Newbie with a malfunctioning Cassese CS89 underpinner

johnboy1313

Grumbler in Training
Business
Retired
Hi everyone. My name is John. I live in Rockford, Illinois USA. My wife bought a used CS89 years ago and used it with no issues for a few years until it stopped firing and was put in storage. We are now building her a workshop in our basement so she doesn’t have to go into her shop every time she wants to build a frame.
We pulled the CS89 outta storage last night and connected it to air. When I first connected it, the horizontal clamp would cycle every time the pedal was pressed but the cylinder would never fire. After messing with it for a little while I’ve discovered that if I push the emergency stop button in every time before pressing the pedal, the machine fires correctly roughly 9 out of ten times but immediately pops the emergency stop button out again. Sometimes, the pedal still only actuates the horizontal clamp. If I then mess with the red emergency button a little, eventually it will stay pushed in and the machine will cycle again.
The emergency stop button is connected to a block labeled, “Atlas Copco VGD25 A-A”. I’ve tried searching for that part but can’t find anything on it.
I’ll try to make a video of what I’m writing about and will post a link to it below.
Any tips on what to look at next?

thanks, John

Last edited:

johnboy1313

Grumbler in Training
Business
Retired
This is the block that the emergency stop button is connected to. Video posting shortly.

Attachments

• 5D40E813-978A-4255-8464-F5412932D6A0.jpeg
    5D40E813-978A-4255-8464-F5412932D6A0.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 9

Nikodeumus

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Hi everyone. My name is John. I live in Rockford, Illinois USA. My wife bought a used CS89 years ago and used it with no issues for a few years until it stopped firing and was put in storage. We are now building her a workshop in our basement so she doesn’t have to go into her shop every time she wants to build a frame.
We pulled the CS89 outta storage last night and connected it to air. When I first connected it, the horizontal clamp would cycle every time the pedal was pressed but the cylinder would never fire. After messing with it for a little while I’ve discovered that if I push the emergency stop button in every time before pressing the pedal, the machine fires correctly roughly 9 out of ten times but immediately pops the emergency stop button out again. Sometimes, the pedal still only actuates the horizontal clamp. If I then mess with the red emergency button a little, eventually it will stay pushed in and the machine will cycle again.
The emergency stop button is connected to a block labeled, “Atlas Copco VGD25 A-A”. I’ve tried searching for that part but can’t find anything on it.
I’ll try to make a video of what I’m writing about and will post a link to it below.
Any tips on what to look at next?

thanks, John
Hi Johnboy welcome to the Grumble!
Here's some links to threads with similar issues:

If the unit has been sitting unused for a long time it could simply need some lubricating.

In the video the plunger action seems much slower than my machine operates at.
Also, what PSI setting are you using? Not enough pressure may also cause slow or no action.
There are plenty of others here with much more experience than I who will be happy to help, just give it a day or two for them to see your post.

ps. props for posting a video to show the problem, it will make troubleshooting so much easier :thumbsup:

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Welcome to the Grumble.:thumbsup:
I don't have personal experience with the CS89 but we have 3- CS299s at work. I've been using them for about 10 years.

Have you or the previous owner of the machine ever put some pneumatic oil into the air inlet?
A couple drops of oil should be put into the air inlet once a week or every few weeks depending on how much the machine is used.
This lubricates the o-ring seals and the valves and allows the machines to work well for a long time.
If it hasn't been lubricated for a long time, there could be stuck valves in the valve block.

Last edited:
SmallCorp Welded Aluminum Frames, Acrylic Cases, Frames

Underpinner Spares

Grumbler in Training
Business
www.underpinner-spares.co.uk
Hi John

The previous reply from neilframer is correct about adding 3 or 4 drops of oil as it does help on old valves.

----

The 3 most common parts responsible for stopping the Cs89 firing sequence are:

Impulser - foot pedal - main valve,

The impulser is the valve block mounted underneath the shelf and sits opposite the main grey (emergency stop) valve, its purpose is to put a short blast of air to the main valve in order for the firing to occur.

You may need to disconnect a few pipes to check the air in the circuit then it is:
Foot on pedal - results in two continuous outputs one feeds the rebate clamp the other output feeds the impulser
Impulser then sends a pulse of air to main grey valve (via a 4mm pipe)
Main valve fires the piston
Limit switch (mounted on a brass plate above the piston) returns the circuit back to its start position.

Mark

Attachments

• cs89 schematic.jpg
    cs89 schematic.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

johnboy1313

Grumbler in Training
Business
Retired
Thanks for all the tips. I’ll add a few drops of oil and see if I can free things up this afternoon.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

johnboy1313

Grumbler in Training
Business
Retired
Register for the picture framer's grumble
I’ve added a few drops of oil to the distribution valve and cycled it manually to see if it would move any easier. It doesn’t seem like it’s moving any easier than it was. I then put the valve back in the machine and used the pedal to cycle the machine many times. It’s still reacting the same way when the foot pedal is pressed. I will try to see if I can narrow it down to the impulser or the distribution valve.
Thanks for the tips.

picture framing clamps by MasterClamp 2021