• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

mounting a large map

Randall C Colvin

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
What methods and materials are best suited to mounting a map 3'X5' so that push pins can used to mark locations?

Hazany

I would mount it onto gator board. If you have a dry mount press or a mechanical press or a roller press, the mounting should be straight forward.
Bruce Hazany
Vision Graphics
Philadelphia

Randall C Colvin

I would mount it onto gator board. If you have a dry mount press or a mechanical press or a roller press, the mounting should be straight forward.
Bruce Hazany
Vision Graphics
Philadelphia
Thanks. I have a dry mount press but the 3' width presents a problem. I'm afraid the 18" depth of my press wouldn't allow me to overlap the mount bites adequately.

Hazany

I know what you mean. There is also the option of using a spray adhesive such as Super 77 but that’s tricky to do and I am not sure how permanent it is.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
You may want to check with some a vendor or another framer that has a larger drymount press. There are also some sign makers and graphic design shop that have a larger press, if you can't find it else were I would check them out. Gatorboard or Ultraboard are good choices.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
A large cold laminating roller press would also do the trick if there is one near you. I would have it mounted onto 10mm Kapafix or the equivalent in gator Board. I definitely would not trust a spray adhesive on something that size.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I know what you mean. There is also the option of using a spray adhesive such as Super 77 but that’s tricky to do and I am not sure how permanent it is.
Spray adhesives are not permanent, but they are toxic. Long after the adhesive fails, its particulate residue would still be in your lungs. Unless, of course, you use a proper mask. Spray adhesives are expensive, too.

echavez123

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Cold mount through a roller press using a roll of adhesive such a Drymount is easy peasy if you have the equipment and know the technique. You can even do it without a roller press, but you need to lay the map down with something like a 36" or larger roll of kraft paper. Doing it this way is a bit tricky, since you are emulating the function of a roller press.

Best to find a shop that has the equipment and can do this for you; otherwise, you would have to invest in a roller press (~$3000) and roll of adhesive (~$200)

Randall C Colvin

Thank you all for your advice.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding