Mounting Heavy Wallpaper

MerpsMom

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Founding Member
Good morning, Gurus. I took in a piece of very odd wallcovering yesterday. Think small rectangles of flat bamboo adhered to a flexible backing which allows it to roll similarly to those rollup shades you find on porches.

Designer wants it mounted, framed with no glass. Piece is about 34 by 40 and strictly decorative. I'm thinking of mounting with Frank's Fabric Glue to plexi. If mounting to foamcore, I think it would bow even with counter-mounting.

Any suggestions here? Hope all are doing well here!

Cathie

??? I'd call Franks. I doubt the glue would adhere to plexi's surface. Maybe sand the acrylic a bit, then use acrylic gel medium as the glue?

Good ideas, both. I tried a piece of fabric matboard on plexi with Frank's. Very tight and not coming off, but...other substrate probably better. Cost may be an issue on this one so there's that. 😏. Unusual for this designer to even mention price....hmmm, she deals with higher end and they don't dare question her ever. I've loved having her for 25 years. She scares me as well. 😁 Hmmm

I guess it all depends on the frame you put around it as well. Maybe it would be a cool look to glue it to plexi and then frame it in a somewhat sturdy frame to deal with the flex.

Once it's hanging, it should be okay?

White glue onto plywood..something around 3/8".

Easiest is drymount with mountcor canvas board. It may bow over time with no glazing, so you could put a stiffer board in the back with some dots of glue in the center.

OR

Mount the wallpaper on Hard board (masonite), it's like $25 for 4 ft x 8 ft sheet at Home Depot. But 3/8" birch Plywood would be better. Use wallpaper adhesive. Would have to paint surface with primer first to get adhesive to stick.

FYI, wet mount with wallpaper adhesive on foam board bows like CRAZY over time.

Acrylic is not gas impervious and will bow the same as any board will if you seal only one side. Always toward the side with the higher humidity.
In this case the bowing will probably be temporary as the applied wallpaper and whatever you apply it with will only slow the humidity, not stop it.
I have mounted ink jet prints to acrylic using Fusion 4000, and laminated over the mounted art. Not that I would suggest that for something that can't be easily replaced. Acrylic has a pretty healthy expansion:heat ratio.
BTW, these pieces are hung outside on a fence in a heavily wooded subdivision here in N Florida. They have been up for about 7 years and seem to be doing fine. Go figure.

Last edited:
Back