• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Old faithful

TopCat

Grumbler in Training
Misplaced my Fletcher MultiMaster but found an old friend, neither one has ever met a wood it couldn’t pierce. Fletcher is far and above the best framing tool and equipment maker ever, with one glaring exception which will go unmentioned here. 1A56EF54-73E6-4B9D-AC43-F8A2BFEDE35B.jpeg

prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
That was the first gun I bought. 😛

Mine wasn't very friendly though as the business end of the trigger snapped off after a very short time. 😓

tedh

Searched everywhere, and concluded that there is no set of instructions to repair one. An exploded diagram, but no instructions. Got through it OK,, but a procedure would have helped.

TopCat

Grumbler in Training
That was the first gun I bought. 😛

Mine wasn't very friendly though as the business end of the trigger snapped off after a very short time. 😓
Send it to me and I’ll repair it for you no charge, just pay for the return shipping.

prospero

Send it to me and I’ll repair it for you no charge, just pay for the return shipping.
That's a very kind offer and I would gladly take you up on it, had I not chucked it out in 1985. 😆

Picture framers only resource

Rick Granick

I still use my diamond point gun sometimes. It is useful for when I need to be able to bend the points down to grip into the backing for extra rigidity. Unfortunately, those drivers were made out of pot metal, and the constant jolts of use creates weaknesses and breaks, as Prospero mentioned. I've got a few old ones that I rob for parts if needed. You used to be able to get any parts needed from United Mfrs., but I don't know if they are still available.
:cool: Rick

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I can't find it at the moment, but someone posted recently that you can reverse the magazine on the black Fletcher Framers Point Driver and it will shoot diamond points. I have an extra and am going to give it a try. It is rare, but there are times when a diamond point or two could simplify a job for me.

I haven't seen one of those old versions in quite a long time.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
I can't find it at the moment, but someone posted recently that you can reverse the magazine on the black Fletcher Framers Point Driver and it will shoot diamond points.
Glaziers points

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Cool. Thanks for setting that right! Now I can see how it will work. Still useful for what I have in mind.

Donmar Creations

prospero

I use the Fletcher Multipoints almost exclusively nowadays. They are stronger and grip more firmly than
they appear to do. They are thin, but that allows bending without springing back. They are also easy to
remove if needs be. I often fire them at 45º and bend them down on 'shoe-horn' jobs.
If I didn't use them I would revert to my old faithful Columbus triangle gun which takes 11mm Fletcher
Points. I would prefer 13mm, but they have been extinct for many years.

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
First diamond point gun was a Red Devil no.1. Prior to that I used wire brads and a tack hammer. Then the Fletcher No.2 diamond point guns which were eventually cannibalized (except one) for parts. Doing the same with my Fletcher Frame Master point drivers. I did go pneumatic, so I have to start over with the process.
The Fletcher diamond point guns were carpal tunnel injury generators and I was happy to move on to the Frame Master. The pneumatic point drivers are even easier except for that annoying air hose.

the Frame Master deflects the framing point downward as they enter the frame. The other end of the magazine does not deflect the glaziers points so they can indeed be used on glass. I did a fair amount of vintage window repair before getting into framing and the Frame Master with the glazier points would have been real handy.

Rick Granick

I love the MultiMaster points too for their unique shape and their flexibility and multiplicity of uses. You do have to be careful if you bend them up like flexi points, because they are almost like little standing razor blades until bent back down. For rigid points I mostly use the Fletcher black gun and points, but I did get a pneumatic point driver (an Inmes) for free with Omega "framers points" (no pun intended). Although it requires less hand pressure, I find the air hose adds awkwardness in my fitting setup. So I only use it when I'm going to be driving a lot of points.
:cool: Rick

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202