Conservation Mixing and Storing Starch Paste

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping
Topic of Preservation and Conservation

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
By using pure alcohol, the solvent flashes and dries before it can cause any issue.
Nice article. You are only telling us that you changed to Glucel G from wheat paste and Glucel G mixture dries quickly before causing an issues. I know there is more than one person here that would like to know how to mix the powder with the alcohol from someone that has your real experience. How much Klucel G to how much alcohol...what purity of alcohol? I have personally done some testing and am down to 2 tsp to 4oz of 99% alcohol and 3 tsp to 4 oz of 99% alcohol. I have not and will not use this product on customer's art before I am absolutely sure on how to use it. I really cannot find any information with mixing instructions for hinges for paper attachment.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)
Business
Retired
For me, as things stand, there would have to be a very good reason for taking klucel on. It would have to be more effective than starch paste and or no less convenient, or I would need read it is preferable from conservation institutes and why i.e along with some starch paste related horror stories that are not down to user error.

Some interesting stuff on starch paste

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Mary Beth van der Horst

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Won't show well, SORRY.
Go to:
Search for Klucel G, at bottom of the page is technical prep instructions
Do you follow these instructions? The instructions on Tala's site read like they were copy/pasted from the methods section of a chemical analysis paper. They describe how to dissolve using water, but not using another solvent such as isopropyl. That is important because it's a bit more complex to monitor tempurature and premix a water-slurry, vs just shake and sit in alcohol. Also, exact ratios are omitted completely. The abridged instructions on the Lineco bottle are more helpful imo.

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor

Try this:​

Info From University Products:​

Klucel G​

DETAILS
Klucel G can be dissolved in either water or alcohol, but it is its solubility in alcohol that presents the most useful possibility. It introduces the prospect of adhesion without the deformation that water can cause. Klucel G is also a leather consolidant that assists in the prevention of the spread of damage caused by red rot.
Directions for use in hinging artwork: Mix Klucel G with either ethanol or isopropyl alcohol (use about twice as much alcohol as powder) in a closed jar and shake vigorously rather than stirring. Since one is mixing a powder with a liquid, proportions may get a bit unspecific, but once the alcohol has infused the powder, it should turn from cloudy to clear in several hours or overnight. This creates a thicker version of the material and should bond more strongly. A thicker form of Klucel G is likely to bond better as it readily forms a skin and that skin will shrink as the alcohol evaporates, drawing the two surfaces together.
Directions for leather consolidation: Mix Klucel G with either ethanol or isopropyl alcohol (alcohol should be at room temperature). Use 1 teaspoon of Klucel G for each 4 ounces of liquid alcohol. Slowly sprinkle the Klucel G powder in to the alcohol and stir or shake to mix. The mixture will appear clumpy and thick at first but allow at least 24 hours for the material to completely dissolve. Mix and store in a sealed container to prevent evaporation. Mix or shake again prior to application. Gently apply a thin, even coating to area of deteriorating (red rot) leather. When dried, additional applications may be required if leather still appears dry or powdery.
Directions for reinforcing paper: Mix Klucel G with either ethanol or isopropyl alcohol (use ½ teaspoon of Klucel G for each 4 ounces of alcohol. With a small paint or sponge brush, carefully apply a thin, even coating of the mixed gel to the paper and allow to dry.
RESOURCES
FEATURES

Manny Costa

True Grumbler
Nice article. You are only telling us that you changed to Glucel G from wheat paste and Glucel G mixture dries quickly before causing an issues. I know there is more than one person here that would like to know how to mix the powder with the alcohol from someone that has your real experience. How much Klucel G to how much alcohol...what purity of alcohol? I have personally done some testing and am down to 2 tsp to 4oz of 99% alcohol and 3 tsp to 4 oz of 99% alcohol. I have not and will not use this product on customer's art before I am absolutely sure on how to use it. I really cannot find any information with mixing instructions for hinges for paper attachment.
Hi Joe, I actually have never used wheatpaste adhesives with Japanese paper hinging... but used pressure-sensitive tapes and gummed linen tapes when i first began hinging paper

In my opinion, picture framers (especially on this forum) who use wheat paste with water for mounting are actually VERY skilled at hinging and have many years of experience doing this properly. if you can master using wheat paste or klucel G with Water ( which i truly believe we all should) then using klucel G with alcohol is in fact much easier which was why I truthfully began to use it in the first place as I've only been framing on all realms from beginning to end since 2018.

the mix ratio I use is 1 part klucel G to 5 parts alcohol ( ready in about 4 hours or ideally overnight) I create very small batches. literally, 1/2 teaspoon as I'm one person in a small studio typically working on one project at a time. make sure your mixture is in an air-tight container. if the adhesive dehydrates on you slightly, you can add more drops until you get your consistency good again. it's not overly expensive so don't hesitate to discard and create a new batch if needed.

