Grumble Alert New Registrations info

UzZx32QU

Founder of the G
Forum Donor
Founding Member
This is to put everyone on notice that I personally inspect every email address and user ID to keep spammer off the grumble. This has been going on for about 6 months. There is a chance that a legitimate person get tagged as a spammer by accident. If this has happen my apologizes. You are welcome to change your email address and ID and try again.

To keep your registrations from being bumped consider the following.

1. I look harder at gmail accounts, most spammers use this service.

If I see a asdf123@gmail.com or hjkl9876@gmail.com that registration it gone.

2. Avoid the use of numbers in your email account or user name.
This is used by robots to log on to sites automatically.

3. Many Chinese isp's are flagged to not allow registrations from their users because of spammers.

4. I must keep a few things to myself to what I look at but I do make mistakes, sorry.

This has greatly reduced online spammers.

I hope you understand the problem and not take a rejection personal.

framer
admin

As far as I can tell, you’ve done a great job, Bill.

This forum is a very pleasant place to be.

Now, if you could just eliminate some of the liberals around here … :D

Yeah, if you could just get rid of those crazy ultra conservatives around here...

Thanks for the site!!:beer:

Even when spammers do slip in I am totally impressed the way they are so swiftly dispatched from these environs!

Kudos!

And thanks for the Grumble!

Even when spammers do slip in I am totally impressed the way they are so swiftly dispatched from these environs!

Kudos!

And thanks for the Grumble!

I used to have a forum on my site but I closed it down because it was too much work keeping all the spammers out so I can appreciate the work done here.

I have a gmail email address. Dont kick me out please! I dont do spam, not even the kind you can get in a can at the grocery store!

Hey, we've got a new member HaHa968574. I guess he can join wxyz1234 and hijk6754 who also have just joined. They can have a newbie party. :icon11:

Thanks UzZx32QU for keeping us spam free. Three cheers for UzZx32QU...

Hip Hip Horray!
Hip Hip Horray!
Hip Hip Horray!

:beer:

Great forum for framers and a super-administration I think.

I also run a Mac-forum for helping starters/switchers. We added a simple question for answering by new registerers. This helps to avoid registering of bots and spam-freaks. You should consider to use a framers-own-question or so.....

I'm not a framer by myself. But I work in the market for 23 years now and by reading I can learn for possible needs/materials.

We added a simple question for answering by new registerers. This helps to avoid registering of bots and spam-freaks. You should consider to use a framers-own-question or so.....

Very clever idea Peter. We should all help Bill think up a nice question that only a framer could answer!

And it has to be a fill-in-the-blank question - no multiple choice.

It would also probably be a good idea to avoid brand names.

Hmmmmm.

Processing.......

And it would have to be a question that both new framers and old framers could answer.

What would be a question that anyone framing would know?

Name a wholesale framing supplier.

Is there anything you can't frame?

Can you make a living as a framer?

Silicone is the Framer's Best Adhesive. Discuss.

A framing question would violate these principals:

The Grumble The Original BBS for picture framers, open to all with questions and interest in the picture framing industry. Retail, Homebased, Newbies, Suppliers, just interested in learning, everyone's welcome. Lets us know what you like or problems that you are having in picture framing today. You're not alone any more, come join the fun.

A framing question would violate these principals:

The Grumble The Original BBS for picture framers, open to all with questions and interest in the picture framing industry. Retail, Homebased, Newbies, Suppliers, just interested in learning, everyone's welcome. Lets us know what you like or problems that you are having in picture framing today. You're not alone any more, come join the fun.

FOR PICTURE FRAMERS. Asking a technical question that a picture framer knows won't violate the policy and keep spammers out..

Goedemorgen Peter!!!!! Leuk om iemand van Nederland te zien!

A framer's question might be nice, on the other hand there are lots of newbies, people wanting to start a framing business and are serious about it, who might not know an answer to a specific question. Or the question would have to be so obvious that anyone could figure it out....

Geez, Paul, of course it,s a BBS for picure framers, comma, open to all, also those just interested in learning, and everone's welcome. What's the problem?

We added a simple question for answering by new registerers. This helps to avoid registering of bots and spam-freaks. You should consider to use a framers-own-question or so.....

One thing I have seen on the registration for some sites is a simple math question like:

Define PI to 246 digits or what is the square root 17545 or explain in 30 words or less the concept of imaginary numbers.

Just kidding.

Actually these registrations have a simple math problem like what is 17 + 5. Don't think the bots are quite up to these yet.

I like the idea of a math question. Or if we're just
talking about keeping out the bots, what about a
questions such as 'Are you a human being?' I
wonder if they can answer simple things like that.

As far as any sort of framing question, I agree
with what Ylva said. It could exclude people who
have come here to search for the very answer
we expect them to already know.

Spammers are human beings (well, unfortunately).

Asking "what's a standard allowance?" or "name 2 ways to hinge art" for example would keep most spammers out.

Ah, but a newbie might not know what a standard allowance was - or that it had a name even!

This is an interesting question, that is for sure - those math questions would have left me totally out in the cold with the bots.

Yes, but a newbie who's interested in framing would look it up and learn something new. Unlike a bot or a spammer.

True, that.

