Museum Glass Over or Under

Eric The Framer

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Hi Guys and Gals, had a customer come in with an old charcoal, nice frame, and with the old wavy who knows made when glass, she is going to keep the old glass, and we are going to mat, mount and put museum glass, my question is over the old glass or under it.

Thanks

My customer wanted the same. I put the museum glass over the wavy glass. I used a 1/4 inch spacer between the pieces of glass. No, it does not reduce the glare from the original glass and not all of the waves show. You could still see some of them and the mars in the original glass. It looked the way she wanted it to.

I asked this a couple years ago. Best advice was to put the original glass in the back of the framing package, and use the Museum glass as the glazing. Heavy as heck but original glass is still with the piece (just not used).

It makes me wonder what is wrong with using MG and put the old glass on top of that. Isn't that the look she really wants? I would show her both options
I suppose if something happens to the frame and the glass breaks, the MG is more likely to break if it's on the outside, and it's much easier to replace. Other than that...:shrug:

I've never known a Charcoal drawing fade. It's about the most lightfast medium there is.
So adding UV filtering glass is a bit overkill. If the customer wants reduced reflection then
AR70 (or similar) would be my choice. and save the wavy glass to use in antiguey things where
that 'look' is desirable. 🙂

I've never known a Charcoal drawing fade. It's about the most lightfast medium there is.
So adding UV filtering glass is a bit overkill. If the customer wants reduced reflection then
AR70 (or similar) would be my choice. and save the wavy glass to use in antiguey things where
that 'look' is desirable. 🙂
There will be no reduced reflection. Whether AR glass is put over or under the old glass, the old glass will still reflect
Going by this you may as well talk yourself out of a job and not add any new glass at all, but even if charcoal really was absolutely UV resistant, the paper it’s on and now a mat, aren't.

Last edited:
From reading your original question, I'm guessing that your customer wants to keep the original frame and glazing, as these match the age and tone of the art work. You are then preserving the art work with a new mat and securing it properly within the package.

If you feel it necessary, you can cover the art with some museum glass. I would agree with Prospero that charcoal does not need that level of UV protection but I don't want to let that get in the way of you making a further sale.
I would then have the original glass as the outside glazing of the frame, being careful to space it away from the museum glass.

I think your customer treasures more the rippling and authenticity of the old glass than any refection it might contribute.

Back