mounting tissue on artwork

E

El Framo

Guest
I just pulled several pieces out of my press and noticed the heat mount tissue has "rolled" over onto the face of the art. What are my chances (if any) of removing the tissue without removing the art?

If this can be done, how is the best way to do so?

Thanks.
 
Try putting the piece back into the press with the lid closed but not locked down for a few seconds - this should allow you to pull off the tissue with minimal residue on the art. Lighter fluid can also be used to remove some residue (depending of course on the tissue, media, paper, etc.) Lighter fluid (naptha) is the kindest of solvents and the one I always try first (if spit doesn't work!).

Good luck!
 
We use a great product called Speedmount, if you don't know what this is...
It is a dry, heat activated adhesive, already applied to foamcore. 3min. in press at 150 degrees for most things.
Will mount just about anything not so good with papyrus, or parchment though (but then I don't dry mount these things anyway). Also comes in Black! great for newspapers.
Just came out with an archival type--havn't used this one yet.
No Tissue!! it is so fun, easy and fast!
let me know if you want more info.
Elsa
 
Framar, thanks for the info, I'm warming up my press now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Elsa, thanks for your input as well. We have used Speedmount, but I find it is more cost effective to use tissue on a roll (until I mount tissue to the front of a piece of art and have to spend all day fixing it). I'm anxious to try the new Archival product though.

Thanks guys.
 
You didn't say what kind of art it is. If it is an open-edition, offset lithograph (like a poster, for example) then you might be better off to just buy a new one.

Some dry mount adhesives are releasable with re-application of heat (thermoplastic, as I recall), but some are not affected by re-heating (thermosetting, as I recall).

If the heat trick doesn't work, you could try adhesive release. In an open space with plenty of ventilation, place your problem on a flat table top. Pour a generous amount of adhesive release on the affected area and cover it with a piece of plain glass. The glass covering slows evaporation and helps the solution work. If it evaporates before the adhesive is dissolved, do it again.

That will definately dissolve the adhesive, and it won't hurt most lithographs. However, if you breathe the fumes you will die early. Be careful with toxic things.

If the print is old and dirty, you would see soil-tidelines afer the solution evaporates.

And the thickness of the tissue might leave a debossed mark on the art paper, where it was pressed.

If the art is anything other than an open-edition lithograph, you probably shouldn't have mounted it in the first place. If that's the case and you're uncertain about how to solve the problem, call a conservator.

Please don't ask how I know this stuff. :(
 
The art in question is a page from a rolling stone magazine. Unfortunately, none of the recomended fixes have worked, mostly due to the cheap quality of the magazine paper. The upside is that with a little detective work, I'll be able to replace the image. Or at the very least, I can drink enough UnSeal to forget my woes.
 
El Framo,

where were you in the '70's! You don't drink UnSeal, you put it into a paperbag and huff it!

Geez, it would be knid of like drinking Drano, sure, you can do it: but only once! No second time with this baby!
 
BTW sorry to hear about the mounting tissue errors! The lighter fluid fix has worked for me in the past as well, but it has also take the inks off of a couple of prints. So follow the Woolite directions, test in an inconspicous area for colorfastness!
 
Back
Top