Moulding Shipping Options

Marc Lizer

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
OK, so not every vendor has trucks that deliver, and for the ones that do deliver, you may need it sooner.

Or you may not be on the local route for the compnay truck.

What do you do?

UPS has the hize limits, and a nice price tag too.

Have you actually asked your vendors what companies they use to ship? The willactually give you an answer that includes more than UPS.

Some are even cheaper and some do not have the size restrictions.

Most are regional shippers. Like they service one or two states. Or even just one city and it's suburbs. For instance, I use Pacific Messenger. They service LA, San Diego and San Francisco (and all that's inbetween).

In Florida there are simillar North-South delivery services.

So the questions are:
Who do you use aside from UPS (or Fedex)?

Have you actually asked your vendors who they ship via aside from UPS (or Fedex)?

There are alot of compnaies that need long product. The other main thing that Pac Mess carries are Blinds.

Unlike mldg, that can't be cut 5 and balance. And they need it shipped inexpensivley.

Explore your opitions. . . .

Pacific messenger is our default shipper for in state. UPS, out of state & need fast.
Just In Time is the cheapest, but also the slowest.

John

Speedee is an excellent regional alternative to UPS that services Wisconsin, Minnesota, northern Illinois and possibly elsewhere.

It was recommended by the helpful folks at the UPS store. :eek:

I use to get FedUp(S) with FedEx and UPS. Mouldings and matboards were almost a-l-w-a-y-s damaged. (They said it was "Incorrect Packaging"...lol) I killed this problem. Since about 1985 all mouldings and matboards are ordered by the "full box" (usually 5 boxes of moulding and 100-300 sheets of matboards)and are shipped via Yellow Trucking, or any other main truckline. Since 1985, i have had VERY few mouldings or matboards damaged (not enough to complain about). A really badly damaged box of mouldings only happened once. The driver reported the problem. I was told to "keep it" and save what i could (about 50% was saved)until another box was delivered. So Marc... you might want to consider this. It saves a lot of headaches. Good luck.

UPS:
icon45.gif
It it ain't broke... don't ship it.
UPS:
thumbsup.gif
If at first you don't succeed... lie, lie, lie.

Back