• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

MG help

SusanG

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Has anyone ever had a case of MG that would not cut? I've been cutting glass with a hand held cutter for 34 years, so I think that I've got it down. (a little sarcasm...) I even broke out a new cutter. I am cutting the correct side. Any help?
🙁
Has this happened to anyone? Thanks!

Nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
The TrueVue Museum and Conservation Glass have a side that is better to cut.
Full-size new sheets have a little line of text printed along one edge indicating which side is to be cut.

If you have an off-cut that doesn't have the text on it try this...
In an inconspicuous corner use a sharp razor or needle to try to scratch the surface.

The coated side should make a little scratch, the non-coated side should just slide along the glass surface.
It can take a little practice to figure out exactly how much pressure to use.

The "scratchy" side is the coated side, which is probably stopping the glass cutter form making a nice sharp clean score to break along.

Once you have identified the "scratchy" side, try cutting the non-scratchy side.
If you have any other pieces that are not labeled which side is which, do this technique then mark the coated side with a little line of black marker along the edge.

SusanG

Thanks Nikodeumus! I did check to see which side scratches. It was labeled correctly. I just cut six other pieces of glass from other boxes ( CC and MG) and they cut perfectly. I think that it is the glass. Has this happened to anyone?

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Thanks Nikodeumus! I did check to see which side scratches. It was labeled correctly. I just cut six other pieces of glass from other boxes ( CC and MG) and they cut perfectly. I think that it is the glass. Has this happened to anyone?
Haven't had that happen to me.
I also cut glass by hand for about 30 years before using the Fletcher wall cutter for the last 21 years.
I used the Fletcher gold ball hand cutter and I still use it once in a while to cut odd shapes by hand, ovals and such.

I'm sure that you know what you're doing.
That doesn't mean that you don't have a bad box of glass....
Stuff happens in this business, sometimes when you least expect it.:icon9:

Have a Good One, Susan.
Neil

Last edited:

Nikodeumus

Come to think of it, on occasion I have had a piece of glazing be reluctant to score cleanly.
The cutting wheel on my Fletcher wall cutter kind of "slides" along the glass instead of making a nice sharp score.
I just assumed it was a dull cutting wheel, or improper pressure. Maybe it was flawed glazing instead?
There must be someone here who knows about the science of glazing.
Maybe the molecules line up in a weird way, or the exact content of the materials makes them more resistant to cutting?!?!?
It's a head-scratcher!

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

artfolio

Weird things definitely happen with glass.

One reason I rarely cut glass on my wall-mounted cutter was a nasty experience early in my framing career; I went to cut a new lite into a frame on the bench. I positioned it, used a moulding offcut to support the overhanging edge and confidently scored my first line. The cutter was barely halfway through the cut when the glass just cracked in every direction and my lite became a collection of large, irregular shards.

I squared the bigger bits for future use and they all cut neatly and easily as did the other lites in that box so what happened remained a bit of mystery but for most of the rest of my framing life I always cut my glass on a bench.

Some things only happen once but I didn't want to risk a repeat.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Weird things definitely happen with glass.

One reason I rarely cut glass on my wall-mounted cutter was a nasty experience early in my framing career; I went to cut a new lite into a frame on the bench. I positioned it, used a moulding offcut to support the overhanging edge and confidently scored my first line. The cutter was barely halfway through the cut when the glass just cracked in every direction and my lite became a collection of large, irregular shards.

I squared the bigger bits for future use and they all cut neatly and easily as did the other lites in that box so what happened remained a bit of mystery but for most of the rest of my framing life I always cut my glass on a bench.

Some things only happen once but I didn't want to risk a repeat.
We've had this happen a couple of times, when the bottom of the glass wasn't seated against the back rail of the cutter. Any space, and this happens. It also cuts better when I crouch down during cutting. If I stay standing, something about the pressure makes the bottom want to crack. Works great, as long as we move down with it. The bottom of the cutter is fairly low to the floor (maybe 24"), so that could be part of it.

SusanG

Thanks everyone. If I hear anything from the company, I will let you know. I know that they will make good on it, but it is very time consuming when this happens. I hope that you are all busy, healthy and happy. :thumbsup:

alacrity8

I've had Museum Glass labeled incorrectly, but it will always cut in my experience,
On non-defective Museum Glass I have been able to cut on the wrong side with a bit of extra pressure. Not intentionally.

Kyle Henson

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I wouldn't be so sure about TV making good on it. More than likely it would be your distributor that would "make good". In my experience.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
It is likely that the distributer would make good, but TruVue would make good with them.
This is correct. Tru Vue is among the framing suppliers that provide very liberal replacement policies for their distributors. According to the typical agreements, the makers agree to compensate the distributor for replacements provided, which usually ends up being either more product or a credit to their account.

In any case, the maker (Tru Vue in this case) wants the end user to be satisfied. So, if the distributor does not cooperate, you can bet that Tru Vue would intervene and make it right.

SusanG

I have no doubts that it will be made right. I just hope that the replacement boxes are not of the same run.

Kyle Henson

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
My issues with TV Optium went all the way up the chain. After several emails back and forth and a phone call from TV I still have the 3240 sheet in my bin from well over a year ago. I made right by my customer. The distributor nor TruVue made right by me. Your mileage may vary.

Terry Hart cpf

I've definitely had pieces that seemed to have a "grain" where it would score & snap easily in one direction but against the grain it would be very difficult. I didn't think that was a thing with glass but it's happened quite a few times. Enough that I'm pretty sure it's the glass and not me. Do you have the same problem scoring in either direction Susan?

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

SusanG

Cutting the short side is more difficult, but both seem to want to break in bites. I got my replacement glass in and it of the same run with the same exact problem. I don't know what to do.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Call them again. It might be the whole batch. Maybe they used the same coating on both sides, you know, the side that you can’t score or snap correctly?

If your older MG has no,problem, it is this batch.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202