• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

One of my first...

Stephen Enggass

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Kind of cool. First, although unpaid, job. Putting new frame on my friends signed Jamie Wyeth. ‘The Night’. I did not do mat...

4B2F305A-A0FD-459A-8C85-5A93BC0C0018.jpeg

Stephen Enggass

Lol. This guy did a lot of work on my Boston Whaler - all new electrical and would not take any pay. I owe him. He is going to send business my way however.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Nice. Hopefully he didn't use a sharpie.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Sharpies will fade. Do a search on "Sharpies" here and you will find a wealth of info on not using them.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Back in the day, my friend's sister's friend went out with Jamie and kept his coat. That's my 'Kevin Bacon-ish' connection. lol... :)

To follow up on the Sharpie comment, if you ever need a truly permanent pen, Micron Pigma pens are good. As for this pencil, it's a good idea to make the frame just 1/16" larger than the mat and add a hidden plastic spacer. That will hold the pencil away from the glass.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
So let's begin a discussion of the frame.

I'm leaning to gold, but subdued. Fine details, and if you can find one with a wash to match the mat, all the better. Not too ornate.

What do you think?

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I'm leaning to gold, but subdued. Fine details, and if you can find one with a wash to match the mat, all the better. Not too ornate.
What do you think?
Agree, antique gold frame 1-3/4" to 2" wide would be nice but I think a 1-3/4" natural walnut would look much better. I do really like the mat but wish that it had a weighted bottom - maybe a faux weighted bottom with a 4 ply top mat of the 8 ply mat of the same color having a 1/2" reveal. It would look sharp

prospero

Very nice. 😁

I do however have a down on signatures/remarques on mats.

The Art is the Art and the Mat is the Mat. 🙄

Extending the art to the mat makes the mat part of the art. The mat is essentially to protect the art
and is sacrificial. Allows safe handling without touching the art.
So ideally you should have another mat on top of the whole lot. If the mat gets damaged you can
replace it an no harm done, but if it's an integral part you are stuck.

Jus' Saying. 😕

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Stephen Enggass

I do really like the mat but wish that it had a weighted bottom - maybe a faux weighted bottom with a 4 ply top mat of the 8 ply mat of the same color having a 1/2" reveal. It would look sharp
I was thinking the same thing - if I do add a mat, I can only come in about 1/2" from edge to avoid cutting off signature on right hand side.

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I don’t think the added mat would make it look great, plus finding the exact color might be tricky

I don’t like signed mats either.
Usually I would suggest to the customer to take the mat off, cut out the signature and create an envelope on the dustcover to keep it safe and with the art.
Choice is theirs of course but I always offer it as an option

Pat Murphey

Don't knock the signature on the mat. It is a dedication and important in its own right. Munn Frameworks L16112P 1000M (1 1/2" Louis XVI Antique Gold) would be perfect.

tn_l16112p_1500[1].jpg

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I was thinking the same thing - if I do add a mat, I can only come in about 1/2" from edge to avoid cutting off signature on right hand side.
I understand, I didn't really think of the signatures. I believe the signatures looks good on the mat, I sure wouldn't cover them. That antique gold frame that Pat Murphey suggest would look great but I still believe the dark walnut frame would fit the picture better.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Walnut or aged platinum would look good. (Or natural walnut with an antiqued leaf lip edge). Simple is good on this, and since it's unpaid, that's just as well for you. I agree about the signature looking tacky, but I'm pretty sure that both Mr. Wyeth and your friend would disagree. lol... And adding an outer mat would only emphasize the writing and further minimize the image, so best to keep it as is.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Stephen Enggass

Story is... that it was a framed print. Not an original. My friend manages the boatyard here in Maine that the Wyeth's use. He asked Mr. Wyeth if he would sign it for a friend - so they proceeded to open the frame from behind and remove the print/mat and sign it. That's why it s signed on the mat.
Input here has been great - still not sure what direction I'll take. I will post image when complete.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com