Mounting a metal 'sculpture'

Sherry Lee

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Phoenix, Az.
A customer has a 'metal (copper) sculpture' that she want to have placed into a frame; no glazing.

By 'metal sculpture', this is one of those wall hangings, 2' x 3' - you see a lot of them in the southwest. This is an eagle - they use a flat piece of copper, but bend it in such a way that it has some dimension, but not statue-like.

I haven't seen it yet, but she said there is a 'long piece of wood behind it'. I don't know the weight of it - shouldn't be like lead though.

Any suggestions for the substrate? It is going over a fireplace. Would copper wire be the best mounting component?

I realize I am giving you the same limited information that I have, but want to give this some thought now.

As always, thanks MUCH!

Scott

True Grumbler
From
Fairview Heights, Il , US
I once framed a 2' x 3' nickel plated copper thing, which sounds much like what you described. It looked sort of like a large shield with interesting cutouts and came from Iran. I had a jeweler buddy braise four heavy copper wires (about the thickness of a wire coat hanger) on to the back. After I covered some thin plywood with a mat, I drilled holes into backing board and threaded the wires through and tied them off. As far as I know its still holding up.

If your sculpture has wood on it for mounting, then use it to bolt on to some luan or thin plywood covered with a nice suede mat.

Good luck.

shopmonkey cpf

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
From
san diego, ca
perhaps that "piece of wood" attached to it is a cleat. if so you could fabricate a floatboard, and then attach a mating cleat to the platform by screwing it through the board---voila!!
if it isn't a cleat, but rather a reinforcement of some kind, you could maybe screw directly into it through the platform...eh?
good luck,
DZ

Sherry Lee

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Phoenix, Az.
Thank you Scott and DZ for your time and efforts!! If I have any questions, once I see this object, I might contact you.

Scott - I agree, what you framed sounds exactly like what I'm describing.