Old Kulick style aluminum frame

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
Anyone have any suggestions for how to spiff up one of these? It lived with a smoker for a long time - got that gunk off, but the sides seem kind of dull and streaky and the face is slightly scratched.

Next I am going to try Cameo aluminum and stainless cleaner - which may help with the sides. But I would really love to be able to shine up the face. I have a series of abrasive pads, all the way up to 12000 grit, which works great on plexiglas, stone, and wood - but I am afraid the process might scratch the aluminum.

The customer had the piece that came in this frame worked on by a professional conservator and she did a great job on it. I love these old frames but I don't want it to look too awful.

And if anyone has a magic bullet for aluminum - I will spiff up the actual Kulick frame in my hoard.

Try rubbing aluminum foil on it. Might or might not, only you will be able to tell us what happens when you do.:nuts:

Looking forward to your next post!! :beer: :beer:

Make a paste of baking soda/lemon juice?

Look for products in automotive/aviation detailing supplies. Beyond abrasive sheets, you are going to need to have jewelers polishes and dedicated buffing wheels to get that mirror finish.

Here's a kit that popped up when I Googled "polishing aluminum".

You may also need some heavy duty solvents to get rid of the patina.

Larry, Kulick pioneered the welded aluminum (and other metals) frame. They were basically an "L" shaped piece of aluminum, cut and welded into a frame and attached with screws through the side into a stretcher or strainer. Think Nielsen 11 series silver face with a flat side about 3/4" deep. No channel in the back.
Here's a link to A Street Frames Catalog. The welded aluminum frames start on page 61 (quicker to jump to back and page backwards.

I think Bob Nielsen was working with or associated with Kulick at the time and the notion for the sectional metal frame sprung from this. If I have my history right, Kulick developed the welded aluminum frame for some paintings by Paul Klee that were going to be exhibited at MOMA in the 50's.

JMO, but those Kulicke "contract" frames are crap.

I was too busy today at the shop to do anything with the frame.

Stay tuned - next week.

I do have several buffing compounds and a buffing wheel - but I may not go that far though. At least not for this particular customer who was "fine with it the way it is."

JMO, but those Kulicke "contract" frames are crap.
JMO doesn't mean a thing. This is a Customer we are talking about. And we all know, the Customer is Always Right.

IOW, "You want X? OK, it's $100. You want Y? It's $500. You want Z? Oh, yeah, that's $10,000."

I won't bore you with photos, but the sides of the frame shined up considerably with the Cameo cleaner, and I did not bother with the face. Frame really looks great now!

But someday I will play around with really polishing aluminum.

I use 1 part ammonia cleaner to 10 parts water- will cut through all kinds of gunk. Be sure to rinse it off with clear water.

I use Small Corp frames when I want modern Kulicke-style frames.

When I have a vintage Kulicke-style frame (as I often do), I spiff them up with a Scotchbrite pad and furniture wax (like Briwax or Johnson's) for lubrication. It cleans, polishes, brightens, and removes all but the most significant scratches.

For anyone interested there is an exhibit opening on October 16th at the Minneapolis Institute of Art of Mauricio Lasansky that has 30 Kulicke frames that were made for his Nazi Drawings.

I dug mine out today.
72180FD0-6E66-4D6F-A062-63740A71D925.jpeg
2E836728-C8B5-4819-8422-6A92C78E3B76.jpeg
5AC64776-0641-4CB5-BB1B-D95DA53D8FC0.jpeg

Those welded corners do it for me. 😎

Had a customer with a Warhol , framed in a silver, welded corner, aluminum frame.

He want all new so it would fit in with Decor.

I convinced him to keep the classic frame but stack it with another wood to give it a fresh look.

With a new mat and museum glass it turned out great and customer was pleased that I told him the original frame should stay with the art.

Back