Opinions Wanted Multi Angle Frames

Mike Drury

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
For those of you that cut multi angle frames, what piece of equipment do you use. We have a chopper and a table saw but was thinking if a miter, chop saw is what I need? Would a nice Dewalt be accurate enough? Mike

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I haven't done one lately but....

It's very tedious using a chopper. For a start you would have the cut the sections square and slightly oversize
and then shave the ends. Setting the angle is largely trial and error. Even if you use an accurate gauge there are
more faces to cut than on a square. Sixteen on an octagonal. That means any slight errors will get multiplied. As
as this you have to lash-up some sort of improvised length stop.
If you are doing a number of the same size/no. of sides it's not so bad as once you get the machine set you can
forge ahead. Doing one involves a bit of set-up time.

On a saw it's easier, especially if you have pre-set angle increments. Even then you can go way off. o_O

It's a wise move to calibrate the saw first and do a few test frames using spare timber or scrap moulding.

** If you are framing a bevelled mirror, make the frame first and then get the mirror to fit it. :D Don't ask.....:confused:

Paul Cascio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I'm always very reluctant to tamper with a chopper that's precisely calibrated to cut all my other frames at perfect 45-degree angles. Do I want to risk that for one frame? And if I do, I now have to cut the glass, mats and mounting board to match.

I understand the creative desire to want to do it, but the other side of my brain whispers in my ear that it's not worth it.

Prospero

I understand the creative desire to want to do it, but the other side of my brain whispers in my ear that it's not worth it.

Very True. The last time I did a multi-angle was in the '80s. :D Remember wallpaper moulding. Yuppy mirrors? :p

How many times have you done something mainly to see if you can do it? Fancy mat decoration. Stuff like that. Generally they
come out well and are very satisfying to do, but more of an academic exercise than anything else.

Having done it once you never do it again. :rolleyes:

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
MIKE SAID.
For those of you that cut multi angle frames, what piece of equipment do you use. We have a chopper and a table saw but was thinking if a miter, chop saw is what I need? Would a nice Dewalt be accurate enough? Mike

Yes, I use a old Milwaukee with a Ultra Mitre blade, I also put 80 grit self adhesive sandpaper on the base of the saw to help grip the frame bottom.
As far as the glass and frame package , use the joined frame as a template.

For saw degree, 4 sided frame, 360 divide by 4=90 divide by 2=45 for the cut, 8 sided divide 360 by 8=45 divide by 2=22.5.

Last edited:

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I shudder at the thought. :eek: Not only of the setup, but also getting my VN42 back to normal after years of getting it exactly where I want it to be. No Thanks.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
I use an Incra miter gauge on a carpy old Craftsman table saw (very good blades though). You can do the math and adjust the angle to 1/10th of a degree, or use a template and transfer the angle with a sliding T-bevel.
http://www.rockler.com/incra-miter-1000se-with-telescoping-fence
Attached are some fan cases I made using the Incra. All were glued up using web clamps and temporary internal bracing, then pin nailed. photo(3).jpeg

Mike Drury

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Wally, Those fan frames are awesome! I am not looking to do a lot of multi angle frames however, we get fans and pennants in from time to time and I would like to have the ability to do some multi angle frames. We have done them a few times and I was never completely satisfied with the way they turned out. There are always some multi angle frames entered in frame competitions and they seem to get my attention immediately. It may be because I am marveling at a fellow framers craftsmanship. I like to challenge myself to do tricky framing design and multi angle frames are one way to scratch that itch.

alacrity8

Forum Donor
I'm working on a multi-angled frame for a fanned out set of over sized playing cards.
It's tedious, but fun.
Mostly to see if I can do it.
It's ready for fitting, but I need to have one of the art pieces reprinted.

I shudder at the thought. :eek: Not only of the setup, but also getting my VN42 back to normal after years of getting it exactly where I want it to be. No Thanks.

I was able to hammer in vnails into the backs of the glued corners, so no need to modify the joiner.

Brian

Melinda Tennis

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Business
Melinda's
I have an extra angle attachment for my FrameSquare saw and it works very well. Also an old Barton multi-angle vise. I've made many octagonal and rectangular frames with angled corners. I saved some discontinued sets of painted profiles and made 10 and 12 sided multi-color frames. I put a few V-nails through the outside edges before I got the hang of it.

FM Framer

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
A table saw with a mitre sled would be far better than a home center chop saw. (if using a DeWalt of other brand - be sure to calibrate it first)
Hexagon and octagons can be joined with an underpinner - with a simple jig made form scraps of wood(no need to change the settings).
A multi angle corner vise is something I have and is handy for this type of project.
Or one can add simple (hidden or visible) splines to join multiple angled segments.
A band type of clamp is handy to have as well.

alacrity8

Forum Donor
I have an extra angle attachment for my FrameSquare saw and it works very well. Also an old Barton multi-angle vise. I've made many octagonal and rectangular frames with angled corners. I saved some discontinued sets of painted profiles and made 10 and 12 sided multi-color frames. I put a few V-nails through the outside edges before I got the hang of it.

I just looked up Barton's Multi Angle Vise.
I now want one.
Anyone know a source for one or a similar design?

Thanks,

Brian

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames

Pat Murphey

My SER strap clamps adapt for hexagon and octagon frames. :D (I actually have 8 corner pieces for octagons, the clamp piece works on a straight section.)

pr65.png

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
888's model 8028 is pretty much identical to the Barton, at least the same as the one I own. Interchangeable jaw plates for 3,4,5,6, & 8 sided frames. Could you provide a link to their vise that fits your description? "the Barton's Multi Angle Vise that allow any angle to be joined".

alacrity8

Forum Donor
888's model 8028 is pretty much identical to the Barton, at least the same as the one I own. Interchangeable jaw plates for 3,4,5,6, & 8 sided frames. Could you provide a link to their vise that fits your description? "the Barton's Multi Angle Vise that allow any angle to be joined".

I've never seen one in person, and only looked when someone mentioned the Barton's Vise.

Here are two different models that appear to offer any angle joining:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/barton-multi-angle-mitre-attachment-1835312888
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/bartons-multi-angle-mitre-vise-417496232

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
I have seen pictures of those as well, but I think they are about as common as hen's teeth. I am unaware f anyone that is making anything similar, and if they were, and the tooling was any good at all, the vise would cost a small fortune.
I built all of the fan cases that I posted photos of using Bessey strap clamps with the articulating corner brackets. They have several models and most sell for less than $50.00. This is a link to the model I use. If you do a web search you can find several different styles and prices. I'm not necessarily endorsing Rockler, it was just a convenient site to get a good photo of the clamp.
http://www.rockler.com/bessey-vas23...00E3zJx5xpH4uL3tsBiSX5EnaTvWzG9hoCBOoQAvD_BwE

alacrity8

Forum Donor

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
The fan cases are glued up and strapped all at once. When I make the occasional cruciform frame, I keep the angles standard to those that fit the Barton multi-angle vise, and do those one joint at a time.