Of course most newbies also seem new to the world of the Interwebs and are totally unfamiliar with the "Search" concept. Heck, most seasoned Grumblers seem to ask the same dumb questions over and over (I know, I am guilty!).

For blocking bots, you all thick far too difficult. Hoi Ylya! ;)

I noticed a simple question like;

What is the most expensive part of a picture frame?

So, if the moderators are going to review every new registration for the results of a filter question, should we perhaps review all the existing members for legitimacy?

At least two of the moderators are no longer working framers and a third is a computer geek first (and I use that term with respect and affection) and a framer second. I myself am gradually forgetting everything I ever knew about framing.

I think the current process is doing a pretty good job of keeping out the riff-raff. For every spammer that sneaks through and has to be reported, there are 10 more that never get to post a single message.

I see a lot of "new members" - abcd121- hijk345- uvwx789 etc. and then I see they are gone or banned. I think the system works as is, we don't necessarily have to reinvent the wheel. :thumbsup:

At one time I enjoyed daily update to the Grumble throught email, but now for some reason I cannot. I have made several attemps and have contacted the Forum through email without success or a response. I suspect that my security system may be blocking, but, if so, I cannot find a way to allow your emails. Do you have any suggestions? What email addrress should I allow?

At one time I enjoyed daily update to the Grumble throught email, but now for some reason I cannot. I have made several attemps and have contacted the Forum through email without success or a response. I suspect that my security system may be blocking, but, if so, I cannot find a way to allow your emails. Do you have any suggestions? What email addrress should I allow?

J go to User CP then Edit Options and see what your setting are on.

Or if it's being blocked you may have accidentally marked it as junk mail and you will have to check your blocked list in your email account.

It's probably the spam filter at your ISP. The ISP you are using for email is known for having an overly aggressive spam filter that eats emails that look similar to each other. Since the forum software is commonly used by sites all over, many forums send the same emails out. As a result the auto spam filter for some companies will block them.

This is why some times people are not able to register their nicknames from common ISP's such as hotmail, aol, comcast, etc. The spamfilters eat the messages that we send out.

If you can use your frame shop's domain email address, you'll probably have much better results.

If the ISP has a spam or bulk email folder, it's possible that they went there - or have been removed entirely before getting that far.

They will come from framer@thegrumble.com

Mike

very wood website to share information!!

very wood website to share information!!:icon9:

Thanks for approving me~!

Howdy Grumblers,

Thanks for approving me into this forum~! I haven't got any e-mails from you, but I tried my login and it worked~!

I'm a TV News photographer by trade and a portrait photographer on the side. I've also been doing basement framing framing for years and am always in the hunt to learn new things. I probably have a billion questions, but I promise to use some restraint~!

Thanks again~!

Jade

Howdy Grumblers,

Thanks for approving me into this forum~! I haven't got any e-mails from you, but I tried my login and it worked~!

I'm a TV News photographer by trade and a portrait photographer on the side. I've also been doing basement framing framing for years and am always in the hunt to learn new things. I probably have a billion questions, but I promise to use some restraint~!

Thanks again~!

Jade

Jade,

Welcome to the G. You may want to start a new thread to get your message out.
Not many people go to this thread.

Ray

Hi, I am trying to post a question but don't seem to be able to figure out how to do this. My permissions say a can post new threads but dont see a + sign or option to do this anywhere! Please help, I am doing my first frame job and have a simple question and already screwed up twice cutting my moldings.

Thanks, Lucia

Welcome to the Picture Framer's Grumble!

The POST NEW THREAD button should be on the top left, once you enter the first forum "The Grumble". This is the correct area to ask general framing and technique questions. We also have sections for business and pricing issues, equipment/POS/CMC/technical issues, jokes and off topic discussion, etc. There are a bunch of different categories.

The system features a powerful search function, too, with a combined 16 years of searchable framing advice at your fingertips.

Here is s direct link to the POST NEW THREAD button, for the general framing forum.

http://www.thegrumble.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=3

The forum welcomes thousands of friendly framers, of all types. (indy, franchise, big box, home based, commercial/corporate, suppliers)

Again, welcome, and let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,
Mike Labbe
TPFG Staff Team Volunteer

As far as any sort of framing question, I agree
with what Ylva said. It could exclude people who
have come here to search for the very answer
we expect them to already know.

Great point Shayla. If you ask the question using an image of the question instead of text then they can't detect the words. You will see that many sites ask you to enter a number in a box and that is a picture of someone's house number on some street in OshKosh, Missouri. So yes you can obscure the question as an image. You can even take a math formula as a picture and ask someone to solve it. Pretty simple, but unless the spammer is human they will not penetrate that.

Tony

Just to be clear... and to introduce myself. I am not a spammer. Neilframer can vouch for me. Hi Neil, it's Bill. Hi all!

Just to be clear... and to introduce myself. I am not a spammer. Neilframer can vouch for me. Hi Neil, it's Bill. Hi all!

Hey, Bill!
I can certainly vouch for Bill (Whistler) that he's not a spammer.
I've heard him whistle in person at the shop.:D

I've seen two spammers posting malicious links this AM. I've reported them both. Two different user names that include the word "Moderators" in their names...

Back