New Facebook design

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
No matter how much time spent on Facebook or on which device, lots of folks from all over the world are weeping and wailing and gnashing their teeth over this new design which makes it look like it was planned for four year-olds (or by four year-olds).

Some people got switched over months ago with no recourse whatsoever; others like me keep getting switched over almost daily but with the option of switching back after giving feedback. Mostly my feedback has consisted of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," and "Get rid of bots and trolls and unproven so-called facts." What I absolutely loathe about the new look is that they have plunked my profile picture right smack dab in the middle of my always carefully laid out cover photo. So far, I have been fortunate enough that they always switch me back after I give my (presumably ignored) feedback.

Anyhow - that is the bad news.

The good news (which I have ignored for many years) is that there is an extension, F. B. (Fluff Busting) Purity, which allows the "Classic Facebook" to be customized so you can see what and who you want to see and won't be bothered by other carp (like stupid games or ads or "People you might know"). I have an old friend from Buffalo who is one of those prickly know-it-alls when it comes to FB and FB Purity (well, she is an expert on darned near everything, doncha know?), and she has been an advocate of it since it was created. It is highly rated by reputable sources. Everyone loves it! (Full disclosure, I have spent a lot of time customizing my FB by myself over the years I have not yet felt the need to install FB Purity.)

Here is the link: https://www.fbpurity.com/

And now onto the second extension designed by the same guy, just in time for all those with the gnashing teeth described above - this tricks Facebook into believing your browser is old and won't support the new and annoying design so you get to keep the Classic FB.

Here is the link: https://revertsite.com/?fbclid=IwAR3b2LDy0sIuTrf9QB53TtWTjcvCWA0_x7ZJ8g9Of-nLPy_vPyH4gG3VXjQ

N.B. This ability to do anything with Facebook and these extensions depends upon which browser you are using. I use Firefox and plan on availing myself of the RevertSite as soon as Facebook switches me over for good (or bad).

Since I have been in lockdown (6 months!) I am on Facebook all the live long day (doo dah, doo dah). I am in numerous groups for cat people, miniaturists, various collectors, rock hounds, picture framers (!), artists, musicians, bands, and I probably follow a hundred individual cat's pages and rescues.

I sincerely hope one the border reopens and I am able to go back to my shop I won't be going into withdrawal.

My wife said that hers won't let her go back to the Classic. Every time she logs on she writes them a message that just like New Coke - no one wants it - bring back Classic Facebook or she is leaving for good. She doesn't think they will care. I will pass this information onto her. Thank you!

I've been trying to distance myself from it, but it's almost addictive. It has become a cesspool of misinformation, especially during an election year. It takes a lot of work to weed through the nonsense to find legitimate content, and lacks a decent search tool. They're also tracking what you do and selling your interests and habits, and feeding you targeted ads (based on other sites you visited outside of FB), which annoys me.

I use something called FACEBOOK CONTAINER in my browser, which provides SOME protection from them looking at (non facebook) things that I do. It limits them to their own tab, etc. It would be better if they were ethical and didn't harvest information from it's customers to begin with, IMO.

Something better is probably not too far away, to replace it. All of those social media sites eventually come and go. (myspace, etc)

Every so often some ad for a cute thing catches my eye and I click on it and they show this kind of ad to me endlessly for a few weeks, but so far they don't seem to be connected to other searches I do (like eBay or Wikipedia, or even Google) - but my best triumph so far is I spent over a week researching mattresses before I bought a new one, and it has been over a month now and not once has FB shown me a single ad for a mattress. (Knock on wood!)

I agree, Mike, something new will come along sooner or later, but several new platforms have come along and sunk like stones. What ever happened to G Plus (was that what it was called?). And since I am connected with hundreds of folks all over the world, how many will I lose if I try to go elsewhere? I am afraid a lot of us old folks will just be stuck on FB forever. And the young ones will go on their merry TikTok way. Heck, I don't even use Instagram. I joined Twitter in 2013 when Chris Hadfield was Commander of the ISS, but all his tweets were posted on FB, so I have never ever used Twitter.

I am very happy that the Grumble has revived. Thank you for that, Mike & crew!

The change seems to have only affected my PC and Laptop use of Facebook.
On Android, it looks the same as it has for months (unless I am forgetting being forced to switch months ago).
I hate the new look, and I hate using my phone unless necessary, so much less Facebook it is.
Thank you Facebook.

When you play Wordfeud and accept access to your mice by that app, you receive offers within minutes for all usable articles that you spoke about with others.

Peter, many people try to outwit algorithms on various platforms by deliberate misspelling of items: C0C@ C0L@, for instance. Also frequently used for names of politicians. Humans can read this, but AI can't. Seems to work (at least for now . . . )

The most sneaky data-collector is Amazon! They use trackers, but also buy a service from many games (like Wordfeud) to get data for doing offers directly. I think they developed a kind of plugin for games and use a game like a Trojan horse.

Well, I do not buy anything from Amazon (Bozo has quite enough money, IMHO - his taking advantage of poor people is bad enough, one would think he was a preacher of a mega-church) so even though I have most reluctantly begun using the evil Google, I am probably safer than most.

