Need a recommendation for a little camera

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
My beloved Kodak EasyShare C195 is beginning to act strangely (after 10 years or more - who can blame it?) and I am looking for a nice little purse camera - but this time with anti-shake capabilities. Doesn't need to be a gazillion mega pixels - I never print anything larger than 8x10, and as long as I can get nice closeups of tiny flowers and kitty whiskers, I will be happy.

Someday in the future I plan on buying a nice camera to shoot bands again, in dark clubs - if there are any bands or clubs by that time. I have a Nikon D50 that a customer gave me - it has all the bells and whistles, extra lenses and stuff - but it weighs a ton and it has no onscreen viewfinder.

I need anti shake because I have developed what my doctor calls an "intention tremor" in my left hand. I can do just about anything totally fine unless I need to hold the camera really still for a handheld closeup (and I am too lazy to drag out a tripod).

Don't tell me to get a smart phone for photos - I have discovered I am totally incapable of pressing imaginary buttons in a horizontal direction. I have to press DOWN on a real shutter.

Thanks!

Here's a selection from B&H Camera. Something for every price range. You are still paying more for better lenses, but the quality has improved regardless, I like the new Leica, but the $5500.00 price tag is daunting.

I like the Coolpix P 900 -https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p900.html
DSCN0500 (1).jpeg
DSCN0500 (1).jpeg
DSCN0502.jpeg

$599.99 Lens does far away and close up. Has Wi-Fi to take the pictures directly to your Smart Phone (I don't have a cellphone). These three photographs were taken from the same location. No need to change the lens - it just has the one. You can see the raft as a speck - and then you can read where they where renting the raft from.

Amazing. Only camera to ever have in my opinion.

I have the same Nikon D50 but found I'm more of a Canon girl. I used to have a Canon Rebel, but the kids destroyed it (water and sand)
My husband got me the Nikon, and I never truly loved it as much plus it is heavy.
I bought a small Canon:

I have this one, that lives in my purse, but mine is red

Amazon product ASIN B01D0PVYH4
Love it, great pictures and excellent zoom. I'd go with Canon over Nikon any day!

I forgot about Canon. My second digital camera was a Canon, and it has a flip screen which was really nice - but it was too heavy and then the flash broke but had to be turned off manually every time I used the thing it kept trying to turn the flash on. Read that this was a common breakdown which Canon refused to own up to.

I believe this is a job for Local Camera Store Friend.

Maybe this will be my Christmas present to myself.

Thanks for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!

And Ylva, how is the Coolpix for real close-up shots? (That photo you posted is amazing, BTW)

I like the Coolpix P 900 -https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p900.html
View attachment 35664View attachment 35665View attachment 35666
DSCN3358.jpeg

$599.99 Lens does far away and close up. Has Wi-Fi to take the pictures directly to your Smart Phone (I don't have a cellphone). These three photographs were taken from the same location. No need to change the lens - it just has the one. You can see the raft as a speck - and then you can read where they where renting the raft from.

I forgot this camera is great with close-ups and has a video camera feature to record. I didn't find this camera hard to use, and my other cameras had been Canons. I do think people love the brands that they are used to - features they already understand.

View attachment 35664View attachment 35665View attachment 35666

l have used both Nikon and Canon for years and understand and am comfortable using them both. I simply prefer Canon.

Mar, what I like about my little Canon is that it has an enormous range. I don't do that many close ups so can't really comment on that. But the zoom is amazing for such a budget camera. I don't have the coolpix (that is Nikon).
I took some great photos of graduation, where my kid was just a little thingy in the distance, but with my Canon, I actually took some shots that looked like he was a few feet away.

It is just a great camera for always having with me. I have my phone, of course, but prefer a separate camera.

Do you have a budget in mind?

The Sony RX100 is widely considered the "best" small point-and-shoot camera. They are currently on their seventh version of the camera and release a new version every year or so. I own the third version and I'm still getting good results from it when I want to leave my DSLRs at home. All versions have image stabilization. The first five versions of the camera had a zoom range equivalent of 24-70mm, while the two newest versions (VI and VII) have a zoom range equivalent to 24-200mm. So if you are wanting to zoom way in, go for the VI or VII.

The newest version (VII) goes for $1200 new. Not cheap for a point-and-shoot, but as with most things, you get what you pay for. The VI is $1000 new or currently $539 used at B&H (excellent deal, I'd go for this if I was wanting to upgrade my old version III).

There is a pretty good comparison chart of the different versions on wikipedia.

Whatever you decide on, if you can work with a used camera, there are tons of all varieties on eBay.

LOL. You guys are cracking me up.

Peter, did I not mention in my initial post that I cannot take a photo with a phone? Somebody gave me an old iPhone, if I use a tripod it takes great photos, but I am simply not capable of poking at the durned thing to click the shutter. I have been PRESSING DOWN on a shutter since I was 9 years old and my great aunt gave me a Brownie Hawkeye.

