Need a new laptop

Couture's Gallery

PFG, Picture Framing God
A friend suggested to go with Apple. My old HP is about shot. I have lots of files and photos for our old car club ( lots of Word docs too ). Can i easily transfer all theses to a new Apple from the old HP Win 7

A friend suggested to go with Apple. My old HP is about shot. I have lots of files and photos for our old car club ( lots of Word docs too ). Can i easily transfer all theses to a new Apple from the old HP Win 7
Hi, You cannot go by me I don't even carry a cellphone. However, my wife was a teacher and she loved having an Apple in the classroom, but she used Word documents for us like Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc. She went with a MacPro Laptop and had them put Microsoft Office on it so that she had the best of both worlds.

Thanks, I think you helped out with my decision.

Don't compare what you had to anything new. Check the reviews before you buy. Check youtube reviews. I just got the wide a 2.2 lb 14 inch laptop from Asus. Win10pro has been great. The new M.2 SSD is the fastest I's seen. Touchscreen.

What I'm trying to get accoss is check out other brands styles & types you might be surprised at what's out there.

Well, after looking at the 100s of laptop available I am totally confused. I'm not much of a tech person so i need easy to use and understand, price is not a problem.

Here is what my friend sent me, he is a tech type person.
If you are willing to spend a little extra money, I highly recommend your next computer to be an Apple. We have been so happy with ours and will buy nothing else in the future. Gone are the days of having to reload the operating system every time a virus strikes, and you never have to buy a virus protection software. Have a look at the Apple website.

I'm in need of advise

I was in the same spot back in June. My 2012 Lenovo laptop was showing signs of age and getting cranky, and my needs for RAM, processing speed, and storage are getting more demanding. I do a lot of Corel Draw creations, some video editing, and a little bit of photo manipulation.

Like you, I considered converting to Apple, because so many of my friends, family, and colleagues swear by them. However, I decided to stick with a Windows 10 PC and avoid the frustrating process of starting all over again with a new operating system. I wasn't concerned about transferring files, because I have multiple backups of everything on several types of storage devices.

After considerable research, I ended up buying a top-rated Dell XPS15 (9570) wih the newest Intel i9 processor, 1 TB SSHD, 32 GB RAM, touch screen, and lots of other goodies. So far, I love it. The keyboard is as comfortable as the best Logitech we have on the desktop computer upstairs. The touch screen is handy sometimes. Lightning fast. Excellent graphics and resolution. Good battery life. Don't ask the price.

The number one question to ask yourself is -- what will the computer be used for?

If it is basic word processing, spreadsheets and surfing the web including watching movies, just about and modern computer will do the job -- Windows, Chromebook, or Apple.
For people our age, screen size is important as well as the feel of the keys. Everything else is hype or overkill.

The real question is what do you need a laptop for. For travelling a very basic laptop for occasional use and communication might be OK, if your phone or tablet doesn't serve. I hate laptops with their screens, performance battery issues, touch pads and sorry keyboards. For home use you can get a super Win10 all-in-one for around $700 with an easy to read 24" screen, wireless mouse and keyboard that sits on your desk with almost no wires and no bulky box. Mine is a little bit more expensive with a 4k screen and Bang and Olufsen sound.

Another view IMHO

The real question is what do you need a laptop for. For travelling a very basic laptop for occasional use and communication might be OK...
Well, I travel sometimes and want to be able to edit videos and photos and make drawing on the road. It's a good way to spend those empty evenings alone in a hotel room. Everyone's needs and wants are unique, I guess.

I use it for online money management. Have properties in Ga, Fl, N.C. & Louisiana to keep track of, plus banking accounts in 3 states. Have to keep up with this and car club publications as I travel, sometimes I'm in Fl or La. for a month or more at a time and take laptop with me to keep up with all of this.
I use it for car club newsletters, weekly reminders ( 121 members ) photos of all local car events (lots of photos), car club web site updates and photos, news releases to 4 newspapers & 12 radio stations, 1 TV station. I use WORD a lot. Keep all data om members in WORD. Mostly I skate by on what little I know and I'd probably be dangerous if I knew what I was doing.

None of those activities require heavy computing power. Lots of photos does take a lot of storage. I backup my photos via year folders and activity sub-folders.

Love my dell xps13 w/Windows 10

Our household is split in the middle on apples vs pc
My husband buys anything Apple.
I do love my iPad and have no use for a laptop really at this point.
Two of my boys wanted gaming computers and I got them unknown brands but they both rave about it and their friends are envious. Lol
Daughter had an apple but it is near dead now and she needs to replace. She doesn’t want to spend apple money so we will research lower priced options.

Back