Mounting 16 lb gas nozzle

David Knox

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
We have a 16 lb. gas nozzle to frame. Right now our best option seems to be to paint plywood black and use black painted dowel rods patterned at strategic places to hold the nozzle in place. The customer has many more for us to frame depending on the look of this one. Anyone have other suggestions that might hold this baby in place?

Does it have to be removable? I'd consider drilling a couple of holes in it from the back and tapping them so you can use screws and standoffs to float the thing in a shadow box.

Four hole brass mending plates are flexible and
strong enough to hold these items. They can be
found at Quatrefoil.com.

Hugh

If the nozzle is collectible -- or if it may become collectible in the future -- changing its condition by drilling it would reduce its value. It is unnecessary to do that.

For the mount board, I suggest using 10 mm fluted polypropylene with the flutes running vertically, covered with a suitable mat or fabric. That makes a lightweight and structurally sturdy mounting board, but if more support is needed, use two 6 mm layers with their flutes crossed.

For mounts if the nozzle is to remain in the frame, I suggest using at least four clear polyester film straps at about 1" wide (or six straps 3/4" wide), with at least 6" of each strap (3" each end) secured to the back of the mount board with double-sided 3M #889 tape. If necessary, build spacers to fill gaps between the mounting points and the board.

For mounts if the nozzle is to be removable, I suggest .032 or .055 diameter spring steel "piano wire", available at most hobby stores. Bend the rods to fit contours of the nozzle at four or more critical support points, and cover them with shrink tubing. Build or buy a "Gravity Groove" acrylic box, which requires no hardware and opens with no tools.

Bend each mount to create what I call the "pegboard effect", so that the stress of the mount is transferred to the back of the board vertically, above the mount. Configure each mount to acommodate lifting the nozzle up and out. Encapsulate 3" or so of each mount into the airspace between flutes of the board, using epoxy or other hard-setting glue.

Thanks guys,
I actually had a handy guy friend stop by the shop yesterday and here's what we've decided to do. We'll use offset clips in the handle and nozzle ends; slip one end through a slit in matboard and screw to plywood from the backside. (While at the same time adding some glue to hold the matboard to the plywood). He says it can be done! The nozzle end is brass and the handle end is chrome. My friend may make an offset from brass and I don't think it's necessary because the only thing showing is the end of the 1/8" offset inside the nozzle. The chrome end looked great with a 3/8" offset and hopefully he's working on this today. We're trying to do an extra good job for this extra good customer as he has many more he would like to do depending on the outcome of this project. I'm taking digital pics as we progress and hopefully you'll see them soon.

I loved the gravity groove frames at the show... Thought it was the highlight of new things I loved. I have my dad's small guitar from the 1920's that I'm planning to put into a gravity groove box after the first of the year.
Sherry

Back