mounting oil and encaustic on paper

froptop

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Goodmorning fellow grumblers,

I have a series of paintings on 140# paper, done in encaustic and oil.

Customer wants them mounted, with NO glazing.

Should I wet mount? I'm afraid spray will not have enough hold. What about ATG - the process does not have to be reversable. I have a heat press but not a vacuum. Would vacuum without heat be best?

Help! Sizes range from 31x31 to 43x40... Thanks

They don't exactly lie flat. The customer want

If any wax seeped through to the back of the paper you're out of luck, unless you want to glue it WITH wax. I have a good customer who used to paint in oil on canson paper. I wet mount them to ragboard with PVA, then PVA the ragboard to 1/2 birch veneer plywood, and frame them in a splined maple float frame. I have convinced him to paint on matboard, and to keep the backside clean.

I would really wait to hear from Hugh or Rebecca before I proceeded.
These kinds of things have more issues than National Geographic.
Water based attachments (Nori, vegetable starch, etc.) won't adhere to oil/wax, and any solvent based adhesive would react with the media.

My experience with encaustic is that they are terribly fragile. Not glazing then would really compromise their longevity. You can't really even dust them without disturbing the pigments, and the pigments do attract dust.

The only thing adhesive-wise that worked on a drawing on oiled paper that I framed a few years back was lascaux.

I am not sure how I would handle these, though. Paper, no glazing? Sticky wicket...

edie the hmmmmwhatnow goddess

Since these paper-borne artworks are to be framed without glazing, their useful life will be severely limited. So, the mounting method probably is not important.

These are decorative-only artworks of no long term value, right? If you're not sure the customer agrees, then you'd best schedule a little prayer meeting with that customer to explain the facts of framing.

I suggest you check the archives about using ATG to mount ANYthing. Pressure sensitive tape adhesives are among the most-damaging and least-permanent mounting choices.

My suggestion would be sturdy edge mounts, window mats, and anti-reflection glazing.

Jim has it right. The client's desire to have no
glazing is not cast in stone. You may be able to
hinge these items and it is worth taking a stab
at that and then do us the anti-reflective glazing. If hinges won't stick, a photo of the
edges of these items should help determine what
sort of edge support would work best.

Hugh

Back