Off site storage

Not sure what you are storing offsite, but with my gallery space so small, we do all of the framing at a separate location where everything is stored - artwork, etc. while waiting completion.

As I said, not sure what type of storage you are thinking...

Elaine

I think JPete is wondering about online data storage - with all the talk about backing up computer data.

Unless you're using some kind of broadband internet access, I think you'd find that uploading a significant amount of data to an online storage site will take too long to be practical. I tried a free one for a while - X-Drive - and it just didn't make sense for me.

I just carry a couple of Zip-disks back and forth from home to work. I DO wonder what off-site data storage looks like for home-based framers. Seriously.

Originally posted by Ron_Eggers:
I just carry a couple of Zip-disks back and forth from home to work. I DO wonder what off-site data storage looks like for home-based framers. Seriously.
It looks just exactally like my pocketbook!

No, seriously, in my case I take things from the shop to the house, since I work in a separate building.

Betty

For speed, security, and price the best thing to do is take the media (we use a CD-RW) home.

Make sure to have several dated or number discs and rotate them. Have several empties at the shop and several "backed up" discs at home.

Unless you have DSL or T1 connections, off site storage is not practical since it takes too long to upload.

I have always been weary of not having data where I can't "hold" it in my hot little hands.

I would suggest a program like Retrospect which you can use to back up data incrementally i.e. just the stuff you've changed recently.

My whole system is on CDs and I have been backing up faithfully every week since Jan, 2002 and I have only burned eight CDs. At 30¢ a pop, that's a lot cheaper than off site!

Hi,

We're using online off-site storage, but not through a commercial company. The house and frame shop are both on inexpensive broadband connections. (I wouldn't attempt it otherwise, cd's or zip disks are much better if you use a modem!)

Our solution is non sophisticated. We're using a program called Symantec pcAnywhere at both locations. This is a program that lets you transfer files, as well as remotely control the computer's keyboard/monitor/mouse. (as if you were there) Every Saturday night, we do a quick (3-5 minute) online backup of the accounting system, pos, and document folders. We can also access the house computer from the shop or the shop computer from the house, if something needs to be looked up.

Lifesaver does a partial daily backup, but this way we get EVERYTHING backed up - including the program, our logos, etc.

There are companies/internet providers that offer this type of service, but they usually aim at bigger corporate clients with servers - and deep pockets.

If anyone has a similar setup and is interested in doing the same, drop me an email ; will be glad to help!

Mike

[ 01-28-2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: RHODY ]

Thanks Ron for clarifying. That is what I meant. Some one had suggested using that when changing computers. I was curious about it. Thanks for input.

It kind of depends on what you require. We have
stored back-up data on tapes or disks and stored them in a safety deposit box for security from vandalism, fire, theft etc. Worked just fine. Don't be overly concerned with high temperatures since most bank vaults a relatively cool even during hot summer months It is probably a good idea to store programs off-site as well. If you have a relatively large safety deposit box, it should be large enough to store what is required at a small cost.

Jack Cee

To answer the original question, we use Connected and have been very satisfied. The only thing I don't really like is that if you want them to send you a CD you have to get all the files (and all the versions) currently in the system. Additionally, they don't tell you how many CDs it will take, and they charge something like $24 for the first CD and $20 for each additional. I wish that you could make a restoration selection and have it put on a CD instead of downloaded. Since they don't I just download and then make my own CD, but I do have DSL.

A note on upload time via modem. Most providers use a form of backup that greatly reduces the amount of data that needs to be transmitted. Instead of sending the whole file, it only sends the part of the file that is different than the original. Last night my backup (it's effectively an Incremental Backup - only those files that have changed since the last backup are backed up) had 218 MB of files, but only 2.9 MB of data was transmitted. With our ADSL connection, after 4 minutes and 53 seconds it was done. Our upload speed is only at 128k, so about 3 times as fast as a decent 56k modem.

HTH

Back