Not your everyday estate sale find

wpfay

Judgmental Terrier Manager
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
This poses an ethical question.

Legally, of course the buyer is entitled to keep any benefit that comes his way but morally, if this was a massive sum I would feel obliged to share at least part of it with the sellers.

Legally, of course the buyer is entitled to keep any benefit that comes his way but morally, if this was a massive sum I would feel obliged to share at least part of it with the sellers.
Same.

greed

😜
:eek: :faintthud: :vomit: 😜

A similar instance of this happened here where I live earlier this year.
I like that the guy said if the painting does end up being valuable he will give the proceeds to charity.

we just 'inherited' 3rd hand 43 crates of what appears to be the inventory of an antique shop. We've gone through about half and found tons of mid-priced collectibles of china, pottery, etched glass with absolutely no idea of where to start on valuation. Hoping for an 'Antique Roadshow' discovery but we are photographing lots. Easy to see how a gem could slip into a lot. We have gone through over 1000 pieces and still opening boxes. Crazy stuff we're seeing. Contacted an estate sale 'expert'-we'll see where it goes. Scared to throw anything away

we just 'inherited' 3rd hand 43 crates of what appears to be the inventory of an antique shop. We've gone through about half and found tons of mid-priced collectibles of china, pottery, etched glass with absolutely no idea of where to start on valuation. Hoping for an 'Antique Roadshow' discovery but we are photographing lots. Easy to see how a gem could slip into a lot. We have gone through over 1000 pieces and still opening boxes. Crazy stuff we're seeing. Contacted an estate sale 'expert'-we'll see where it goes. Scared to throw anything away
Fun!
Can you share pics of any of your favorite items?

Bob, make sure they are AIA certified if you are looking to get appraisals. There are folks that do estate sales, then their are estate appraisers. https://www.appraisalinstitute.org/ Appraisal Institute

We have been going through the detritus of Ellen's mother's possessions, and the chance of that diamond in the rough is slim. So far the best surprise find was a real old wallet with $32.00 in it. She bought us lunch. We knew of a few pieces of jewelry and those were found, but most of the rest has been divvied up between Goodwill and Mr. Dempsy Dumpster.

here are a few pics we literally have, so far, 20 sets of dishes-many Weimar. 100 pcs of Crystal which most Sandy is keeping. Many items are priced at things like dishes at $200-300, some teacups $2 5-35. We have seen enough Pawn Stars to know those prices are nowhere what we can expect. We have boxes of pottery i didn't show and a bunch of floor/table lamps. Nowhere near unpacking

Attachments

• 20220101_182032.jpg
    20220101_182032.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211231_203235.jpg
    20211231_203235.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220101_100634.jpg
    20220101_100634.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220102_163855.jpg
    20220102_163855.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211231_112214.jpg
    20211231_112214.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220101_121653.jpg
    20220101_121653.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 13
here are a few pics we literally have, so far, 20 sets of dishes-many Weimar. 100 pcs of Crystal which most Sandy is keeping. Many items are priced at things like dishes at $200-300, some teacups $2 5-35. We have seen enough Pawn Stars to know those prices are nowhere what we can expect. We have boxes of pottery i didn't show and a bunch of floor/table lamps. Nowhere near unpacking
I like the brightly coloured set myself. They would fit with my current kitchen colour scheme. Which is a kind of "what if a rainbow exploded in the kitchen?" kind of vibe. 🌈:p
Spongebob Squarepants Rainbow GIF
i think this works the beatles GIF
art flying GIF by Nelson Diaz

We're still cataloging and checking on internet for comparables. Most have makers marks. Just found a bunch of Santa Fe Opera House serigraphs from 80's. Our house is a mess. Sandy collects antiques (the reason she keeps me) and we simply have no room.
Wally-we have no illusion of quality of experts but appreciate your link. I'll post more fun stuff as discovered. A few boxes labeled sports collectible are next. For we older ones we found tubes of those red 'brick' snap blocks I played with in 50's as a tot

The Fiestaware (bright colors that Nick likes) should have some value, there are lots of collectors of that.

The blue is really nice American Pattern Glass. I'll show it to Ellen later and see what she has to say. She collects some of that, but not in that color. The market has gone soft in the last few years. We go to the annual show here in Jacksonville, and there are fewer vendors and lower prices each year. The top collectible names still get good prices, but the secondary stuff isn't.

The simple china pattern looks to be Pfaltzgraf. It's good quality stuff, but like so many of us relics, not in high demand.

The cut glass looks real, but often you have to feel it to confirm.

We are kinda in the same boat. We have family stuff dating from the 1600's and no one in the family is interested, and the market value has pretty much evaporated. Our daughter took me aside once after her mother had been explaining in excruciating detail the history of some of the furniture she inherited and said "Let me know what I HAVE to keep".

Bob, I had those same plastic bricks. Looking at what is available from Lego now, its a wonder we didn't die of boredom. Between those, Lincoln Logs, and Erector Sets, we had a pretty rich childhood.

Thanks, Wally
many dishes are Weimar, lot of pottery is Roseville
we have glass ware in many colors-ask Ellen is she would like me to send images
Sandy is sure crystal and glassware is quality
YEP, erector sets and Lincoln logs. Also the Alamo and FT Apache with the walls that slide together? 100's of Army plastic soldier sets with US green and Japanese figures yellow
I have an 'Ozzie and Harriet' childhood ;)

The problem with a lot of the American Pattern Glass is the cost of shipping exceeds the value. She collects what is known as Vaseline or Uranium Glass. The glass runs from a pale yellow to a pea green and it fluoresces under UV light a bilious green. Here's an example of a glass lion paper weight.
IMG_0043 (2).JPGunder normal light
IMG_0042 (2).JPGunder UV light

I'm sure she would love to have a look anyway.

i have become Chief Research go-fer :p Sandy has a great job at home and spends about 4hrs a day examining and photographing while i do our etsy biz and research. If she took a week off, it wouldn't be long enough
here is an example of a piece we have
and another
we just found over 100 vinyl records
this is killing my Judge Judy time :CRAZED:

The problem with a lot of the American Pattern Glass is the cost of shipping exceeds the value. She collects what is known as Vaseline or Uranium Glass. The glass runs from a pale yellow to a pea green and it fluoresces under UV light a bilious green. Here's an example of a glass lion paper weight.
View attachment 40841under normal light
View attachment 40840under UV light

I'm sure she would love to have a look anyway.
I've never seen that. Super cool!

Let me know what vinyl records and condition
this is going to be time-consuming
did a quick pull of several
dylan empire burlesque
dylan blood on the tracks
beatles 1969 Abbey Road
beach boys love you
beach boys surfer girl
all have jackets with wear, inserts look really good, vinyl really good
reading up on Goldmine Grading seems pretty subjective
lowest price was $10 with several $40-50 and a few $100 on ebay and etsy
there are easily 200
I've never felt so unintelligent ever-I'm really overwhelmed
Is there a genre or artist you would like me to keep on my radar

I'll ask Quentin if there are any specifics he is looking for. He likes everything as pristine as possible.
I will show him the above list as a starter. He has so many records and his collection keeps growing.

Sandy found a lady that is coming out SAT to take the whole lot of vinyl. These all had noticeable wear on jackets but vinyl looked very good.
our house looks like a dorm room :p
we are going through whiskey decanters-who knew those were collectible?

Last edited:
Back