Mounting Dollar Bills

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I need to mount seven dollar bills overlapped in an arc (or somewhat "fanned") arrangement. What would be the best way to do this safely and reliably but unobtrusively?
:cool: Rick

I suppose it would matter if the bills are paper or plastic. For plastic bills (Mexican or Canadian), I have used a smidge of ATG. For American paper bills I have used a few tiny dots of Frank's.

It would also depend on what you are using as a substrate - paper mat or fabric.

I'd probably use Abaca tape. and if that didn't work little dots of pH neural or Franks.

I mounted many many bills for a display at the Cleveland Federal Reserve. The work had to be done in their (quite beautiful) building, within the sight of two guards, plus our minder’s. It was kind of insane. Each bill had it’s own piece of black 8-ply and a pair of pass-through polyethylene straps. (They designed it, not I.)
For your project, paste or whatever. Bills go through the washer & dryer all the time, little worse for wear.

Since the monetary value of those bills will never exceed $7 total, preservation may not be an issue worth considering, so I'd probably use tiny dots of starch paste or Klucel-G (activate with water or alcohol).

Or, if the bills have personal value beyond their limited monetary value, sufficient to merit preservation mounting, then a clear film Wrap Mount, as Shayla mentioned above, would enable nearly any overlapping configuration with no adhesive in direct contact, and it would be completely reversible.

For your project, paste or whatever. Bills go through the washer & dryer all the time, little worse for wear.
Ah, yes, the voice of reason.

Welcome back, 05. Do your recent posts signal a return to regular Grumble participation? I, for one, hope you will stick around and continue to share your considerable expertise. Your advice is appreciated by many of us.

What nice words, I thank you. They are much appreciated in our troubled times. Much of the staff where I worked got canned so I'm not learning anything new to share...and I took a bad fall, I have this new titanium shoulder, so I'm kinda restricted to the bed. I don't do 'social' media, I thought the grumblers might help me not grumble so much. We'll see how long it lasts. Thanks again. 05.

05, Grumblers are always here for you. Sounds like you have been through a lot. I have heard that shoulder surgery is the absolute worst to recover from. Makes a new hip look like a cool breeze.

05, I too hope you stick around. You might not learn anything new, but we all sure do. Just your last posts contain a wealth of information.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble. It has not been an easy year, but having to deal with job loss and shoulder surgery is too much. So grumble away, we're here.

Back