you can use denatured alcohol, but I use 94% grain alcohol which is found at the liquor store. in the States i believe it's called Everclear. using grain alcohol has less of an odour which i like because there are no additives(deterrents) which is mixed with denatured alcohol so that people won't drink it... the same deal as to why they add deterrents in mouth wash.

fun fact: 95% alcohol is illegal to sell in Canada so they sell it at 94% lol...
grain alcohol is also very expensive here. denatured alcohol sells for about $10 - $20 a litre, where grain alcohol at the liquor store sells for $100+ a bottle
but it has been lasting me a long time so far.

i also personally believe that the additives used in denatured alcohol can cause harm to the paper
there are youtube videos where people have distilled denatured alcohol to create pure 200 full proof alcohol and you can see the dark powder remnants left behind in the end.

hope this helps and good luck!
-Manny

Manny Costa

True Grumbler
Hi Joe, I actually have never used wheatpaste adhesives with Japanese paper hinging... but used pressure-sensitive tapes and gummed linen tapes when i first began hinging paper

In my opinion, picture framers (especially on this forum) who use wheat paste with water for mounting are actually VERY skilled at hinging and have many years of experience doing this properly. if you can master using wheat paste or klucel G with Water ( which i truly believe we all should) then using klucel G with alcohol is in fact much easier which was why I truthfully began to use it in the first place as I've only been framing on all realms from beginning to end since 2018.

the mix ratio I use is 1 part klucel G to 5 parts alcohol ( ready in about 4 hours or ideally overnight) I create very small batches. literally, 1/2 teaspoon as I'm one person in a small studio typically working on one project at a time. make sure your mixture is in an air-tight container. if the adhesive dehydrates on you slightly, you can add more drops until you get your consistency good again. it's not overly expensive so don't hesitate to discard and create a new batch if needed.

you can use denatured alcohol, but I use 94% grain alcohol which is found at the liquor store. in the States i believe it's called Everclear. using grain alcohol has less of an odour which i like because there are no additives(deterrents) which is mixed with denatured alcohol so that people won't drink it... the same deal as to why they add deterrents in mouth wash.

fun fact: 95% alcohol is illegal to sell in Canada so they sell it at 94% lol...
grain alcohol is also very expensive here. denatured alcohol sells for about $10 - $20 a litre, where grain alcohol at the liquor store sells for $100+ a bottle
but it has been lasting me a long time so far.

i also personally believe that the additives used in denatured alcohol can cause harm to the paper
there are youtube videos where people have distilled denatured alcohol to create pure 200 full proof alcohol and you can see the dark powder remnants left behind in the end.

hope this helps and good luck!
-Manny
oh! another thing I'd like to add is that you don't necessarily need blotters for mounting with klucel G and alcohol. I apply the adhesive onto the hinge with an artist pallet knife on a small scrap of glass. apply onto the artwork and with the same palet knife carefully embed the adhesive and hinge into the paper removing any potential squeeze out. I then place a hinge separator, followed by mat board, then weight. (remember you don't need to remove the alcohol as you would with water) lastly!, I'll also add that I don't create T hinges... just single tab hinges, I use Linco PVA glue to mount the other end of the hinge to the backing. T hinging is unnecessary with this type of method of hinging.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Thanks Manny - great information. I will be on the way to the liquor store tomorrow for the Everclear - if I can't use it for framing I can drink it - it will not go to waste :rolleyes: All your information makes lots of sense. I have been using rice paste and mulberry paper for 20 plus years and am satisfied with my installations. The biggest problem I have had is with thin paper - I have to let the rice paste mostly dry before installation to prevent cockling, I'm thinking with Klucel G I will be able to apply the paste and install the hinges quicker to save time. Thanks again :beer:

Keencut Ultimat Futura Precision Mat Cutter

Manny Costa

True Grumbler
Thanks Manny - great information. I will be on the way to the liquor store tomorrow for the Everclear - if I can't use it for framing I can drink it - it will not go to waste :rolleyes: All your information makes lots of sense. I have been using rice paste and mulberry paper for 20 plus years and am satisfied with my installations. The biggest problem I have had is with thin paper - I have to let the rice paste mostly dry before installation to prevent cockling, I'm thinking with Klucel G I will be able to apply the paste and install the hinges quicker to save time. Thanks again :beer:
all the best! just remember to don't drink and hinge! FADM (Framers against drunk mounting)

SmallCorp Welded Aluminum Frames, Acrylic Cases, Frames