 5x7 frame when I get a new moulding and use that to take all the pictures for the listing. And if someone orders a 5x7, they get the one I made for the picture. So far I have sold about half of the 5x7s I have made for listings.

CornerSamples1.jpg

CornerSamples2.jpg

Nikodeumus

I don't use corner samples any more but still have some left from when I had a B&M presence. I closed that and went online only in 2006. I was sample space limited also so here was my solution; 1/8" 18x24 MDF panels sold at your local home center.

You can fit two rows of normal samples on one sheet. Yes, they are covered in dust. My cleaning person took the century off. Anyway before I will dust them they probably will go straight in the dumpster.

Why don't I use samples anymore? Take a look at one of my listing: https://www.etsy.com/listing/787803...ip-1-34-picture?ref=shop_home_active_17&frs=1

I make a 5x7 frame when I get a new moulding and use that to take all the pictures for the listing. And if someone orders a 5x7, they get the one I made for the picture. So far I have sold about half of the 5x7s I have made for listings.

View attachment 35645

View attachment 35644
dust-to-dust.jpg