Non-yellowing newspaper spray?

Tommy P

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Nov 16, 2003
Mid North Indiana
I learn so much from the G! If I could just retain some of it!! Aaaargh!!!! I know this has been mentioned before but I can't remember what or where to get some kind of spray to protect a newspaper from turning ugly in time. Help me!!!

Thanks FB
There are several of them. I've used Wei T'o, which you can get from L-J, United and others.

For what it's worth, I don't use them any more myself. If you don't apply them properly and evenly (which seems to involve saturating the paper) you get - not surprisingly - splotchy yellowing over time. Plus, the acid-buffering process can only work for so long.

Instead, I've taken to framing good copies of the original newspaper articles, which I realize puts me at risk of doing hard time on a chain gang for copyright violations.

This involves three different aspects of the complete front page (Reagans death) for the local newspaper. A film proof, a plastic proof of some sort and an actual paper front page. I don't think they will go for a xerox of the real McCoy! I believe I will mount the actual paper page. Thus I would like to keep it from destroying itself over time. I think I know the answer but UV glass won't stop the aging process will it? I just thought I saw a spray application somewhere....not a total "immersion".
UV glass helps, but it ain't enough.

The Wei T'o IS a spray, but you have to thoroughly saturate the paper to make sure you get uniform coverage.
I don't know if encapsulation will stop the yellowing but should keep it longer. Everyone knows they yellow and proof of age should make it more valuable.
Our newspaper has a nice policy. If you have a particular item you want to save, you can call and they will sell you the metal plate from which the paper is printed. The price is nominal 5 to 10 dollars. I don't know how long they will last but they frame up really nice. I recently framed a picture of my granddaughter that was in the paper for her school play. She was thrilled. You might check with your papers to see if you can get the printing plate instead of trying to save the newsprint.
What you are talking about is DEACIDIFICATION.

If you want to find out a little or a lot about deacidification sprays and solutions drop into the Wei T'o web site. If you go to the site index you will find plenty to read.

Wei T'o are the pioneers who invented and developed the process to salvage the millions of books in libraries and archives in the world that are slowly turning to brown useless acid paper.

If you are doing this on a regular basis, you will probably find getting the tray and using the solutions is a better way to go than using the spray cans.

If you want to ask questions call them direct, rather than talking to a distributor. I suspect any order desk you talk to will have trouble spelling the word deacidification let alone know what you are talking about.
I once called a newspaper to see if they'd reprint a story for me on appropriate paper. It turns out that although they don't offer that service anymore they did at one time. Perhaps your newspaper will reprint it for you on some high quality paper?
Wei T'o is the granddaddy of them all, but I find that the cans run out of propellant before they run out of solution. I use Bookkeeper Deacidification spray in my shop. Archival Mist is also a good one to use.
I don't usually go the copy of the paper route, but there is a chance that the paper can get a velox copy of the article and you can frame that. It is photographically reproduced copy and can be handles much like any color photo print.

If you decide to attempt the deacidification spray, make sure you are in a relatively dry climate. The expanding spray coming out of the nozzle will cause the moisture in the immediate area to condense and carry the water along with the chemistry to the paper being treated. This humidity will have exactly the opposite of the desired effect on the newsprint.