• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Mounting a canvas photo

Janet Framer

Grumbler in Training
I need to dry mount a 40x60 canvas photo. The quality is not thick, like the canvas off of art.com. He didn't want to frame it so I suggested mounting onto 1/2" Mighty core using Fusion tissue so it doesn't warp. I've been successful with this before at 190 degrees and 5 minutes.

This canvas won't stick though! I even went to 200 degrees at 6 minutes and let it set overnight in the machine.

Is there a way to make this work? Should I just get gator kool tack and forget about the mighty core?

thanks

Framar

WOW Framer
Is there any border around the image? If so you could "stretch" it around the mighty core with straight pins and then maybe glue the remaining canvas onto the back and then remove the pins. Sounds like the "canvas" has some sort of non-stick coating on it. Good luck!

And if that doesn't work I'd look into hiring a sign company to do the job - maybe they have tricks we don't have.

wvframer

RIP
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
This is unusual for a printed canvas. I suspect that this is not intended for mounting and has been coated with something. If fusion won't hold it, it is unlikely that Kool Tack will. You might try coating a small piece of the edge with some acrylic medium then putting it in the press and 160F and see if that holds. If it does, the Kool Tack will work.

This could be a sign-making material that is designed for short-term display in sign frames that hold them under pressure. It is very inexpensive when compared with the canvas art is usually printed on.

Is there enough edge to experiment to see if PVA, Yes, or some other form of adhesive will grab?

Unless the customer objects, I might be inclined to go ahead and stretch it. This could eat up more time than the cost of the stretcher bar.

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
My worry about this is that even if whatever adhesive you use holds initially the canvas may start to bubble later and then delaminating it and going back to square one would be even more costly.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
If dry mounting tissue did not work, maybe it was too smooth to bond with the textured surface of the canvas. Kool Tack E-2 adhesive is thicker than other pre-applied adhesives and made to bond with textured surfaces. And since it is reversible, I would try that before using a permanent adhesive attachment. Several Kool Tack products have E-2 pre-applied and your supplier should be able to advise you about the choices readily available from their stock.

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to try PVA glue first with the border it has.
If you must glue it down, acrylic gel probably would work better than PVA. If you glue down only the perimeter, the mid-section could wrinkle and become wavy from normal expansion & contraction cycles over time.

Jerry Hadam

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
I have glued some very large canvas to gatorboard using Framing Fabrics fabric glue. Slightly more viscous than PVA and a slower dry time. I roll it out with a disposable foam roller. Two person job one rolling glue, one unrolling canvas. Lightly rub down with silicone release paper on top to prevent 'chafing ' the ink on the surface. Cover with foam core and weights. I usually leave the overnight. Works great.