Moving an Application

Ron Eggers

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I would like to move an application from my laptop to my desktop PC. I cannot find my installation disk, though I believe it will show up, and I don't want to buy another copy of this rather expensive software. It is not my intention to violate the user's agreement - I don't want it on the laptop any more.

I should be able to do this with Norton Clean Sweep, since it was a logged installation on the laptop - but that isn't working.

I have an older version of Norton Ghost - which I CAN find - if that might work.

Any ideas? If it matters, I'm moving it from a laptop running Windows ME (ugh!) to a desktop running 98SE. That apparently does matter to some utilities that will allow you to migrate applications, or the entire contents of the hard drive, from an older to a newer version of Windows.

(Please don't tell me this would be easy with a Mac. Fact is, there is no Mac version of this application.)

Well, I hate to say it, but moving most apps on Windows is tedious at best. The main things obviously to worry about are getting all the settings from the registry moved over and any DLLs lying around in a Windows sub-folder.

Sometimes though, an application will install a run-time engine from a third-party that has it's own installation (like many applications that use a database), and Clean Sweep tends to overlook those.

And you're right about the OS's, as occasionally some files will be installed for one OS and not another.

Ghost won't work unless you want to completely dump the contents of your laptop to your PC, OS and everything.

Might I ask what's the app in question?

Oh, and I should mention that many modern licensing schemes require the original CD, just to prevent "unauthorized use"...

Most modern apps update settings in the computer's registry, which isn't easily isolated and copied.

What's the app? If you have your serial #, I might have an installation cd that you can borrow. Most of them (Microsoft, etc) track you by the serial, not the cd.

Oh, you guys are going to love this.

The application I'd like to move is my Mat Maestro software.

It sounds like my <strike>best bet</strike> only hope will be to find the installation CD. It's maddening, since I'm normally very systematic about storing and cataloging my software.

Even if I want to run my CMC from the laptop indefinitely (and that works just fine) I'd like to get rid of ME forever, and that will involve reinstalling applications.

[ 12-20-2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Ron Eggers ]

Yes, Ron... Actually that is pretty funny!!
Did you know you can donate all sorts of stuff to schools and get a tax write off?? ;) ;)

You should just ask other Maestro owners if they still have their CDs. I doubt anyone will come after them for burning copies...
What version are you looking for?

Also, have you tried contacting GK Enterprises yet? They might be able to provide something useful.

Good luck...

[ 12-21-2003, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: WizSteve ]

That IS funny

Have you tried copying the folder the software lives in, from one PC to the other? If the computers aren't networked, you may be able to "zip" the folder into a single emailable file which could be emailed from one machine to the other. (or a zip drive, cd burner, etc)

The program is old, so it's likely that may be all that has to be done. If so, you'll also need to create a shortcut that points to the program. You can right click on the wallpaper and select NEW -> SHORTCUT -> BROWSE to do so, or just copy it from c:\windows\desktop\

Asking GK or other Mat Maestro users is a great idea. They may have a newer version, or an improved beta/bug fix that never made it to release. Didn't some of the employees go to GK?

I hope you and yours have a most joyous holiday.

Mike

Their info (not mine):
www.gkenterprises.biz
GK Enterprises
Washington, USA

[ 12-21-2003, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Mike-L@GTP ]

Originally posted by WizSteve:
You should just ask other Maestro owners if they still have their CDs. I doubt anyone will come after them for burning copies...
What version are you looking for?
Steve,

The only other MM owner in Wisconsin lives so far back in the boonies that he owns a pedal power CMC! :eek:

Now his solar powered CD burner works pretty well from what I hear so maybe Ron can barter off a box of ammo and some Little Debbie's for a copy of that much needed program!!

(This is sounding like the old car collector looking for a copy of an owner's manual for an Edsel!) ;)

Framerguy

You all will be relieved to hear that I've moved that application. I had to trick Norton Clean Sweep into thinking that I was backing up and restoring the program to the same computer. Then I had to manually copy a single application extension to the Windows system folder.

This will virtually guarantee that I'll find the original installation CD sometime in the next few days while looking for something else.

Back