Not to mention I do not own a smart phone. (The elderly iPhone will not stay charged long enough to take a photo and I have installed new batteries (yes, by myself) and my techy guy had it for a couple days trying to see what was wrong with it and we both gave up.

LOL. You guys are cracking me up.

Peter, did I not mention in my initial post that I cannot take a photo with a phone? Somebody gave me an old iPhone, if I use a tripod it takes great photos, but I am simply not capable of poking at the durned thing to click the shutter. I have been PRESSING DOWN on a shutter since I was 9 years old and my great aunt gave me a Brownie Hawkeye.

Not to mention I do not own a smart phone. (The elderly iPhone will not stay charged long enough to take a photo and I have installed new batteries (yes, by myself) and my techy guy had it for a couple days trying to see what was wrong with it and we both gave up.
So ya never discovered that the sidebutton of the iPhone is also a shutter.......

The main request is for a small purse size camera with "image stabilization". Samsung and Motorola do have phones with "image stabilization" but not Apple per my quick search.

my comment yesterday morning was for a $200 pocket sized camera.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jerome. I am looking into that little Canon on ebay. Not seeing any red ones - but they do have purple . . . :cool:

So - let's talk about batteries. Other than my big Nikon, all my little digitals have uses AA batteries. Which can be good if you need to go buy a new battery - they are available on every street corner.

But the cons of AA is that they don't last very long, and I end up with a lot of used batteries (luckily my town recycles batteries!). I tried the rechargeable ones for years but they only lasted a very short time and seemed very weak even when fully charged.

So the lithium ion battery for this little Canon is kind of appealing (especially if I could order a back-up so I would always have one charged and ready). But how long does the charge last? I have a hand vac with a li-on battery and the charge lasts for about 15 minutes - roaring at full power - then it dies completely and it takes several hours to recharge.

Mar, my cell phone lithium ion battery last 6 days. The vacuum cleaner motor has a HUGE amperage draw, versus a camera battery. You also bring up my biggest complaint with Dyson. Lithium ion batteries can be fast charged with a separate charger. My lawn mower batteries charge in little more than 1/2 hour.

I’ve been using rechargeable AA batteries in my headlamp for years, and I keep a rotating supply handy in a baggie. Because of their cheap cost over the long haul, I’d go with a camera that uses them. Try replacing a specialized lithium four years from now.......

Mar, are you looking at the Canon that I have?

My bundle came with two batteries and the charger, plus a lot of other stuff. The battery holds the charge well. I keep both batteries fully charged and always with me and I have not run into any kind of no battery moment. Easy to switch and recharge.

I have not found anything I don’t like about my little camera. Plus it is red.

I never told you that the laptop I just bought is red as well, you would like it!!!!

So the lithium ion battery for this little Canon is kind of appealing (especially if I could order a back-up so I would always have one charged and ready). But how long does the charge last? I have a hand vac with a li-on battery and the charge lasts for about 15 minutes - roaring at full power - then it dies completely and it takes several hours to recharge.

The li-on in my shop's Nikon D7200 lasts months in between charges. The extra battery packs are cheap so I would go for that also. The Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 looks like a decent small camera. Used for about $120 and new for about $190 plus there are some bundles on eBay for about $230 with all the extra stuff you need.

Yeah, that bundle is what I have been looking at. One cannot have too many little tripods, can one? It is this one:
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Digital. I even like the purple. My original Canon was PowerShot A360 - nice (except for the broken flash component) and it was almost the size of a SLR film camera - too big to carry in my purse. But I sure loved the flip screen. Oh well.

So now I will be doing some thinking and wait for ebay's next extra bucks deal.

Thank you guys for the recommendations!

So - let's talk about batteries. Other than my big Nikon, all my little digitals have uses AA batteries. Which can be good if you need to go buy a new battery - they are available on every street corner.

But the cons of AA is that they don't last very long, and I end up with a lot of used batteries (luckily my town recycles batteries!). I tried the rechargeable ones for years but they only lasted a very short time and seemed very weak even when fully charged.

I highly recommend Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. They are the industry standard for professional photographers. Their biggest selling point is that they hold a charge forever. They come pre-charged and if you leave them on the shelf for years they will still hold their charge. I've been using the same set for almost 10 years and they still work perfectly. Mostly use them for my off-camera flashes and headlamps for hiking/camping. I haven't bought a AA or AAA battery since I got them. A little bit of an investment up front but how much would you typically spend on 10 years worth of AA batteries?

Last edited:
Thank you, Miles.

I had never heard of these Eneloop batteries before. I gave up on rechargeables years ago; have gone through several types of chargers over the years. From the CCrane Quick Charger for NiCad and NiMh batteries to the solar charger to the Energizer charger. I had such high hopes for rechargeable batteries.

Might have known the field had made advances.

Thanks! (Now I have to start my camera deliberations all over again!)

Like most people, I never trusted rechargeable AA batteries until I found out about Eneloops. The Eneloop AA batteries are so good that they've outlasted two chargers!

