• Welcome! You will have to register a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
AIM: New/Used Picture Framing Equip. 330-405-9421

mounting gouache on cardboard


CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Jan 8, 2009
I have a cardboard painting that curled the cardboard. I will place in deep frame with lots of frame space so I 'm not concerned about flattening.
But what is best way to mount? Don't want to dry mount. I guess I could hinge but was thinking about sewing to back? I have the curve to consider, when placed with center on surface the edge is 1/2" off. Item is 13" x 19"


SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Jul 14, 2008
I would probably “nest” it.
Use pieces of foam board to build up and support where needed. Use a top mat to hold all in place.

Not sure how to explain. Kinda like fill up the space between bottom mat and top mat while providing support

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Jun 30, 1999
I think what Ylva is describing is called a sink mount. You build a sort of trough the height of the highest part of the piece using layers of foamboard strips. The mat sits atop this, and holds the piece in place all around by overlapping the edge slightly. This method is often used to mount thick objects like magazines, or paintings on panels which will be matted.

Sink Mount.jpg

:cool: Rick
Presto Frame & Moudling 800-431-1622
Quality Matters At 888 Manufacturing
;Added 5/9/20 MPL to disable rich text editor by default for IOS devices that have bug in browser