Mouse problem

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
I have the kind of mouse problem my kitties cannot solve (thought I'd get that in before any of you guys brought it up).

I am now running both of my laptops - the old Gateway Win7 with an older Logitech M325 mouse and the new Lenovo Win10 with a newer Logitech M325.

The problem is with the Win10 machine - the mouse just stops scrolling kind of all of a sudden. I mean the wheel goes round but the cursor remains where I left it. I can use the scroll bars on the sides OK, but scrolling down a page with the wheel just stops working.

I have set the mouse properties to work with free scrolling, and sometimes it will start working again for a while if I restart the laptop. But sometimes it won't.

Is this a Win10 problem or a Lenovo problem or a Logitech problem? Or a me problem?

Any suggestions?

Oh, and I have researched this through a number of tech forums and I do not seem to be the only one to have this problem and there appear to be few answers.

It is funny - I never realized how much I used the scroll feature until it stops working.

I'm an iMac guy but have you tried swapping the mouses (mice?) to see if anything changes?

And . . . now it is working again.

What the heck?

Could I have a haunted mouse?

:faintthud:

Maybe it picked up on the fact that I was searching online for its replacement . . .

The only experience I have had with an Apple product was the used iPhone given to me by a techy guy. There was not one simgle thing about it I did not hate. Sorry - you will never convince me.

I am travelling this week and using a tiny Lenovo tablet with an attachable keyboard. I have a USB mouse that I use with it if I am doing more than checking email.

While I was here, Windows did one of those big-time updates where they have a bunch of popups before you can use your computer. Since that update, my mouse has been doing exactly what you describe.

The inconsistency is maddening.

I get that when the battery is weak

Hmmm.

Battery was in the middle of the green zone but I popped in a fresh one,

Stay tuned . . .

id switch the mouse AND chip with a different one on another computer, to see if it is the mouse or the computer.If you had to replace it, I think they are about $10

I have switched them back and forth several times to the old laptop and the mouse/chip seems to be working perfectly.

Maybe I'll try for a longer period of time.

Stay tuned.

Once I started thinking power, I wondered if a slow internet connection might be affecting things. If I count to 20, mine starts working again.

But it would be so much more fun to blame Microsoft! 😃 I think I would just replace the mouse and have the satisfaction of trashing the offending mouse.

I just find it baffling that everything else on the mouse works 100% of the time and yet the scroll wheel works on and off, willy nilly. No rhyme or reason. It is an enigma wrapped in a . . . well, nevermind. :rolleyes:

If it's just one piece of the mouse most likely it is a physical problem with the potentiometer inside on that wheel. It sounds like it's time to invest in a new one

Thanks, Mike. Since I am stuck in Canada until the border reopens I will have to put up with quirky mousie until I can order one from the States. Too expensive to buy in Canada! (And my local office supply store does not have red ones!)

yes i remember the old mice with a ball. You would have to sometimes take it apart and clean the rollers from build up gunk. Perhaps your scroll wheel has some debris somewhere that needs cleaning. Try blowing it with air blower. Might move some dust. Worth a try.

I took it apart and used canned air wherever I could and used a flashlight to see into the innards,and there was no gunk at all - no cat hair. Certainly not like the old track balls. They really were dust magnets!

This is a serious question: why would a mouse cost so much more in Canada?

I openly admit my ignorance. Has free trade eroded so much that it is a duty problem?

Most things cost more in Canada, probably because the Canadian dollar is worth about a third less than the US dollar, and the Goods and Services Tax (GST) is 13% on pretty much everything with the exception of nutritious groceries (as opposed to junk food). Sometimes prices balance out to be cheaper in Canada. Only taking me 50 years to figure out what to buy where. It is still a work in progress.

The cheap electronics on eBay are usually from China. That's a big nope-a-roonie for me.

And of course, the mouse has been working just fine all day today. LOL

Nothing like threatening electronics with replacement to get them working again! :)

Nothing like threatening electronics with replacement to get them working again! :)
Sometimes banging them on the table works as well....:oops:
( I didn't say that.....):icon11:

Hey Mar,
Have you tried using a different USB port on the computer for the dongle? I once had a similar issue and found that the problem was the port. In your case, maybe it's full of cat hair...?
😏

I have both 2.0 and 3.0 ports on the offending Lenovo, and the problem recurs with both of them.

But I ought not to say that too loudly because the durned thing had been working now since yesterday morning.

:faintthud:

Found one on eBay for a great price - and it is NIB!

So it will be awaiting my return to the USA, some fine day . . .

Da mouse arrived at my shop and is being held at my neighbor's awaiting my return (if they ever open the US/Canadian border again).

Original mouse is behaving in a predictably unpredictable fashion. :faintthud:

My oldest house mouse stopped working the other day and when I opened it up it was stuffed full of cat hair. Cleaned it out and now it is working like new. :icon21:

My oldest house mouse stopped working the other day and when I opened it up it was stuffed full of cat hair. Cleaned it out and now it is working like new. :icon21:

Your next rodent should be optical. Nothing for cat hair to get into.

Find the "Mouse Properties" link in your control panel and click the "Wheel" tab. Fiddle with the settings for the number of lines to scroll and compare them with the computer that it works on.

Fiddling with Mouse Properties and the scroll was one of the first things I tried. To no avail.

My brand new mouse awaits me at my shop if they ever reopen the border.

Does it require smuggling to get this new mouse to you? If I mailed you one, would the post office deliver it to your home? Would there be a duty since there is no NAFTA anymore? Or is there?

This is fun to kick around here, but knowing that you are having to deal with this problem is starting to make me crazy! :nuts:

Well, what a kind gesture, Greg. Thank you!

But the computer I use most frequently is my old Win7 laptop with my old mouse which is working perfectly.

The problematic mouse is much newer for the newer Win10 laptop which I am trying to get used to using.

And my brand new mouse is all bought and paid for and just awaiting my return to Buffalo. I have waited this long, what's a bit more time?

Brought my brand new mouse home from Buffalo today and it is working great - scrolling like a champ (so far) despite having been packaged with its battery installed. The battery was leaking all over but I cleaned it up fairly successfully.

I brought the old weird mouse to the shop and it is now behaving beautifully on my old XP desktop.

Go figure.

(And it makes me really sad that the last person to try to help me on this crazy post was Greg. We shall miss his kindness and expertise!)

Whoa, Nellie! How did you get into the States?

Whoa, Nellie! How did you get into the States?

I drove over the bridge (see my other thread Back in Business for details).

On the way back home tonight the raodway up to the Peace Bridge was so deserted there were two gigantic glossy black turkey vultures fighting over some road kill right on the verge!

Back