• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Miter Saw

• Thread starter Scott_The_Photographer
  • Start date
S

Scott_The_Photographer

I am looking into cutting my own frames. I have already ordered the Clearmount system but was going to buy a saw local. I was curious if you were to buy a miter saw would you suggest a 10 inch or a 12 inch?

Paul Cascio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Better check with Clearmount and see what they recommend. It may be that some brands are a better match. Also, while a 12-inch saw let's you cut wider mouldings, the Clearmount you bought may only work with a 10-inch saw.

David Waldmann

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Also, the bigger the saw the bigger the potential problems. If you don't need the capacity, stick with a smaller one.

prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
A 12" blade will give you a little more capacity, but at a cost. A 10" blade will cope easily with 99% of anything you will realistically need to cut. There is the odd profile where the blade will not quite go all the way though. But that's on 4"+ wide mouldings of which there aren't many. In cases like this it's easy enough to finish the cut with a handsaw.

Jeff Rodier

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Also, the bigger the saw the bigger the potential problems. If you don't need the capacity, stick with a smaller one.
Like David mentions here plus do the math. How many wide frames will you need to cut. If the number is small it will take a lot of time to break even on the price difference in saw and blades plus sharpening. If you only need to order one frame per month as a chop because of width then the smaller saw would be the way to go. If you needed to upgrade a couple years down the road there is a good chance you would be buying more of a commercial set up than a single miter saw so you would be able to sell this one and put the money toward a large saw.

Donmar Creations