Mitre Mite V-Nailer Shooting 2 Nails at once

ArtMechanics

True Grumbler
Hi, I'm having an issue with my Mitre Mite VN-42. It is shooting 2 nails at once and jamming. Also, the driver seems to be slipping off the nail sometimes bending the bottom of the nail. It is most noticeable on the 15mm head, but I've reproduced it on the 10mm head too.

I tried multiple boxes of different nails and still get the problem. I've had no trouble with firing until now.

What do you think? Do I need to replace the driver? The block? Or both?

Thanks

The driver sounds to be ok - it's driving the nails. The block may be worn to the point of allowing 2 nails at once but both the 15mm and the 10mm block go bad at the same time? Not likely and I don't think the driver would bend or wear to the point of driving 2 nails. Are you trying to save money by using nails that are off brands and not sold by Fletcher ITW-AMP? I have seen off brand nails that is doing exactly what is happening with you because the nails I believe are made thinner therefor are allowing two nails to pass through the block with one shot - if you are buying off brand I would try OEM nails before I went much further.

Thanks. Yeah my 15mm are generic and I've had batches of bad nails too. I'm trying new nails for sure. But my 10mm are amp nails and although they aren't shooting out 2 something isn't quite right and I still have the problem with the driver slipping off the nail and bending the bottom. Both blocks are pretty well used the machine is about 10 years old. I'm not sure if the driver has ever been replaced either.

Check the v nail side where the block fits up against and make sure the allen screw is tight.
This happened to me once and there was glue build upon inside of the block and the front edge where it contacts the posts. You maybe that lucky.

I broke down and cleaned everything. Including removing the piece the block screws to and cleaning the shaft of the driver ect before posting last night. Still acting weird. My first reaction was the nails are bad. I'm getting some new ones today from a different source. Hopefully that's it. Thanks for the advice.

Without any nails bring the plunger to the upper most position. Glue builds up between the driver and the driver body at the very top - try digging that dried glue out, that may help you with the hammer slipping off of the nail. Also check that the hammer is tight and not moving when the plunger is moving upward. Lots of luck, I hope it is something simple.

Well it seems it was the nails (again). I guess I'm through with getting generic ones. Although I've had bad batches of amp nails too, I noticed something interesting. They are shaped differently. It's hard to tell how, but they won't sit side by side (as of they were still collated). Thanks for the help and feedback.

My hardwood 10mm nails from 888 seem to be good so far. One row had some sticking and not firing, but on the whole they've been good.

Hi, I'm having an issue with my Mitre Mite VN-42. It is shooting 2 nails at once and jamming. Also, the driver seems to be slipping off the nail sometimes bending the bottom of the nail. It is most noticeable on the 15mm head, but I've reproduced it on the 10mm head too.

I tried multiple boxes of different nails and still get the problem. I've had no trouble with firing until now.
What do you think? Do I need to replace the driver? The block? Or both?
Thanks
Read Joe's post....;)
The driver sounds to be ok - it's driving the nails. The block may be worn to the point of allowing 2 nails at once but both the 15mm and the 10mm block go bad at the same time? Not likely and I don't think the driver would bend or wear to the point of driving 2 nails. Are you trying to save money by using nails that are off brands and not sold by Fletcher ITW-AMP? I have seen off brand nails that is doing exactly what is happening with you because the nails I believe are made thinner therefor are allowing two nails to pass through the block with one shot - if you are buying off brand I would try OEM nails before I went much further.

I think that Joe nailed it (sorry for the pun:rolleyes:).
I just read this thread and my first thought was "off brand v-nails".
Also, make sure that you're not loading the v-nails upside down, they don't come in cartridges like the Cassese ones and the Mitre Mite ones can go in upside down which will give you a problem.

I have used Mitre Mites in the past I've even repaired them.
I always used the factory v-nails and never had a problem with the v-nails or the blocks.
The only problems I had over the years with a Mitre Mite were some air leaks due to worn out o-rings, easily fixable.
The blocks can wear out eventually, although I never had that happen and the chances of having 2 bad blocks would be remote.
Those blocks are not cheap, about $80 each the last time I looked.

I think that somewhere in the Mitre Mite info, they even say that using aftermarket v-nails can even wear out the blocks prematurely because of slight differences in the production of the after market v-nails and the machining of the factory blocks.
It may be that the previous owner used after market v-nails for years and it lead to the premature wearing away of the metal in the blocks over time.

Last edited:
For whatever reason, as my machine (a VN2+1) aged, I have found I have better performance with generic v-nails. The AMP "pulling power" nails have a very particular shape to them, which I believe can make them more susceptible to jamming/shearing if they are not manufactured exactly right. I used to have problems with them, esp. the 7mm. Then I changed to the nails from V-Nail.com, and never had any more problems. When they went out of business, I started using the ones from Decor Moulding (item #621 for the 10mm), and they work perfectly.
:cool: Rick

There is 1 other thing I didn't think about. If the block is not tightly attached to the ram you may be firing 2 nails (stacked). Make sure the block is tightly screwed onto the ram. Just another thing to think about. Joe

Are you tightening the set screw in the back of the magazine to the piston post? That has to be tight or else it will allow 2 nails to go thru.

Are you tightening the set screw in the back of the magazine to the piston post? That has to be tight or else it will allow 2 nails to go thru.

Good catch dpframing - I think that we are talking about the same thing, I just used the wrong name for the parts. I should have called it a nail head where the v nail is driven through and has the screw in it to attach securely to the block (L-Support Block). You are right, if the nail head is not properly tightened to the L-Support Block 2 nails could pass through at a time.

Just saw your post, Joe. We said the same thing. I was too lazy to read thru the posts before I put my 2 cents in :eek:

Thanks for all of the feedback. Yes everything was clean and tight. I even took what I'm assuming is the L-support off and cleaned/adjusted it before posting.

Yes, I too have had better results with the generic nails until now. There is an actual physical difference that I didn't know about. The Alphamachine Amp nails are actually just a hair wider. I changed to them and the issue was solved. Whew, I'm glad it was a simple fix.

Back