Question Mounting Old News Paper

trewin

Grumbler
Need some help. Please advise the best method to archivally mount a full page news paper. Would like to "float" the piece, but feel any application of water based adhesives will bleed through to front of paper. If float is not possible, willing to apply a top mat to hide any bleed through around paper's margin. Paper's margin's are torn approx. 1/2" in toward paper's center. Paper printed in 1936. Thanks for your suggestions. Norm @ Trewin Framery

In order to preserve the original, I would make a high quality copy and frame that. Keep the newspaper in a dark safe enclosure, stored.

If that is not an option and he wants to frame the original; You might want to buy Jim Miller's book on DCO (direct contact overlay).

In order to preserve the original, I would make a high quality copy and frame that. Keep the newspaper in a dark safe enclosure, stored.

If that is not an option and he wants to frame the original; You might want to buy Jim Miller's book on DCO (direct contact overlay).
Thank - you, Ylva. I will look into Jim Miller's book. I suggested encapsulation, then float but the client is not happy with the appearance.
I appreciate taking time out to reply.
Norm @ Trewinn Framery

... Please advise the best method to archivally mount a full page news paper...
Those words "archivally mount" disqualify the majority of attachment options. First, the attachment should be non-invasive and completely reversible, which eliminates all adhesive mounts, except maybe torn Japanese paper hinges held by starch paste/methyl cellulose/Klucel G. But then, the old, fragile, deteriorated paper probably could not support its own weight from a couple of small contact points, and would tear itself from the mounts on minor impact or any kind of stress. Dry mounting and wet mounting are very permanent, so out of the question.

Also, if you could find an acceptable mounting technique for the paper, it would react badly to any exposure to radiation - such as visible light, or even worse, ultraviolet. That would accelerate the discoloration and embrittlement of the paper.

Plan A: Do as Ylva says - frame a high-quality digital reproduction, make a couple of extra copies for the owner, and suggest that he keep the original in a proper storage container.

Plan B: If you absolutely must frame the original, you could encapsulate it in Mylar-D, which would provide overall support with no adhesive in direct contact, and you could show the edges of the sheet in a mat window cut about 1/8" larger that the sheet. Framers are often "not happy with the appearance", but most consumers accept it when they realize that museums often frame fragile papers that way, and when they understand the benefits.

Plan C: Frame it using a Direct Contact Overlay (DCO) of fine-mesh fabric (Crepeline) or acrylic. Instructions and several cautions are explained in the book.

Plan B or Plan C might be OK for support and reversibility, but make sure your customer understands that the old newspaper will continue to discolor and deteriorate, and at a much faster rate than it did during those decades when it was stored in a dark, temperate place...maybe in a box, well insulated from ambient changes under other papers? (just guessing)

Hi, Trewin. The above ideas are also my first thoughts. But, just so you know, there's also this option. Phoenix Art Restoration, in Western Washington, can mount old newpapers to rag mat backings, with a non-acidic material. If you e-mail a photo and the size, they could give you a quote. I'm guessing that if the customer was willing to pay for it, they'd take the time to trim the tissue so it follows the border line and doesn't show through. This would only work if your customer is fine with it being permanently mounted, and I'd still go with the above suggestions first. But, it's good to know that they offer the service. And also likely that there are paper conservators in CA who do it.

For a project I did a few years ago an article came in missing parts. I contacted the newspaper - or in this case the library which archived old newspapers. I was able to get a scan/pdf of the original article. I then had it digitally restored and printed. customer was thrilled. As newspaper continue to break down, I guess you method is based on the purpose of framing "this article/paper."
Be sure you post what you end up doing.

Those words "archivally mount" disqualify the majority of attachment options. First, the attachment should be non-invasive and completely reversible, which eliminates all adhesive mounts, except maybe torn Japanese paper hinges held by starch paste/methyl cellulose/Klucel G. But then, the old, fragile, deteriorated paper probably could not support its own weight from a couple of small contact points, and would tear itself from the mounts on minor impact or any kind of stress. Dry mounting and wet mounting are very permanent, so out of the question.

Also, if you could find an acceptable mounting technique for the paper, it would react badly to any exposure to radiation - such as visible light, or even worse, ultraviolet. That would accelerate the discoloration and embrittlement of the paper.

Plan A: Do as Ylva says - frame a high-quality digital reproduction, make a couple of extra copies for the owner, and suggest that he keep the original in a proper storage container.

Plan B: If you absolutely must frame the original, you could encapsulate it in Mylar-D, which would provide overall support with no adhesive in direct contact, and you could show the edges of the sheet in a mat window cut about 1/8" larger that the sheet. Framers are often "not happy with the appearance", but most consumers accept it when they realize that museums often frame fragile papers that way, and when they understand the benefits.

Plan C: Frame it using a Direct Contact Overlay (DCO) of fine-mesh fabric (Crepeline) or acrylic. Instructions and several cautions are explained in the book.

Plan B or Plan C might be OK for support and reversibility, but make sure your customer understands that the old newspaper will continue to discolor and deteriorate, and at a much faster rate than it did during those decades when it was stored in a dark, temperate place...maybe in a box, well insulated from ambient changes under other papers? (just guessing)

Hi, Trewin. The above ideas are also my first thoughts. But, just so you know, there's also this option. Phoenix Art Restoration, in Western Washington, can mount old newpapers to rag mat backings, with a non-acidic material. If you e-mail a photo and the size, they could give you a quote. I'm guessing that if the customer was willing to pay for it, they'd take the time to trim the tissue so it follows the border line and doesn't show through. This would only work if your customer is fine with it being permanently mounted, and I'd still go with the above suggestions first. But, it's good to know that they offer the service. And also likely that there are paper conservators in CA who do it.

For a project I did a few years ago an article came in missing parts. I contacted the newspaper - or in this case the library which archived old newspapers. I was able to get a scan/pdf of the original article. I then had it digitally restored and printed. customer was thrilled. As newspaper continue to break down, I guess you method is based on the purpose of framing "this article/paper."
Wow! MnSue! Great idea! Probably not as pricey as going to a paper conservator. I'll look into that option.
I will let you know which way this thing pans out.

Much appreciation for your time and considerations.

Norm @ Trewin Framery

If you cant get the PDF, then photograph the newspaper and select a white point in the white margin, and presto - the newspaper will look new. You can also fix any debris, folds, marks on from the orginal newspaper. Print this on a good mat paper such as Epson enhance mat. This looks so much better and will last at least 70+ years due to the archival quality of the paper. You can be sure the original newspaper will start to turn yellow, and it probably already has. Every customer I worked with liked this approach.

Back