All I have to do now is go around my house and shop and count the number and size of batteries I use. Although I suppose in things like remotes and mice the drain is so low the regular batteries last for a year or more.

But cameras and flashlights are a different story!

:faintthud:

Yes I mostly use them in camera accessories and flashlights and other devices that have high usage. Actually I do also use the rechargeable Eneloop batteries in my wireless keyboard and mouse for my iMac. I end up needing to swap them out for a fresh pair every few months or so but I spend a lot of time at my computer editing photos and video. I think my tv remote still has the same batteries that came with it!

Well. I did some research on rechargeable batteries and the ones that come in on the top of the lists are the fairly new Energizer Recharge (especially since I already had a charger for themand they were half the price of the Eneloop batteries). Will try a few of these out on the old cameras and see how they hold up.

BUT - I found a nice price on a Canon kit for Powershot SX620 with all the bells and whistles and image stabilization and it is RED!! Less than $200!

Woo hoo!

Well this is really weird. While I am waiting for the new Canon to arrive, I decided to try the new generation Energizer batteries in one of the old Kodak cameras.

With the camera on my lap, I opened it up and removed the old batteries. Then I opened the little box with the new Energizer batteries (which I had just charged up) and removed two batteries. Put the two batteries I had just taken out of the camera into the box.

Reached around to grab the new batteries to place into the camera.

They were not there. They were not anywhere. They seem to have vanished into thin air.

Gone. From one second to the next.

So I grabbed the other two new batteries out of the box and placed them into the camera.

Experiment ongoing.

But the other two batteries have absolutely disappeared. I have looked everywhere!

Rowlbazzle!

Was one of your assistant cats there helping you?

I lose stuff all the time, especially at home. Whatever it was usually shows up in the next load of laundry, so I don't get so freaked out about it any more. I know it's just the gremlins having their bit of fun.

I was rummaging around in my purse today at the shop and caught a flash of silver. Wouldn't you know it, two days later I find both batteries rolling around in the deeps of my purse.

Oh sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you!

One customer actually used some of my hand sanitizer today! (One of his daughters is an epidemiologist, so he is well trained.) And he brought in a friend and her daughter with the Vietnam era military medal shadowbox project. Yes!

My new little bright red Canon PowerShot SX620 HS arrived today! Thank you so much, Ylva, for reminding me about Canons - I am in love with it already.

Going to order an extra battery for it so I'll always have one charged and ready. Too busy at the shop to do much more than put in the memory card and the battery - but it looks fabulous! The lens - WOW!!!

Mine came with a hardshell case (too big for my needs), a 32GB card, battery and charger, lens cleaning kit, 4" tripod, a little carrier for SD cards, three sheets of a sort of grid in metrci, a little piece of cardbpoard, and a 1/2" thick booklet with "getting started" instructions in 26 languages. LOL.

I truly believe you can't go wrong with Canon.
I am in cleaning mode and found one of my older cameras. A Canon powershot in the 500 series. I had that one for such a long time (stopped working, too expensive to fix and then I received a Nikon camera from a well meaning personl. I just love Canon.

The Nikon D80 was one of the least intuitive cameras I have ever wrestled with. I realize it was one of their first generation of digitals, but it drove me absolutely crazy. Especially when I am out in my pitch dark driveway with a too-short tripod, trying to shoot the moon, and having to keep going into a pool of light by the house so I can see what the bloody thing is doing.

Having a screen instead of a viewfinder would have helped a lot.

Also using it more than one every couple of months would have also helped.

Too many cameras in my life, I guess. Never took the time to really learn at least one of them.

Although I must admit I was pretty good with my first real camera, the Yashica D twin lens reflex with 120 Tri-X. Those were the days!

Funny the Nikon D80 was actually my first DSLR. I loved that camera! Since then I've owned all Nikons - the D7000, and now the D800 the Z6. Well I also now have the Sony RX100 III and the GoPro Hero 8 for when I need something smaller. But as you know, it's the carpenter not the tool!

"Also using it more than one every couple of months would have also helped."

I think you hit the nail on the head here! But seriously, glad you are happy with your new Canon!

But as you know, it's the carpenter not the tool!
That line reminds me of a favorite story I heard somewhere:

The photographer was having a very ritzy exhibition at a posh gallery and one attendee came up to him and gushed over his work. He thanked her for her kind words and then she asked the fatal question, "What kind of camera do you use?"

A few months later he was in attendance at a fancy dinner party at her home. As he was leaving he thanked her and complimented her on the meal. And then he asked her, "What kind of stove do you use?"

Love that story as well and I have referenced it many times. The version I have in my head has the gallery attendee saying to the photographer, "Your photos are beautiful. You must have a nice camera." And then at the dinner party the photographer says, "Great dinner. You must have a nice oven."

Quick shot as I was heading out this morning. Could not resist the sunlit milkweed. Hand shaking, wind howling, cars zooming past - and yet look at this perfect shot! I am loving this little camera.

Sunlit milkweed.jpg

Back