The first and last game I ever played online (or anywhere in the last 60 years) was called Same Game, I think - and it consisted of moving letters (or numbers maybe?) in colorful squares. Taught me mousing skills, and I got really REALLY good at it before I stopped.

Mar... You're a rock hound????????
I've been hunting and collecting rocks and fossils since i was in a rock club down in south Jersey, mid to late 60's.

We had an older guy who retired as a forest ranger who took us down to Chesapeake bay hunting for fossils along the beach. A lot of shark teeth and such.
We even pulled a Porpoise skull from the cliffs down there.
We also found dinosaur footprints in a small outcropping along the Delaware river in north Jersey.

LOL, Peter. For years I have been using buckwheat hull pillow, replacing the pillow cover and replenishing the buckwheat hulls as needed (like George Washington's axe).

A couple of months ago I was trying to beat my pillow into submission and hit something really hard. Emptied out the buckwheat hulls, expecting to find a lump of vegetation or stems or something. What I found was a rock. Granite with quartz and a bit of mica or pyrite about 2" across.

Did NOT like sleeping with a rock.

:cool:

...this tricks Facebook into believing your browser is old and won't support the new and annoying design so you get to keep the Classic FB
No trickery needed for me. My browser IS old. It still shows FB in the old format, but the downside is that after a short while it slows down drastically and gives the spinning beachball. My laptop does show FB in the newer format though.

[/QUOTE]
Well, I do not buy anything from Amazon (Bozo has quite enough money, IMHO - his taking advantage of poor people is bad enough...

I need to comment, here. First. I know nothing of "taking advantage of poor people". Second, Amazon is the best thing that has ever happened for the consumer. It wasn't Amazon that killed mom and pops, it was the big boxes, and Amazon is their downfall. I bought a new TV. The nearest retailer, Best Buy, is a 30 minute drive. I got the TV and sound bar from Amazon on my doorstep 2 days later at the same competitive price as anywhere else with free shipping. The following is a sample list of products we use and can't get anywhere else within any decent driving distance, if at all after going to store after store:

Crosse & Blackwell Mustard Pickle
Madagascar Green Peppercorns
McCafe Coffee
Hero Black Currant Jam
Our cat's favorite cat cookies in bulk
Howard's Hot Pepper Relish
Amora Dijon Mustard
Fever Tree Indian Tonic Water
etc.
etc.

That's just the food side. If you want an SD card, a wireless extender, a battery powered lawn mower, etc., etc., you can shop all available brands and prices and get next day or second day delivery. You have virtually unlimited choice in one place.

We use Amazon Prime Video for streaming and Amazon Prime Music, Bluetooth steaming from over a million tunes.

And, of course the beginning of all of it, Kindle books. I'm enjoying, with this lockdown, the plethora of books available for $10 a month on Kindle Unlimited. (I'm still on my $3.99 mo. promotion.)

I watch pricing carefully, some of the affiliates overcharge the market, but it's not hard to comparison shop if suspicious.

I don't care if they advertise to me, products that fit my searches. It doesn't do any harm and sometime I get good leads. Amazon is the most convenient and complete shopping source I have ever experienced. More power to them!

On-line shopping is the way to go and big box companies will have catch up or fall by the wayside. Next year I'm even going to buy my next car on-line, a Tesla, to replace the Audi I just sold because 2 cars are a waste in the pandemic.

A side note: You have no idea what green peppercorns can be unless you've tried these: 😁

madagascar-green-peppercorns-in-brine-1S-711.jpg

I agree, I am an avid Amazon shopper although I shop small retail as well as much as I can. One thing I’m more aware of is where a product is made, so I try to avoid the made in China if possible.

Pat, how do you use the raw green peppercorn? In which dishes, and do you just cook it with the dish? Is it like a pickled version?

I am intrigued!!!!!

Pat, how do you use the raw green peppercorn? In which dishes, and do you just cook it with the dish? Is it like a pickled version?

I am intrigued!!!!!

They are canned in brine, not pickled. They are soft, easily crushed with a pungent flavor. All other brands that I have tried are hard with and oily presence.

Peppercorn steak sauce:

Crush 2 generous tablespoons of green peppercorns in a mortar and pestle
Heat with 1/3 cup brandy in a frying pan until drying out and aromatic
Add 1 can Campbells Consommé (broth is a sorry substitute) reduce by half
Add 1/3 cup heavy cream and cook until thickened

My favorite use is the Steak Diane recipe in this book. The book is worth every dime.

Amazon product ASIN 0394735323

Amazon: here’s Amazon’s second distribution center going up in Ottawa. Right beside Costco.

A11BC00F-2F3C-4184-B999-19336946615A.jpeg

So many things that I can't get locally. Amazon fills the gap. Me Likey. Me also likey Google. So there Amazon/Google haters. :p

Me likey eBay. I can find darned near anything on there - and this is with a Mall Wart Super Store a half mile away from my house (been there twice in 15 years); never been to Costco or Michael's or Hobby Lobby or Home Despot.

I would rather pay slightly more for what I am buying than step foot inside a mall or a warehouse store.

