My firewall is driving me nuts

ArtLady

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Founding Member
Just got a firewall, downloaded it so there was no manual. Have no idea what to block. Anyone out there with any experience? How do I trace back these alerts to know who to allow?

Without knowing what type of firewall you have it's a bit hard to say.

However, unless you are purposely hosting some kind of web service (web site, email server, ftp, etc) there is nothing that should be open.

There must be some kind of online resources for what you have. At worst, do a general search for the name of the product.

HTH

I have ZoneAlarm Pro on my computer. If that's the one you downloaded, I may be able to get you started, AL.

FGII

Artlady,
I've just got DSL installed and waiting for Nortons to come. Are you using DSL or Cable? Things change so fast anymore an old fart like me is having trouble keeping up. I may have to ask my 14 year old son.

ArtLady,
Try www.bolthole.com/solaris/firewall.html ,it's got general information on firewalls.

Personally I got fed up with messing with firewalls, I added a router. I wanted to network my PC and notebook anyway. I got a Linksys 4 port router. Super easy to install and use. It has built in security in the hardware. Now my notebook and PC have access to one cable modem. The amount of spam has been greatly reduced, though not totally eliminated.

Denny

I am using cable modem with Norton Firewall. Although with Adelphias public financial issues who knows what will happen tomorrow. It looks like the deal with ATT and Comcask is set to go through. That could be interesting.

Back