• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Morso chopper question

Frame Maker SA

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Hello everyone...

I recently bought new rabbit supports for my Morso chopper. They are great and beautifully built. But, the new angle iron that actually supports the rabbit does not meet the blades very closely. My old supports came right up next to the blade and supported the whole rabbit. These new ones have a 1/16" gap. This space allows pulling and tearing of the rabbit underneath....which was one of the problems I was trying to remedy with these new supports. I called the supplier to see if there was any sort of adjustment left to right, and they said no. So i figured I would not hurt to post the question here. Its annoying because these new supports could be perfect, but instead I am having some of the same issues that I had before.

morso 2.jpg morso 1.jpg

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I had the same problem with my old Jyden rabbet supports. I solved it by adhering a thin piece of hardwood, probably maple, to the support face and trimming it with the blade then sanding it a bit to clean it up. A good 2 part epoxy will work if you make sure the surfaces are clean and maybe even rough up the surface of the support a bit so the epoxy has something to grab. Disassembling the support will help in this process.

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I can't say I ever had a problem like that in years of using a Morso. At the worst, some of the longer grain timber mouldings would have a few whiskers under the rebate but a quick slice with a Stanley knife easily fixed that.

My supports were a bit worn and it occurs to me that, if the supports had extended too close to the edge of the cut, they could actually get caught by the blade.

wvframer

RIP
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly do the supports wear out? Aren't they much harder than anything they come in contact with? Or was the wear in the mechanism that moves them?

I am having a tough time visualizing this.

Frame Maker SA

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly do the supports wear out? Aren't they much harder than anything they come in contact with? Or was the wear in the mechanism that moves them?

The old support on the left side was not level anymore, causing a gap. The left side of the support would snug up to the moulding, but the right side would not. I had to over snug upward to even get a decent cut. The empty space underneath allowed tearing and pulling. The angle iron on the old support was riveted, and was not removable. (well at least by me....im guessing it could be drilled out).

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Frame Maker SA

I had the same problem with my old Jyden rabbet supports. I solved it by adhering a thin piece of hardwood, probably maple, to the support face and trimming it with the blade then sanding it a bit to clean it up. A good 2 part epoxy will work if you make sure the surfaces are clean and maybe even rough up the surface of the support a bit so the epoxy has something to grab. Disassembling the support will help in this process.
Thank you. I may try this.

Morso

Grumbler in Training
Hi all,
Interesting discussion you are having here. It is correct that when you replace your rabbet supports you may have a risk that the replacement ones are not as close to the blades as the original ones. This is due to the fact that our replacement supports also fits the Morso machines which was made in the very start in 1911 by my great grand father. I don't think you can get parts for machines more than 100 years old by many other manufactures. :)

If the angle iron should get in touch with your blades you would have to either get your blades resharpend or buy new bladess:). This is why we have made sure there is a distance. But to get as close to the blades as possible we also do some special rabbet supports where we have attached some plastic to the angle iron. Then using the same principle as already mentioned in the post. First time you cut, the blades cuts the plastic to size and you can work from there. Hard wood can also be used.

And by the way, did you know that we also do taller rabbet supports for box framing? They are supporting from 1 3/4" to a little less than 3"

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
What wore out with my Jyden, bought used in 1973, was the foot of the support that fits in the track on the bed. It had gotten so sloppy that it would bind up sliding in and out. No amount of wax would lubricate the movement enough, so eventually I bought a new set that had this same issue of being about 1/8" inset from the cut resulting in slight fraying.

wvframer

RIP
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Now I get it. Thanks, Wally.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only