New Platform Mounting technique

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Founding Member
Business
Miller
Here's something new... Recently I've developed a new technique in the Platform Mounting family of attachments for flat paper items in picture frames.

"Soft Platform Mounting" is similar to typical Platform Mounting, but instead of hinging the platform to its opening, trim a piece of white polyester felt to the platform size and spot-glue it to the inside of the backing board. The felt is about the same thickness as a 4-ply matboard, and its soft texture helps to support the whole surface area of the paper item in the mount.

As in typical Platform Mounting, the backing board is "booked" to the window mat/platform mat assembly, so the soft platform nests in the platform recess when the mount is closed.

but instead of hinging the platform to its opening, trim a piece of white polyester felt to the platform size and spot-glue it to the inside of the backing board.

I don't really understand - do you mean to spot glue the felt to the drop that ends up being the door to hold the art or to the backing board? If you spot it to the backing board, not the window drop, won't there be a chance the art could slip? Do you have a drawing?

I don't really understand - do you mean to spot glue the felt to the drop that ends up being the door to hold the art or to the backing board? If you spot it to the backing board, not the window drop, won't there be a chance the art could slip? Do you have a drawing?
Spot glue the felt to the "booked" backing board, so that it nests into the Platform Mat's opening.
Here's a picture. And yes, I do have a drawing - lots of them, actually, on my website.

Attachments

• Photo-Screenshot for Soft Platform.jpg
    Photo-Screenshot for Soft Platform.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Spot glue the felt to the "booked" backing board, so that it nests into the Platform Mat's opening.
Here's a picture. And yes, I do have a drawing - lots of them, actually, on my website.
Link??

Back