Noise cancelling headphones

LeighAnn

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I'm thinking of getting my husband some noise cancelling headphones (with bluetooth) for him to use while cutting moulding... Does anyone have a specific brand/style they like and that works well when using saws?

He's using good ear protection now, but he has to also use his earbuds under the ear protection to listen to music while cutting. I thought this would work out well for him.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

Bose are considered the best by many, but they're expensive. You'll definitely want cordless (Bluetooth) for working near a saw.
Noise-cancelling works great for reducing background noise that is a constant, such as jet engines, AC units, and saws.

Excellent. I was looking at the Bose... After chopping moulding for over 20 years he's definitely earned them. :)

Ok.. my personal opinion here..

The fewer distractions around machinery, the better.

If you are listening to music, you might not hear that weird sound from the machine that tells you that something is wrong and to stop.

Those noise cancelling headphones reduce the noise levels but I can still hear how the saw sounds. With music pumped into my brain, I'd be splitting my attention.

If you have a gun shop nearby they usually have some great headphones. Many of them have switches that allow a conversation to take place while still cancelling out most of the sound. Once the switch is turned off they cancel almost all sound. The one I use has an input jack for music but I bet you would find one with bluetooth.

I'm no expert here, but I'm guessing that noise cancelling (background noise, as described by Paul above) is different that sound-damping, or protection from loud sound, as is done by safety ear protectors. Therefore, the NC phones might not provide as much protection from the high dB. I would also echo framah's concern about the distraction of immersive music through earbuds or phones when using dangerous equipment. I believe it is unlawful to drive while wearing headphones.
:cool: Rick

You actually want the ones with the music for yourself so you can't hear him complain that you sit around all day and listen to music on your headphones. :faintthud: :thumbsup:

I just got a pair of Noise Cancelling headphones (in ear) from Isotunes.
The don't cancel as much noise as I expected with the name noise cancelling.
I think that they reduce noise by 26 dB, which is about the same as the ear plugs I have been using.
I can still hear the saw just fine, but conversation is hard.
I will not use them if I am alone in the shop, and the shop is open.
If I have someone else working the front of the store, or I am alone after close, these are great.
Many brands have Bluetooth headphones that are wired together.
Bose (and probably others) have headphones that come individually.

Today I realized that "Working in a Coal Mine" by Devo is a great song to hand sand to. The tempo is good, and the shaker sound mimics the sanding.

Brian

I just treated myself to one of those high-end custom in ear monitors that pro musicians use, and they had a special that they'll include bluetooth dongle as an option to use. With them being custom moulded to fit my ear canal, they should block out a lot, rather than have loud music and noise canceling tech. I'll let you know when I get them in, if you are interested. But I'm primarily using them for when I play drums.

I just got a pair of Noise Cancelling headphones (in ear) from Isotunes.
The don't cancel as much noise as I expected with the name noise cancelling.
I think that they reduce noise by 26 dB, which is about the same as the ear plugs I have been using.
I can still hear the saw just fine, but conversation is hard.
I will not use them if I am alone in the shop, and the shop is open.
If I have someone else working the front of the store, or I am alone after close, these are great.
Many brands have Bluetooth headphones that are wired together.
Bose (and probably others) have headphones that come individually.

Today I realized that "Working in a Coal Mine" by Devo is a great song to hand sand to. The tempo is good, and the shaker sound mimics the sanding.

Brian
i just got some recently too. i really like them. they don't employ active noise cancelling tech like some products do; they're just really effective earplugs with nice Bluetooth earbuds in them. i would definitely recommend them, especially to anyone not wanting to fork over the $$$ for Bose. I have some Bose over-ear Bluetooth phones as well, but i prefer the in-ear protection when i'm in the shop.

I bought mine from Rockler.

Bose is awesome, top of the line. If you can afford them, go for it.

that being said, "in-ear" buds are better in the shop than "over the ear" 'phones - they stay put better.

These are the ones I just ordered.

Product_card_20170810121546.jpg

The "Pro" are actually pro level (require an audiologist appointment to get ear mould impressions) and have a wire to plug in. The CSX version is the "consumer" version which is the same technology, but with at home ear impressions, and comes with a bluetooth connector. I just ordered the Pro version, and told them I want the CSX bluetooth connector with it. The audiologist impressions are reasonably priced, and make it much more accurate of a seal, and deeper.

Back