But, as Peter just noted - let's get back to Facebook's new design.

People are now reporting the Classic and New have begun switching willy nilly every few minutes. Driving everyone even more crazy.

Candied jalapeños.

Holy Cowabunga!

Facebook just switched me over to their new hideous design with NO options left to switch back.

So I went to the RevertSite, clicked on Firefox, clicked OK, went to Facebook and the old design was back!!! IT works!

It really works!

It really really works!

:thumbsup: (Did we not used to have a spinning yellow smiley face?)

Well, Facebook axed the loophole that the Restore Site was using, so now, unless you have a Page or a Group and can revert to the Classic look for 48 hours or so, you are stuck with the idiotic new look.

AND - just now, I am getting a dumbed down version of Facebook because they say I have an UNSUPPORTED BROWSER. I am using Firefox, for crying out loud.

Anyone else run into this? I am at my wit's end.I give up. I am going to bed and maybe in the morning everything will all be better.

Unsupported Browser.JPG

From the Revert Site's page:

**UPDATE 28/10/20 21:30 (UTC)** Unfortunately Facebook have closed the new loophole Revert Site was using to get the old Facebook design back :( If you have Revert Site's "Switch back to old Facebook design" option turned on Facebook now has a permanent redirect to the mobile site at m.facebook.com. To stop this happening, and go back to the www. desktop version of the site, turn off Revert Site's "Switch back" option or disable Revert Site in your browser's extensions management page.

And now, adding insult to injury, I no longer have Messenger. FB says I have no Internet connection. Says they are moving my "conversations" to "Messenger." Um - wasn't that what I have been using for the last ten years? They give me an Install button but nothing happens when I try to click it.

Facebook, you are killing me!

Oh, and when I tried to find where my computer stores Firefox extensions, ithere was no recognition of the word Firefox.

OK, here I am talking to myself again. But I figure all this might just save a few other folks from this misery/mystery.

I have discovered that on my new laptop, which I hate and rarely use, since I have never added the Revert Site extension, FB is it's normal "new and improved" self, Messenger and all. It is only on my beloved old laptop, where I did commit the horrible sin of using the Revert Site, that everything went to heck in a handbasket.

And I tried to find and disable the extension on my Firefox browser management page. But my computer says there is no such name as Firefox in here anywhere.

:faintthud:

I had problems with signing in on FB from my tablet. I just deleted the app. Just using messenger on the tablet.
I still have FB on my laptop, but didn't bother getting it on my new phone.
I don't check in more than once a day which seems more than enough to be updated. FB pretty much lost me.

It seems FB is adamant that I should be punished and relegated to "m.facebook" instead of the regular "facebook." "m" means mobile. So I guess I am only allowed to see what people see on their phones. Which is a mere fraction of what I used to be able to see on my old account.

I was going to try to delete Firebox and reinstall it - but if I delete my only browser, then how to I install a new browser?

Thank God for Mar. She sacrifices so much for the rest of us. All of those gray computer clouds that would normally pester us, just pester her instead. 😁

It seems FB is adamant that I should be punished and relegated to "m.facebook" instead of the regular "facebook." "m" means mobile. So I guess I am only allowed to see what people see on their phones. Which is a mere fraction of what I used to be able to see on my old account.

I was going to try to delete Firebox and reinstall it - but if I delete my only browser, then how to I install a new browser?
Open Firefox and click on the three bars in the top right that opens the main menu and then look under "settings" and ensure you have checked the box to allow automatic updates. If this box is checked you should be all up to date and re-installing the browser will not change anything.

Another hack which may work is to try using a different browser like my favourite "Google Chrome" . So many sites these days are "optimised" for certain browsers, particularly Microsoft's (never to be sufficiently damned) "Edge" so maybe that would solve your problem?

Yeah, thing is my Firefox always updates automatically and is therefore currently up to date.

And my friend uses Chrome and is experiencing the exact same problems I am having, "Unsupported Browser," (Can't help but saying this in the voice of Basil Fawlty).

Facebook works fine with the browsers themselves, in their current (slower) format. The hack you had applied was trying to fool Facebook to look like a different older browser, so it would allow the old design after the deadline to change. It looks like Facebook caught on to the hack, and blocked it. It may be time to concede to their change :(

Ya know, the reason I always ask dumb questions is for all the silent people out there who also have dumb questions and never summon the courage to ask them.

The only dumb question is the dumb question unasked.

Ha, good for them, no doubt FB will find a way around it again though.

I have deleted FB from my tablet and never installed it on my phone. It now only lives on my laptop where I can safely ignore it if so wished

Well, it worked for a few minutes and then went over to the new FB platform. But at least I managed to get rid of the Mobile dumb and dumber platform.

That was a surprise, until I looked it up.

My web browser says that there are none, but an online tool says that there is one thing on the opening page when someone isn't logged in.

It said this is a good score, and that the average website has at least 7.

I dug deeper and found that what it reported was just Alphabet. Alphabet is part of Google Analytics, which is hardcoded/baked into our software. (and has been for many years)

Almost all webpages use Google Analytics for statistics, and I have no problem with that one.

Mike

Back